HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Kim in CA

Oh PooP...Herceptin Holiday Over!

First of all, appologies for not being more active on this board as of late. Hubby and I are in the process of selling our home of the last 23 years, and it has been very stressful.

Anyway, just wanted to update you on my Herceptin Holiday. After stopping the Herceptin last year, my markers started to climb again in June of this year. The Her2 Serum was the first to go up, followed by the CA 15-3. My labs drawn last week showed Her2 serum at 26 and CA 15-3 at 49. Since my markers have always been a pretty reliable indicator for me, we decided I should go back on Herceptin ASAP.

I am really frustrated though because the soonest I can get an appointment to get my infusion is in two weeks, and I just remember how fast my cancer spread the last time I had a recurrence to my liver in 2001. I've asked to be notified if there are any cancelations so I can get my infusion sooner, but they've made so many cutbacks in staff at my Oncology center, I'm sure it won't happen.

So, it has been a nice holiday, but I hope I've not opened a can of worms that is going to come back to bite me big time! I know I've been very lucky in my fight with this disease, but if I'd known it would take so long to get back on Herceptin when I need it, I'd have probably never stopped it in the first place.

Sorry for the rant......just makes me so frustrated.

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
chrisy

Re: Oh PooP...Herceptin Holiday Over!

Hi kim,
Sorry other your holiday has to be cut short. I was hoping for a permanent vacay for you. But now you know.

You have been very diligent in monitoring the status of things, you are on top of it and the 2 weeks, if needed, will pass quickly.

Don't forget to breathe
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Ellie F

Good luck Kim,I hope you get a cancellation as waiting is so frustrating. Will your onc now do scans just to check things out or have you already had these?
Hugs
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
StephN

Dear Kim -
Sorry to see your body LOVES Herceptin THAT much!
Breaking up was hard to do, huh?

Wondered what other tests you have had? What scans to look for any sites of mets?
You did not mention any, and I know before I took any treatment I would want to know what I was dealing with.
For instance you may want to try Tykerb with Herceptin or some other combo depending on what is causing the elevation in markers.

Hope the new home will be near a good place to ride your horse.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
tricia keegan

Kim sorry your vacation was stopped but of course its better than the alternative and the two weeks will pass quickly, hope you're happy in your new home too.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Pray

Can't you take your infusion from a different cancer site? Though my Dad did not have herceptin he did go to another center for just one infusion of chemo. Just a thought.

Your in my prayers,

Peace,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
'lizbeth

Ah Poop. I hate waiting too.

Don't kick yourself. You will likely be just fine with the Herceptin holiday.

In fact, the cancer cells will likely say "Oh crap! It's that H stuff again, we're toast!"

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 08-04-2012 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Kim in CA

I'm feeling a little less frustrated today.

I have my docs cell phone number, and hate to use it, but I phoned him yesterday to tell him that I was not happy about having to wait two weeks to get my Herceptin. He was actually at the hospital seeing patients, and sounded a little annoyed by my call. When I told him the scheduling dept. had me coming in on the 15th despite the fact he had written "ASAP" on my orders, he got more involved. I got a call late yesterday from scheduling saying they were changing my appt. to this Monday. Yeah!

I had already tried to see if I could get an appt. at another location, to no avail.

I will also be getting a PET/CT scan as well, to see what might be brewing inside me. I suspect it's in my abdomen though, cause a couple of weeks ago I started noticeing an unusual feeling of fullness whenever I eat anything. At least for now, I will be getting my Herceptin, and then we will add to it when we know what's going on.

I have become a very "squeaky wheel" when I know something isn't right, after my experience in 2001. I was so naive back then. When my tumor markers first became elevated in June of 2001, we waited a month and then rechecked them. I figured if anything was up they would give me a call.

Well somehow I slipped through the cracks, and by the time they called me to order further testing, and got the results of the scans and ultra sound, my liver was riddled with tumors. My CA15-3 had been at 48 in June, and by the time I started on my Herceptin and Taxotere at the end of September, they were over 1000 and it was getting difficult to button up my jeans!

I made my Doc promise he would never let this happen again, but sometimes I think he gets complacent because I've done so well for so long. You just can't ever let your guard down when it comes to this disease!

Also want to mention, that my doc didn't have much faith in the Her2 Serum test, but he is now rethinking that position. His experience with me is teaching him, that yes, some tests are very accurate, for certain people.

Thanks to this board I started requesting that test a few years ago, and it was the first marker to go up in my case. My Her2 Serum results have never been low, even when I was on Herceptin (usually between 11 and 15) so going off the Herceptin might not have been the best strategy. I really did enjoy the break though. My energy level seemed to really increase, and my finger nails have even gotten noticeably thicker!

Unfortunately, I've always said, when I'm feeling really good, I think my cancer starts to feel good too. At least I've always been able lead a pretty normal life while on the Herceptin and Femara. I will miss the extra energy I've had, the last year, but it's not going to stop me from staying active.

I'm still hoping to get my new young horse out on the trail soon, and maybe into some limited distance endurance rides at some point! :-)

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Jackie07

Yes!

Glad your assertiveness helped get things moving!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
StephN

Thanks, Kim, for the complete update.

You have things WELL in hand now that you got your nerve up to use the onc's cell number. That is why you have it - to use when you need him!

All the best for the scans to show a minimum of mets that you slap right back down.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Lori R

Kim,
While the reason for your recent post isn't the best of situations, I was glad to hear from you and of course view that beautiful picture of you and your horse. When I joined the board 5 years ago, your picture was an inspiration that someone with cancer COULD remain active and lead life filled with the things they love to do.

You were SO right to be the squeaky wheel. As you know, being passive with this disease is not a winning strategy. The herceptin has been so effective in the past, I am sure it will get back to the business of killing those cancer cells.

Here's to a speedy herceptin infusion....please keep us posted.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Ellie F

Kim
Glad you got this resolved quickly. After all it's your life not your oncs here. Let us know how your scans go. Hoping there will be nothing sinister to report.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Hello Kim,

I too am glad to hear from you, though wish you weren't in this spot.

Like Steph, I'd definitely want to know what CT scans say. (Believe it or not, my fav onc doesn't believe in PETs and I've never had one.)

A few yrs ago, while off Herceptin for 2 yrs my tumor markers -- CA 27.29 -- that's the one we check started to go up. Scary. I couldn't wait the 3 mnths till the next bld test, so we tested in a mnth. Fav onc acquiesced as I was a mess.

My number was even higher. Same deal. Next mnth tested and was getting pretty frantic, as you can well imagine. (It was ME who found my metastasis throughout my liver requesting a sono when liver enzymes came back slightly, very very slightly elevated -- 3 x...) so I do stay on top of all my numbers. Gather every report. Compare every report w/previous reports. Study them. Who cares more about me than me. Docs are busy...

Talk abut run on sentences! I don't think that was a sentence. Anyway, 3rd CA 27.29 tumor marker test came back w/me -- out of normal range! Utter panic.

My fav onc said, In situations like this one of us must remain calm. We'll wait and try 1 more mnth. Other onc in NY said, What are you waiting for???!!!! You're trending upwards. Get back on the Herceptin, Andrea! My thoughts exactly.

Well, next test showed that my number had plummeted. Gone way way down. Mid normal.

In retrospect, I had been sick for 3 mnths w/a weird flu. My body was messed up. And that was reflected in my CA 27.29. I healed and got myself back to normal apparently. They tested that last number twice, cause they couldn't believe it! Came back the same.

Sharing my story to give you a little perspective, Kim. Hopefully all the stress you've been under (w/the selling of your 20 something yr old home) is the culprit. Not the return of cancer. Which is our first thought, once we've been through all we've been through. Learned a lot.

I too was so naive back in the day. Go riding. Live life. Breathe. Please keep us all updated. We're all in this with you now.

PS -- I am now 4 yrs off of H. It's there if I need it, but so far, I remain stable. So say my CTs and my blood work. I wish just that for you, Kim.

With love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Kim in CA

Angry Re: Oh PooP...Herceptin Holiday Over!

Just an update on my PET scan and return to Herceptin.

First of all, big relief.....PET scan didn't show anything abnormal!

Now, spoiler alert, I'm gonna rant a bit!

After my Onc got the scheduling dept. to move my first Herceptin infusion to Aug. 6th, I had more hoops to jump through.

When I arrived at my appt. I was told they couldn't give me the infusion because they didn't have authorization from my insurance yet.

Now, I have been told by my insurance (Blue Shield) that no authorization is required for metastatic Her2 positive breast cancer. I have told this to the scheduling & authorizations dept. many times, but they insist that they still have to request it, and then wait for the letter that says I don't need authorization. Blue shield has told me that all the doctor's authorization person has to do is call the Blue Shield Medical Management Dept, and they can get authorization over the phone, but this wasn't good enough for them I guess, cause they just weren't cooperating. They said if you will just come back in a few days, we should have authorization by then.

I ended up telling them I would "self pay" just so I could get my Herceptin! Thank goodness my Visa card wasn't maxed out!

I'm still fuming at the the whole scenario! Anyway, all I can say is that I'm glad to be back on Herceptin, as my CA15-3 had gone from 49.3 on July 23rd to 76 on August 6th, and my Her2 Serum had gone from 26.8 to 49! That's a bigger jump than it made back in 2001 right before it spread like wildfire.

I just hate to get so mad (cause it's so not me) but our medical system is so dysfunctional. My husband and I pay a King's ransome ( over $30,0000 a year and one of the reasons we're selling our home) to have good medical insurance, and then we still have to go through garbage like this.

OK.....feel better now to have let off steam, thanks for listening!

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla