HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Louise O'Brien

Chemo & porta-cath

I'm really worried but don't know if I should be. My first chemo treatment is Nov. 15 in the afternoon. They have booked a porta cath insertion for me the following day on Nov. 16. (Couldn't get an appointment for this any sooner). I have to check in at the hospital by 7 a.m. The procedure is at 9 a.m. This is done at a different hospital, not at the cancer clinic.

I'm really worried about doing this the morning after a chemo treatment and wonder if I'll be even be able to tolerate it. I also have no idea how long the procedure is. Should I be digging my heels in on this, perhaps delaying chemo - or am I worrying for nothing?

I have so appreciated the solid information and support I have been given to all my other questions. This web-site is a gold mine for people in our situation.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
KellyA

port and chemo

Hi Louise,

I did have my port put in prior to chemo, however looking back on it now, I would have been fine to get it in the day after. I really felt absolutely fine for at least 48 hours after chemo. It was a weird feeling- waiting for the "bomb to drop". It never really got too bad. I attribute this to taking my anti-nausea meds the night I got chemo and taking them for about 4 days with no break whether I was nausiated or not. I would take Zofran during the day, and the Zofran with a Phenergan at night (phenergan made me very sleepy). I usually would start feeling crummy towards the end of day 2 and on day 3 and then would start feeling better on 4 and 5. I really just slept it off. Usually the day after chemo I was at the pool with my kids and feeling pretty good.

Getting the port in was not a big deal at all- I opted for the "passport", which is located on the upper inside of your arm. It is basically the same procedure though. They did give me something to relax me because I was nervous, but I was very surprised how easy it was. I experienced no pain at all, and I would say that it was in quickly (20-30 minutes), once I was actually in the room. You will be very glad to have the port as it makes things so much easier.

I wish you good luck and I hope that this helped!

Love,
Kelly
KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
tousled1

I had my port put in the same day I started chemo. I had the port put in and then went directly to the oncologists office. The actual procedure only takes a few minutes. I opted for no general anesthesia and was put in a "twighlight" zone. My daughter drove me. I would talk to your oncologist or surgeon about having the port put in the day after chemo. I know you will tired from the chemo but I can't say what other side effects you may have. Good luck to you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
gumoore

I totally agree with KellyA, the first 24-48 hours are like "what's the fuss all about", but after that, hang on!

So getting the port (PICC here in BC, Canada) should be relatively easy to bear after chemo.
IBC dx August 9/06
ER/PR +2

HER2/neu +

chemo August 11/06 - January 8/07

herceptin - 17 treatments, every 3 wks - end Jan 2008

IMRT rads 5 weeks

surgery May 1/07 bilateral mastectomy (left modified radical, right simple)
prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy March 2008
letrozole, 2.5 mg daily, start June 2008
lymphedema, left arm, April 2008
osteoporosis, lower spine, August 2010 - fosamax 70 mg

gumoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
lisahammo

Hi

I'm not worried about how you will be feeling to receive the port, but more about the chemo that will coursing through your veins, and that it could leak out into the surrounding tissue. I am pretty sure here in Australia that you have to have the port put in first, or at a week AFTER chemo, not the next day. I would definitely be speaking to someone about this.

sorry, don't want to freak you out about this, but it does not sound right to me.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Bev

I would call your onc. They delayed my chemo to accomodate the port insertion, as they did not want to do AC through a vein. A 2 day chemo delay shouldn't matter. I think they said they like to start chemo 4 to 5 weeks after surgery. If your Doc doesn't want to delay chemo, she can try to get your surgery moved up. Good luck on your treatment. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
lindyjo

Louise,

I don't think you need to worry about having the port put in the day after chemo. When I finally decided to get a port I had already had 2 or 3 chemo treatments and the day I had the port put in, I had chemo an hour or so later. The idea of the port really creeped me out at first, but I am very glad I did it. Get Emla cream to apply to your port before your treatments. That way you don't feel the poke when they access the port. You just smear some on about an hour before and I covered it with Press -n- Seal wrap. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Lindyjo
lindyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Mary Anne in TX

Peace of mind is important too!
I had my port put in on a Friday and started chemo on Tuesday. Worked well for me.
Talk to your Onc. and see what he will do to work with you.
I was good the next day with Adriamycin/Taxotere and with Taxol, Carboplatin/Herceptin but with Navelbine/Herceptin the next day is headache day for me. Then all is fine.
Whatever you decide, find a way to find peace of mind about it for you.
I had people pray like crazy for me for one treatment (after a really scary reaction to Taxol) and it worked like magic. I was at peace and everything went fine. Thank the lord for prayer warriors!
Best wishes for a smooth journey.
MA

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
Louise O'Brien

Thanks for your comments...

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and have no options.
They can't move the porto-cath insertion up - and they don't want to delay chemo. The two procedures are done in two different locations. The porto-cath is done at one hospital; the chemo at a regional cancer centre. The oncologist has no influence over that hospital's schedule - it's a different administration.

So the best they can do is to delay the porto-cath for one week which means I'll be having my first chemo through a vein - and the porto-cath insertion will take place eight days later. I hope I'll be ok.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Sandy H

Iwould not worry about it. This all sounds o.k. to me. I had chemo before surgery and a while after surgery before I had a port. When I did have a port I had it in the morning and went right to oncology and got chemo. I was told they like to do it that way to make sure the port is working. I went to the O.R. and was asleep when mine was done in the upper chest. I had a choice to be awake or asleep and I chose asleep. It is a minor procedure. Wishing you well. Let us know how you make out. Most of the time we are our own worst enemy for worrying but that is our nature. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
Bev

Louise, if your onc is OK with it and it appears others have done it, you will be just fine. I did run into a study that the conclusion was you could delay chemo for up to 12 weeks after surgery and still have an equivalent rate of disease free survival.

I was really resisting the port so perhaps that's why they brought up the caustic argument.

If your veins are hard to access I would say chemo should wait. If not, it's up to you. You could look at it as getting a jump start on things.

I still see no reason though why they can't delay the chemo for a day or two after the port insert. I woke up chatty during the insert, so they gave me more drugs and it took longer for me to wake up after the anesthesia.

I wasn't sick from chemo. Just groggy and not well. Either way, you'll be fine. It's a personal choice. I'm sure you're on pins and needles. Search for what you wan't done, in your mind, then ask for it. I think if you tell your onc you wan't to delay 1 week, they'll say fine.

No right or wrong answer, just what makes you feel comfortable. Good luck. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:04 AM   #12
Mary Anne in TX

I'm praying and believing that you will not only be ok but great! I have very hard veins to find also, but when I went to the hospital to get the port, I told them and they sent "the best" vein finder and it went just great!

God has a way of joining us in the hard times!
Best wishes,
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
kim

If you are worried about it why don't you check and see if you can start chemo after.
I started chemo the day after I had my port placed. I was even told I could start the same day and they would have left me accessed from the hospital.
I am glad I had a port to start chemo, but I have really terrible veins. Also, for me the chemo hit me the day I started, I am not sure I would have wanted to try and do surgery the next day.

Good luck!
Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
SusanV

Louise,

I had my first chemo in the vein, and the port placement was done the following week. Like you it was just a scheduling problem for them to do it any other way. I really agree with what some of the others have said. I just had my 4th A/C yesterday, and here I am at work today really feeling fine. By Friday and Saturday I start to feel a little yucky, but recover by laying around over the weekend. For me like some of the others the pre-meds and the antinausa meds that I take for 3 days after the chemo keep me feeling pretty descent. I really think you will be fine to get the port done the next day. My port procedure took about an hour, and I was awake for the entire procedure...no pain though during the procedure or after it was over..just took a little getting used to, but now I don't the port a second thought until it's time to use it. Also remember, if for some reason you are not up to it the next day, call and reschedule. I assume you may be getting your chemo every three weeks??? That would give you a window of time to reschedule before you needed your next chemo..Just a thought !

GOOD LUCK TO YOU..You are going to do just fine !
ER/PR + (Highly Positive)
Her 2 +++
1.3 & 1.2 tumors right breast
node negative
lumpectomy 8-15-06
A/C Began 9-5-06 Finished A/C 11/6/06
Port Placement 9-15-06
Negative Test for BRAC1 & BRAC2 10-25-06
Began Tamoxofin November 21, 2006
First Herceptin November 27, 2006 Continues every 3 Weeks
First Radiation Treatment December 11, 2006
35 Rads Completed
Final Herceptin Treatment November 12, 2007
Port Removal November 19, 2007
Living Life to the Fullest !!
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
ekoen

You can't predict how chemo will affect you. Depends on which chemo drugs, how much, your own body chemistry. I had port put in a week after first chemo. It was ok.

I had a VERY strong reaction to first chemo within 4 hours, despite all anti nausea meds, an operation the day after would have really demoralized me.

I like the advice to call your onc and try to delay the first chemo until a few days after the port placement OR delay the port placement a few days.

-Esti
ekoen is offline   Reply With Quote