HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Joanne S

Question anti-depressants & breast cancer

Ladies,

Did you take anti-depressants at any time prior to being diagnosed with breast cancer?

If so, please respond and advise how long were you taking them before your bc dx?

I'm just curious and wonder if anti-depressants may possibly have any effect or increase risk for breast cancer.

Thanks for your response.

I have been on Zoloft continuously for 14 years (13 years prior to my bc dx one year ago).
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Vanessa

I have been on antidepressants since I was 35 and I am now 47. I have taken Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Celexa and Lexapro. Of course, not at one time, but trying to find one that didn't make me gain weight. I'm glad you started this post, because I have wondered about that at times.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Kimberly Lewis

Red face

I am currently on Zoloft. Low dose - but decided to take this time to sort out my emotional life. I have started seeing a counselor - who is also a BC survivor! She is wonderful. It has been a huge help to me and I highly recomend it to anyone who feels like the cancer was the last straw so to speak.

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
great post...i had questions regarding the start of taking something before i began chemo. I think it takes some meds 2 plus wks to build in your system. I was just to worried about another drug in my body not to mention supplements.
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
nitewind

I have been on Prozac for ten years and was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of last year. Interesting thought.
Hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
cafe1084

I was put on prozac shortly after my dad died in 2006, coincidentally, just about the time the doc said my cancer may have started. Then again, at the time, I lost over 80 lbs, so it could have contributed i suppose, even though I was er <10%. I too keep looking for the culprit. Unfortunately, we will probably never pinpoint the exact cause or causes...shame, too, then we could stop the thing that started all this to begin with! I guess it is not for us to know why or how, just for us to survive and grow from.
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Bev

I was drug free except for Iron spplements before BC. I find myself wondering about the Iron now. I do Zoft now as all the BC treatment made me very anxious. We'll figure this out someday. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
MCS

interesting

I wished I had been on some form of anti depressant because I was on an extreme amount of stress at work for several years when dx. In my own mind, I am certain that this stress was the cause of my bc.

if not antidepressant then maybe something like an antianxiety such as zanax or ativan.

xoxo

maria
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
ckeesling

Hi,

I had been on and Prozac and Xanax for several years before my DX, mainly due to stress and anxiety. I had taken myself off prior to my complete hysterectomy in 2005.I was diagnosed in Nov 06 and immediately went on Lexapro.I hadn't heard of any connection, but this is very interesting..I to believe my cancer kicked in due to an abnormal amount of stress I was under....

Take care all
Cathy
ckeesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
R.B.

Balancing your omega threes and ensuring adequate intake of long chain omega threes DHA and EPA should assist neurological function.

At the most basic level neurons need DHA. Women have higher neuron density. Women have a higher DHA requirement.

Babies are DHA hoovers and may deplete a mothers brain DHA. Some women's brains do shrink in pregnancy.

This is a search of the NCBI library on DHA and depression. I have copied below as the list of trials is more powerful than any explanation I can give.

You may also be interested in the `Greek Diet' thread which looks at omega three and six and BC etc.

A trial in France where they looked at breast fat tissue at the same times as lump excisions produced the result that women in the highest third for DHA EPA fats in breast tissue had a 70% lower risk of the lumps being invasive.

If you click on the link below you will find the trial links below and more.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Selective deficits in the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid in the postmortem orbitofrontal cortex of patients with major depressive disorder.

"Deficits in DHA concentrations were greater in female MDD patients (-32%) than in male MDD patients (-16%), and could not be wholly attributed to lifestyle factors or postmortem tissue variables......
CONCLUSIONS: These results demonstrate a selective deficit in the omega-3 fatty acid DHA in the orbitofrontal cortex of patients with MDD [major depressive disorder]. This finding adds to a growing body of evidence implicating omega-3 fatty acid deficiency as well as the orbitofrontal cortex in the pathophysiology and potentially pathogenesis of MDD."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...pression%20dha

Related Articles
Conklin SM, Manuck SB, Yao JK, Flory JD, Hibbeln JR, Muldoon MF.
Abstract
High {omega}-6 and Low {omega}-3 Fatty Acids are Associated With Depressive Symptoms and Neuroticism.
Psychosom Med. 2007 Nov 8; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 17991818 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
2:
Related Articles
Sublette ME, Bosetti F, Demar JC, Ma K, Bell JM, Fagin-Jones S, Russ MJ, Rapoport SI.
Abstract
Plasma free polyunsaturated fatty acid levels are associated with symptom severity in acute mania.
Bipolar Disord. 2007 Nov;9(7):759-65.
PMID: 17988367 [PubMed - in process]
3:
Related Articles, Links
Freeman MP, Sinha P.
Abstract
Tolerability of omega-3 fatty acid supplements in perinatal women.
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007 Nov 2; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 17981449 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
4:
Related Articles, Links
Rogers PJ, Appleton KM, Kessler D, Peters TJ, Gunnell D, Hayward RC, Heatherley SV, Christian LM, McNaughton SA, Ness AR.
Abstract
No effect of n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (EPA and DHA) supplementation on depressed mood and cognitive function: a randomised controlled trial.
Br J Nutr. 2007 Oct 24;:1-11 [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 17956647 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
5:
Related Articles, Links
Ross BM, Seguin J, Sieswerda LE.
Free Full Text
Omega-3 fatty acids as treatments for mental illness: which disorder and which fatty acid?
Lipids Health Dis. 2007 Sep 18;6(1):21 [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 17877810 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
6:
Related Articles, Links
Lin PY, Su KP.
Abstract
A meta-analytic review of double-blind, placebo-controlled trials of antidepressant efficacy of omega-3 fatty acids.
J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Jul;68(7):1056-61.
PMID: 17685742 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
7:
Related Articles, Links
[No authors listed]
No Abstract
Omega-3 might ease depression, enhance mind & memory. There's a growing body of evidence that DHA benefits gray matter, but it's not a cure-all, say researchers.
Health News. 2007 Jun;13(6):4-5. No abstract available.
PMID: 17649598 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
8:
Related Articles, Links
Freund-Levi Y, Basun H, Cederholm T, Faxén-Irving G, Garlind A, Grut M, Vedin I, Palmblad J, Wahlund LO, Eriksdotter-Jönhagen M.
Abstract
Omega-3 supplementation in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: effects on neuropsychiatric symptoms.
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007 Jun 21; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 17582225 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
9:
Related Articles, Links
Sinclair AJ, Begg D, Mathai M, Weisinger RS.
Abstract
Omega 3 fatty acids and the brain: review of studies in depression.
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16 Suppl 1:391-7. Review.
PMID: 17392137 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
10:
Related Articles, Links
Conklin SM, Harris JI, Manuck SB, Yao JK, Hibbeln JR, Muldoon MF.
Abstract
Serum omega-3 fatty acids are associated with variation in mood, personality and behavior in hypercholesterolemic community volunteers.
Psychiatry Res. 2007 Jul 30;152(1):1-10. Epub 2007 Mar 23.
PMID: 17383013 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
11:
Related Articles, Links
Bourre JM.
Abstract
Dietary omega-3 fatty acids for women.
Biomed Pharmacother. 2007 Feb-Apr;61(2-3):105-12. Epub 2007 Jan 2. Review.
PMID: 17254747 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
12:
Related Articles, Links
Freeman MP, Hibbeln JR, Wisner KL, Davis JM, Mischoulon D, Peet M, Keck PE Jr, Marangell LB, Richardson AJ, Lake J, Stoll AL.
Abstract
Omega-3 fatty acids: evidence basis for treatment and future research in psychiatry.
J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 Dec;67(12):1954-67. Review. Erratum in: J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Feb;68(2):338.
PMID: 17194275 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
13:
Related Articles, Links
McNamara RK, Hahn CG, Jandacek R, Rider T, Tso P, Stanford KE, Richtand NM.
Abstract
Selective deficits in the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid in the postmortem orbitofrontal cortex of patients with major depressive disorder.
Biol Psychiatry. 2007 Jul 1;62(1):17-24. Epub 2006 Dec 22.
PMID: 17188654 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
14:
Related Articles, Links
Levant B, Ozias MK, Carlson SE.
Abstract
Specific brain regions of female rats are differentially depleted of docosahexaenoic acid by reproductive activity and an (n-3) fatty acid-deficient diet.
J Nutr. 2007 Jan;137(1):130-4.
PMID: 17182813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
15:
Related Articles, Links
Huang SY, Yang HT, Chiu CC, Pariante CM, Su KP.
Abstract
Omega-3 fatty acids on the forced-swimming test.
J Psychiatr Res. 2008 Jan;42(1):58-63. Epub 2006 Oct 30.
PMID: 17070845 [PubMed - in process]
16:
Related Articles, Links
Bourre JM.
Abstract
Effects of nutrients (in food) on the structure and function of the nervous system: update on dietary requirements for brain. Part 2 : macronutrients.
J Nutr Health Aging. 2006 Sep-Oct;10(5):386-99. Review.
PMID: 17066210 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
17:
Related Articles, Links
Rao JS, Ertley RN, Lee HJ, DeMar JC Jr, Arnold JT, Rapoport SI, Bazinet RP.
Abstract
n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid deprivation in rats decreases frontal cortex BDNF via a p38 MAPK-dependent mechanism.
Mol Psychiatry. 2007 Jan;12(1):36-46. Epub 2006 Sep 19.
PMID: 16983391 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
18:
Related Articles, Links
Nieminen LR, Makino KK, Mehta N, Virkkunen M, Kim HY, Hibbeln JR.
Abstract
Relationship between omega-3 fatty acids and plasma neuroactive steroids in alcoholism, depression and controls.
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006 Oct-Nov;75(4-5):309-14. Epub 2006 Sep 7.
PMID: 16959481 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
19:
Related Articles, Links
McNamara RK, Carlson SE.
Abstract
Role of omega-3 fatty acids in brain development and function: potential implications for the pathogenesis and prevention of psychopathology.
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006 Oct-Nov;75(4-5):329-49. Epub 2006 Sep 1. Review.
PMID: 16949263 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
20:
Related Articles, Links
Levant B, Ozias MK, Carlson SE.
Free Full Text
Diet (n-3) polyunsaturated fatty acid content and parity interact to alter maternal rat brain phospholipid fatty acid composition.
J Nutr. 2006 Aug;136(8):2236-42.
PMID: 16857847 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Which Came First...

Okay before the anti d/anti anxiety med came the stress! So, is the culprit the cortisol overload (naturally prodced), a hormonal imbalance (pre or post menopausal, pregnancy) or the anti d eventually taken? I go w/stress beyond the norm (we all experience a degree of pressure in Life) as being the root of all illness, striking your genetically weakest body part. There's the link again. The mindbody connection. T cell counts go down as depression sets in, compromising the immune system and leaving you virtually defenseless...
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Brenda_D

I was never on any type of anti-depressant before BC.
I am on Prozac now, because of the BC.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
R.B.

Stress undoubtedly chemically links in at lots of levels but DHA moderates the stress response production of norepinephrine etc.

So I would put lack of DHA / omega three as a risk factor.

I was unaware stress impact on T cell function I will look that up.

Thanks Andi BB

RB
Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
fauxgypsy

I have taken anti depressants in the past for about two years, maybe a little longer. Wellbutrin.

R.B., sometime back, Andi started a discussion on the mind/body connection. I don't know if you saw it. It was quite thought provoking. Below is a link to part of it.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...t=28396&page=4

I have also included some sites that offer insights into psychoneuroimmunology that i thought you might enjoy if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/immune/psychon.htm
http://www.nfnlp.com/psychoneuroimmu...n.htm#research
http://www.wellness.org.za/html/pni.html
http://www.bcaction.org/Pages/Search...etter014C.html
http://www.cousinspni.org/
http://www.aacn.org/pdfLibra.NSF/Fil...e/ci140105.pdf
http://www.appi.org/book.cfm?id=8171

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!

Last edited by fauxgypsy; 11-12-2007 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: goofed up
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
betlen5

Interesting question....I have been on several different anxiety meds for over 25 yrs to help with my Agoraphobia (Panic disorder). I have been on Paxil 30mg (Dr.changed to 40mg 3wks ago) 1x daily for 10yrs along with Xanax 4-6 mg daily. Started Effexor XR .75mg 1x daily about 3weeks ago to help deal with my BC.

I had heard that Paxil could be linked to breast cancer and asked my oncologist 5 yrs ago who research this and could not find any links.

I have not thought about this for years and perhaps it's time for me to do more research on my own.

I will let you know what I find.
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #16
R.B.

Thank you for those links FauxGypsy.

I searched and there a quite a few books on the subject.

There are not enough hours in the day to read it all.

Please do not loose sight of the fact that DHA is essential to brain function and structure -and its presence in involved in a host of consequent pathways which interlink into behaviour mood and outlook.

RB
Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Hopeful

Interesting. I was on Paxil from 1995 to 2000; started at a high dose, but gradually reduced it until I wound up on very low dose, 2 mg. per day for 4 of the 5 years. It did nothing for my depression at any level, but the very low dose was an excellent anti-anxiety drug for me, and the anxiety reduction worked indirectly to allow the depression to lift. Even after the dx of bc in 2006, I am pretty much anxiety free (as much as any of us can be)and take no meds.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #18
suzan w

I was on paxil from 1993-2001 and it was a miracle drug for me as far as depression goes. Interesting thread and I always wonder about what triggers cancer cells...
6 months before my diagnosis I went through a really high stress period of time and wonder if that had anything to do with it!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
Cannon

Correlation does not equal cause-effect

And, I'm sure I'm pointing out the obvious -- so many people take antidepressants these days that I'm not sure there's even a correlation between that and breast cancer (the rate of which has been declining [post-menopausal] or steady [pre-menopausal]).
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation More Power To You

Wow Leslie! You have given us all many gifts since you first joined this group. And THIS POST HAS BLOWN ME AWAY! Thank you, my sweet friend... Hope you'll all read Leslie's links! They are phenomenal!

Ladies, Sisters, and Gentleman, my Brothers -- YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS LISTENING TO YOUR MENTAL CHATTER AT EVERY MOMENT!

How you think determines how you will feel -- and how you will fare!!

YOU are the Master of your immune system! A good attitude, far beyond a brave face, but deep KNOWING of your abilities to attain your desired outcome, is achieved in many positive ways.

Yes, you must not deny your bitter, angry, resentful, blaming, unforgiving, remorseful, sorrowful, outraged, anxious, uncertain, fearful thoughts, and the emotions that come along with such dialogue. But YOU NEED NOT BE VICTIMIZED BY YOUR TAUNTING AND HAUNTING THOUGHTS. You have the power to experience what you are thinking and feeling traumatized over and then to exhale them from your body as you slowly breathe out!

Then, you can REBOOT and author and consciously choose the dialogue you wish to have running in your head throughout the day. This will increase your T-cell effectiveness, increasing NK (natural killer) cell activity, boosting your immune system! Meditation and laughter, love and compassion, generosity of Spirit and humble gratitude for your many blessings, plus awe over the beauty that surrounds us ALL BUFFER AGAINST DISEASE PROGRESSION AND/OR IMMUNE SYSTEM BREAKDOWN, created unwittingly by naturally negative, learned reactions to Life's ordeals and unwanted realities...

We must become aware of BODYMIND feedback, which is an ongoing conversation between your thoughts and emotions and your body and immune system. Gaining control of your thoughts and therefore your emotions and your life -- is personally EMPOWERING beyond your imagination! So, realistically face the traumas you have been burdened with and the feelings such truths imposed on you. Speak of them out loud. Share them. Write them down. And in so doing, cathartically HEAL them and yourself!!

Become aware of the interaction between mental and emotional states, your immune systems function and ultimately your health! The birth of neuroscientists and their findings are LIFE ALTERING! Chemicals in your body form a dybnamic network of connection between the mind and the body. Researchers now speak of the BODYMIND -- seeing there is not a clear distinction between the body and the mind! THIS IS A REVOLUTIONARY ADVANCEMENT IN MEDICINE AND HEALING!!

Meditation = decreased blood levels of stress hormones! Now provable! Every part of the immune system connects to the brain in some way. In sensitivity to chemicals secreted in the brain, stemming from our response to our mental/emotional processes. Moods and feelings impact our physicality...

What happens in the mind, and our emotional reaction to our perception, can have real effects on our physiology and physical response (including of course, our immune system)! This is not new, but ancient wisdom reawakened. We can view it in the twenty first century with newly available scientific investigation and fresh understanding, in psychoneurological terms!

Lingering unresolved emotions, and old, inflexible ways of coping, can become the source of chronic stress. And this can undermine immune system function. Pre-existing bilogic/genetic conditions can become aroused in such an internal environment.

States of mind affect our health, hamstringing our body's ability to resist dysfunction. I see cancer as a malfunction of cells, overproducing and overexpressing themselves ad nauseum.

Please, DO NOT LOOK AT THIS AS MAKING US A *VICTIM* OF CIRCUMSTANCE, BUT RATHER THAT WE ARE EACH THEREFORE *EMPOWERED* (once we become aware of the internal and connected processes of our being) -- TO CREATE NEW HEALTHY! WE HAVE THE POWER TO ENHANCE PATTERNS OF THINKING AND BEHAVIOR -- WITH CLEAR AND IMPASSIONED FOCUS, INTENTION AND EXPECTATION. We must see that it is essential to shift our focus from uncertainty, fear, anxiety and uncertainty -- toward living fully in the moment, embracing the day and experiencing the joy and serenity that come with the KNOWING we can manifest our most deeply desired dreams! This is how miracles are born... TO YOUR HEALTH, HAPPINESS AND HARMONY, MY SWEET SISTERS AND BROTHERS... With much love,
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote