HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
DianneS

Skin mets? Symptoms?

I have had raised, itchy welts on my scalp and along my lower spine off & on for months. They appear then disappear. I am on a lot of supplements and wonder if it could be that. Or could it be skin mets?

Has anyone had the same thing?

Thank you,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Westcoastgirl

Re: Skin mets? Symptoms?

I had a similar rash but on the mastectomy site of the affected breast so that made me doubly anxious. It would be more like hives and itchy as can be. Sometimes it turned into more of a welt, esp if I itched it. It would disappear and reappear. Often it reappeared when I was hot and when I wore my prosthetics. I asked my onc about it and he did not think it was mets so we decided to watch it. I finally went to my family dr who probably has more experience with rashes and he prescribed a lotion that worked wonderfully. I have had this rash on and off for almost the entire time of my journey with bc. Now that I have had my reconstruction it seems I am not getting the rash anymore but then I am also not wearing my prosthetics and it is winter. I still think you should have it checked out but also think if it appears and reappears it is most likely not mets and just a rash as I had. All the best, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
tricia keegan

It's worth checking out but may be nothing. I just had a tiny spot on my calf checked and they said it was definatly a pre cancerous lesion and feel sure it'll become skin mets without treatment. I'm having a biospy and PDT in early Feb so glad I went to have it checked.

It's quite small, itchy when I'm warm and has a slightly scaly crust to the top and changes from red to pink now and then and I thought I was being foolish having it checked!!

Hope yours is nothing serious but have it looked at just incase
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
DianneS

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your reply. I just went to my walk in clinic and saw a doc who said it is most likely not mets but some type of rash. They will do a biopsy on Dec. 30 when my regular doc is back from holiday. He rx'd some anti itch meds. It's funny that your rash started along with your bc, too. Do you think it could be from the chemo? Herceptin? Mine also appears and disappears then comes back in another area. The doc had not seen any rash like this around the hairline before. It seems to get worse if I get hot, or anxious.

On a different note, I also had 8 nodes/8 negative. Did you get Herceptin at the beginning?

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
DianneS

Tricia,

Thank you for your input as well. I definitely am having it checked out. The doc says because it appears and disappears it is most likely NOT cancer. Cancer, he says, tends to stay and get worse. But we will biopsy it next week.

I'm glad you are getting the lesion taken care of! That's good that you're diligent. My husband had a little lesion removed (frozen) from his face. It was a painless procedure and only took a minute.

I didn't even know that breast cancer could travel to the skin. Now I have something else to fret about or at least be sure my doc gives me the once over when I come in for my 10,000 tune up.
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 12-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Jackie07

Dianne,

Elaine has posted the following for you. I'm pasting it here in case you haven't seen it:

I had trouble when I clicked on reply. Even though I was already logged on I kept getting notices asking me to log on again, so I am replying here. I hope this works.
Hi,
There are several things you can do.

1. Show them to your oncologist. Something he or she prescribed might be causing skin issues. Besides an oncologist should know what skin mets look like.
2. Show them to a good dermatologist. That person might be able to tell if they are skin mets or something else.
3. Go to www.ibcresearch.org. There are 2 links to pictures of skin mets near the bottom of the page.
4. Show them to the person who is prescribing your supplements.
5. Do a search for each of the medications (conventional and supplements) you are taking on the internet and check the side effects listed for skin issues.
6. Do a search on this website for skin mets. We have discussed this issue a number of times, so there should be a number of conversations devoted to skin mets on this site.

Good luck. Happy Holidays !! Good health to you in 2011.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Westcoastgirl

Hi Dianne,

I had radiation and I think that was probably the key to my rash. The first time the rash appeared it followed the line of the radiation. I of course posted on here and one lady suggested it was radiation recall. I think she was right. From then on it would appear and reappear and was mostly under where my breast would have been and as you say it mostly came when I was hot or anxious. The cream the family dr gave me took care of it. I still get little bits of the rash from time to time but just a little dab of the cream and it is gone the next day.

I had three months of A/C chemo before I started the Herceptin along with Taxol. I did that for another three months and then just Herceptin to finish off a year of Herceptin. It is a weary journey to be sure; and now always something we seem to need to be watchful of but I give thanks for each day I have had. I even have time to get anxious about trivial things now...sigh. I am closing in on my second cancerversary in 5 days. All the best, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
DianneS

Thank you Jackie and Carolyn. I appreciate your taking time to reply. Seems everything freaks me out these days. {Sigh}

I could not tell from the photos Jackie...some looked like what I have, some did not. The doc says it usually does not 'present' this way and I am otherwise well as far as labwork.

I didn't have radiation but the rash isn't anywhere around the surgery area. The doc does not think it is anything to fret about. That said, we are biopsing anyway next week. Always something to look forward to eh?

Carolyn, Happy Anniversary! that is a milestone. Keep on keepin on!
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved