HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
JessicaV

Struggling over justice, money and difficult people

As I struggle against fatigue, insurance companies, and seeing a couple of clients on a back-to-work trial, I am having a very upsetting problem with a web developer. His wife is a local fellow psychologist I had known professionally for a couple of years and thought was a friend, and she recommended him, so I engaged him about a year prior to my cancer diagnosis to build me a website.
He insisted on a $1500 deposit before even meeting. (We never did get to meet) After a couple of months, since I had still not really managed to put together much about what text and pictures etc I wanted, I paid it as a gesture of good faith. And at the same time, I emailed him to say not to start yet cos I was not ready yet. Between then (Oct 2012 and Dec 2014, I several times suggested possible approximate dates to meet but always had to cancel them because I could not make it. Because of my increasing health problems with serious knee injuries (which I believe was part of the same VitD deficiency syndrome that I believe was a big part of the cause of my cancer) and then the Jan 2014 cancer diagnosis, surgery and TCH Chemo, and then ongoing severe fatigue, I was never actually ready till May of this year.
No contract was ever signed, just a quote, invoice and receipt, plus annual bills for domain reg at $50 per year. (So he has no contractual right to keep that money.) I kept in touch, emailing him every few months, and he occasionally emailed me to ask what I wanted to do with my website. Finally in May 2015 I emailed him all my pics and text and info re design and said I was ready to get this show on the road. First he said he would do it but it would take a long time because he is now working full time doing other (non-webdesign) work. I was prepared to be flexible so long so long as we had a first meeting and timeline.
Now he says he cannot do it at all, which I do understand, and would be fine with. Except that he has also decided the $1500 is his, that "you can't ask for refunds after more than 2 years", and that I have no right to ask for it back. He is quoting terms and conditions that he now wants to impose that mean I broke our agreement by taking more that 4weeks.
Alternatively he wants to charge me $900 for hosting a website that never existed, plus $200 for the last year's domain registration and pay the balance. I have tried to say I am willing to consider actually losses he has incurred at cost. But he will not produce any receipts for amounts he has had to pay, and seems to be thinking he can just through inflated costs at me and expect them to be paid out of my deposit.
The Business Dev Centre tell me that I have every right to have that money back, but may have to take it through the Magistrate's Court or hire a debt collector. They are currently trying to mediate, but they doubt that he will budge.
I am somewhat shocked at being treated like this, and even more at being made to battle to get my money back after my battle with cancer.
Furthermore, I have just discovered that he is a 38yr old paraplegic because he did very foolish things on fast bikes as a 15yr old. So he is in a wheelchair, and I gather is very good at using this to get his own way. I am worried that a Magistrate may well be influenced by this.
The whole thing is a massive energy drain, and I feel really stupid for paying over that much money without a contract and without being ready to start. if I could afford it, I would just drop the whole thing, but currently I am taking money from our small offset account on our large expensive family mortgage to pay for essentials. Because my husband earns over $60,000 before tax I am not eligible for help from Legal Aid.
Any suggestions? I am in Western Australia.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Lucy

Re: Struggling over justice, money and difficult people

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this on top of everything else. Did the exchanges between you about he would do it but it would take a long time and then saying he couldn't do it at all occur in writing? If so I would think that would weigh in your favor especially if the timing between the two was fairly close together.

I don't normally encourage this but if he were to play the paraplegic card, play the cancer card. You're still dealing with it and it wasn't anything you did that caused it to happen.

I'm not familiar with the legal options in Australia so I can't offer a lot of advice but I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get your money back.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
thinkpositive

Jessica,

Your probably aren't going to like my response but you asked for suggestions. I would just let it go and chalk the whole thing up to a learning experience. It was a $1500 learning experience. In my opinion, the time and energy it will take to pursue this is not worth the negative impact it will have on your mental and physical health. It is always a good idea to put things like this in writing to avoid these types of problems.

Take care,
Brenda
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
tricia keegan

Lucy said what I was thinking, play the cancer card if he decide's to use his own position to gain sympathy. I don't know if you have a small claims court there, we have one here in Ireland and we can take someone to court fairly cheaply up to a max of around E2000, hopefully you can do something similar and get this money back which is rightfully yours. I'm sorry you have to deal with this though.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
BonnieR

It's obvious that you are in the right and have the documentation to back it up(email correspondences etc). But it's my guess that he doesn't have the money to pay, even if you did win in court. in his mind, it's water under the bridge and money long spent
Absolutly he must not get another dime from you with his absurd demands
But you have been without this money for several years and I fear it will cost you more, both emotionally and financially, to get it back.
Have you spoken to the wife?
It sounds like they are in some pretty sad circumstances themselves
I hope mediation will be productive
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote