HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Christine MH-UK

Cmyc a possible indicator of high benefit from herceptin

http://www.nsabp.pitt.edu/cMYC_Press_Release_121505.pdf

Sorry, I can't copy from the pdf, but basically herceptin-based chemo seems to reduce the risk of recurrence by twice as much in women with cmyc+ breast cancer (76%) versus cmyc- breast cancer (37%). There were no recurrences after two years in the cmyc amplified patients herceptin-treated patients. This reverses the worse prognosis of cmyc+ patients, perhaps because cmyc and her2 work together to worsen the prognosis.

Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Gina

Yes, the c-Myc is also involved in h. pylori disease

"c-Myc is an important mediator of macrophage activation and may contribute to the mucosal inflammatory response to pathogens such as H. pylori by its effect on ornithine decarboxylase"...it may be that one reason I have had such a good response with the Herceptin all these years is because I have the c-myc as it is well documented that I also have intracellular h. pylori infection...an infection that pre-dates my her-2 disease and the c-Myc is involved with the cox-2 over-expression and the inflammation your body makes in response to the microbe...FASCINATING...

Thanks! GREAT post...

Take care,
Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hi, also found this article...hmmm...interesting...

Expression of C-myc gene protein and epidermal growth factor receptor in gastric mucosa pre- and post-Helicobacter pylori clearance

Jin-Hua Gao, Hou-Jie Liang, Wei-Wen Liu, Dian-Chun Fang and Zhen-Hua Wang

Department of Gastroenterology, Southwest Hospital, the Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China

Abstract

AIM To investigate the effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on the expression of C-myc gene protein and epidermal growth
factor receptor (EGFR) in gastric mucosa.

METHODS The expression of C-myc gene protein and EGFR was quantitatively studied by flow cytometry and indirect immunofluorescence methods, proliferative cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) was analysed by immunochemistry method.

RESULTS The percentage of positive cells and mean fluorescence intensity of C-myc protein and EGFR were significantly increased in Hp infected mucosa and significantly decreased after Hp clearance with triple therapy. This change was similar to that in proliferative activity indicated by PCNA labeling index.

CONCLUSION The over expression of C-myc gene protein and EGFR may be the molecular basis for hyperproliferation of gastric mucosal epithelium induced by Hp infection.

Subject headingsHelicobacter pylori; gastric mucosa; C-myc gene protein; receptor, epidermal growth factor

Gao JH, Liang HJ, Liu WW, Fang DC, Wang ZH. Expression of Cmyc gene protein and epidermal growth factor receptor in gastric mucosa pre and postHelicobacter pylori clearance.Shijie Huaren Xiaohua Zazhi,1999;7(12):1018-1019

Gina
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Sheryl

C-myc Gene

Hi! Did the article mention how one is tested for the C-myc Gene? I just read an article in Dec.'05 re: positive respond to Herceptin for those with amplification of the C-myc Gene as well as HER2 pos. None of my physicians seem to know much about this gene.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Rich

I posted a very similar article here last year. it was a couple years old at that time. Funny how this stuff surfaces, then seems to go away, then comes back as if new.