HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
fauxgypsy

Talking Lump on sternum

First, just let me say I think of y'all often but I am just swamped at work. This first year teaching is not quite overwhelming.I miss you all. I wish that I could have gone to San Antonio. Hope everyone had a great time and learned a lot! Hope you have a healthy new year!

Second, about two months ago, I developed a lump on my sternum, near the bottom (Xiphoid process ), on the right, it is about and inch and a half across and not real noticeable. You can feel it if you run your fingers across it. It is a little tender (sometimes) but not showing any inflammation or redness.

It didn't show up on the PET scan I had the end of November, though it was present then. My doctor ordered an ultrasound guided biopsy but they couldn't find anything to biopsy. It just showed up as thickened tissue. Nothing clear, no tumor, etc. At the moment we are watching it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Love, Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
freyja

Re: Lump on sternum

Leslie! I don't have any info but I'm glad to see you here and glad it seems to be nothing to worry about! Hope you had a good winter break. I had frozen water pipes that burst over the ceiling and spent the holidays in a construction zone getting a new kitchen ceiling, and now I'll be thinking of you this week when I'm repainting the faux finish I had done on it 7 years ago! Wish you were here!
Love, Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Midwest Alice

Hey Leslie, Have fun teaching!! I am also followed with ultrasounds for changes. The areas they are calling fatty somthing. I will have to look. They do not show up on PET.

Hope this helps, Alice
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
CLTann

What a coincidence. I have a friend in Eugene who is a professor living alone there. He wanted to save heat and left the house unheated. He had his water pipes leaking everywhere. His neighbor called him to come back from Portland. The funny thing was that after repair the bursted pipes, he still left the house unheated. That shows Ph.D's are not all smart.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Jackie07

They are smart all right. What they are lack of is 'common sense', as my Father-in-law says about his PhD daughter. I think 'smart people' refuse to believe things that they can't figure out logically. But keeping the house heated should be the rational thing to do. (He ought to know the fact that warm air goes up, cold air goes down...)

We had experienced the 'water on the roof (ceiling)' problem in summer 2007 just before my 2nd Sister arrived to take care of me after my mastectomy. It was summer time and preventing 'mold' became our priority. Luckily we got the roof replaced before another rain storm hit Central Texas...

Leslie, I'm so glad there's nothing to worry about.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-05-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
schoolteacher

Leslie,

Glad to hear from you.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Chelee

Hi Leslie, I'm glad everything checked out positive with the lump. That has to be a sigh of relief. It's always good to stay on top of things and remain pro-active but it sounds like all is ok...that's wonderful.

I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with with the lump...but glad you checked in and let us all know your doing ok. You sound like you've been busy girl. Keep us updated now and then if you find time. Take care and hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
juanita

i've had a lump on my sternum for a couple years and have ct scans to follow it. the rad onc thinks it may have been from a broken rib along the sternum and it's a calcium build up.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote