HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Lauriesh

Bad News

Well, my worst fear came true. The large mass on my liver is cancer. The pathology is the same as my original tumor. er/pr - and her2+.

I begin chemo on Wed morning- herceptin weekly and taxotere every three weeks.

I will be having a pet scan and brain mri in the coming weeks. My onc wanted the pet right away, but I don't think I could take any more bad news right now.

I need to get a port, and the surgical office asked me what kind. I didn't realize there were different kinds. I had one that was in my clavicle area, but had it removed almost 4 years ago.

Any advice would be appreciated. Best type of port? Side effects of taxotere? I could care less if I lose my hair again, but my goal is to keep things as normal as possible for my kids.

thanks for everyone's support.

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
TriciaK

Re: Bad News

Laurie, I am so sorry to hear your bad news. I've just received similar news and start chemo Wednesday for my 4th BC (second her2), so my heart is really tender toward you and what you are feeling. I know you know that fear and faith cannot exist at the same time and I pray you will feel faith in knowing you are loved and so many of us understand completely and are praying for you. You will hear from many who have had the liver mass cancer and have overcome. They can give you hope, tell you how they have overcome this and help you in so many ways. That is what happens here. I am sending my love and prayers, and I know you will receive more from others here. God bless you and give you the strength to overcome this and be stronger than ever! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Darlene Denise

Laurie: Boo Hoo on the liver news. I hate that for you! I've been wrestling with liver mets from the get-go 12-07. I did very well on inital tx of Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin. I have not had Taxotere.

I would encourage you to request a low profile dual lumen Power Port. It will allow for your contrast on all of you scans to be accessed there insead of your veins. I had a regular port from 12-07 to 12/09 and all of the lab tests and the scans trashed my veins beyond use, so, I had to switch to a Power Port. You will be having numerous scans with the liver involved, so, I hope you can arrange some type of Power Port. I think there are a few different manufactures and they all call them something different. Bard is the manufacturer of my port and you can look at the ports on line.

Stay strong and let us know how things go along.

Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Emelie B

Laurie,
I had taxotere on my first visit to cancer and it was doable. I had to have neupogin (sp) shots for white blood count, but it was very doable. I did not have the neuropathy that I have experienced with taxol.
Be sad, cry and pick yourself up and dust yourself off, and know that my husband and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary on Sat. Never thought I would be here to see it, but, here is my message--- I am here!!!!
Give yourself time to take all this in and be kind to yourself.
Best regards,
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
mmoons

Laurie,

My heart is so heavy to hear your news. I hate this disease!!!!! Please feel all the prayers and love coming your way from all of us.

I am sorry I don't have any port advice.

Please keep us updated on how you are and I am keeping you close in my prayers.

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
chrisy

Poo.

I have not had taxotere, but I do have some advice. All the taxotere people in my infusion center put bags of frozen peas on their fingers and toes during the taxotere infusion, as the nurses believed it helped to minimize damage to the nail beds. Turns out, I saw a study at San Antonio BC symposium that validated that. They didn't use peas in the study, it was some kind of boring cold pack...

At the infusion center they even had a little freezer where they let people store their peas. Or Corn or whatever. The best thing I saw was one gal had her fiance come with her and when it was time to take off the frozen peas, he massaged her hands and feet.

I know it sounds goofy, and I'm certainly not making light of the situation - it is just the only actual experience I have with taxotere.

The other, more important thing I want to say to you Laurie is that you must not lose heart. I do know firsthand how shocking it is to get such a diagnosis. I felt cheated, and although I promised to try to make it 3 years I didn't really believe it would happen. That was nearly 6 years ago.

Get the other tests done, you need to know what all that you're dealing with and don't assume it will be more bad news - its quite possible there are NO other problem areas. Do your research, as I know you are, and learn what your options are - what to do now, and what might be an option later.

My thoughts and prayers are with you...
chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
lexigirl

Dear Laurie,

I am sorry that you have had a recurrence. Saying prayers that the tx will kill every last cancer cell in your body and that you will be NED soon. Saying a prayer for your family, too.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
CarolynME

Laurie,

I am very sorry that you have had a recurrence. I am praying the Herceptin and Taxotere will work for you and bring you to NED. I have the Bard Power Port, and I am really pleased with it. I have had no problems and don't even notice that it is there. I am on Taxotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin, and the only side effects I have from the Taxotere is hair loss and nausea (I am not sure if the the nausea is from the Taxotere, Carboplatin or both), and my doctor has given me a combination of medicines to combat the nausea which have worked well.

I really hope the medicine works for you.

Love,

Carolyn
4/10 Pet Scan showed another node .07mm positive on the internal mammary area
4/10 ALLTO Trial - randomized for Arm 4 - Taxotere/Carboplatin and Herceptin only (no Tykerb) Began 6 cycles Taxotere/Carboplatin (every three weeks) and Herceptin weekly for eighteen weeks and then every three weeks until the end of April 2011
Radiation to begin 9/2010
CarolynME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Ellie F

Hi Laurie
I am so sorry to hear this news.
Just wanted to add that the advice about keeping hands and feet cool with ice is sound. Also try to suck crushed ice for about 15 mins before the infusion and during it's administration. This really helped reduced the sore mouth issues for me.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
Trish

So sorry to hear your news and sorry I have no experience with ports. I have lost my hair three times and so far the kids have coped remarkably well. Of course I don't relish losing it yet gain but it is a distinct possibility. May you and the kids find the resilience you need,
Trish
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
Mary Jo

Hi Laurie,

I am sorry to read of your recurrence. If I remember correctly, you just reached your 5 year milestone??? Is that correct?

I, too, just reached 5 years (had 1st mastectomy tomorrow 7/28/05) - so hearing this is hard to hear for me. I can only IMAGINE how hard it is for you.

It is something I often think on (less often as time goes on) and wonder how I would respond. I guess you don't know till it happens.

I do know that, or should say, I've learned that....."control" is something none of us have and going with the flow is what we must do. Try and I say that lightly - but please TRY to rest in the Arms of the One who knows your tomorrow. He will see you through this. Do what you have to do to be well......you will get through this.....and life will be joyful once again.

Love and prayers...

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
jhandley

dear laurie
I had a relapse to liver after a herceptin holiday..but am back in remission after tx with abraxane and herceptin. hang in there girl ! Thinking of you......
Jackie (down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
caya

Dear Laurie,

So sorry to hear of this liver recurrence for you - especially after 5 years...

I did 3 rounds of Taxotere - my nails were okay, I did not use cold paks. Extreme fatigue, nausea (controlled by meds) were my main s/es. I already had lost my hair to the 3 rounds of FEC.

Hoping that you get going ASAP and the Taxotere (one of the nastiest, but most effective, chemo, according to my onc.) zaps that cancer very quickly.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
PinkGirl

I'm so sorry Laurie ... try to breathe and keep the faith. Others have
beat this, so you can too.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
tricia keegan

Oh Laurie I'm so sorry and was watching out for your update but obviously hoping for good news for you. I also just passed the five year mark so can understand how this news must be awful for you.

From what I've read, the power port from Bard seems to be the best as you can use it for nuclear scans too (assuming someone there can access it!!!)

I had taxol rather than taxotere but both are similar I think, my hair grew back on it but I lost my nails and eye brows and over all it was very tolerable. I had no nausea and needed no meds or neulasta even, hope this drug shows a good response for you and the side effects are minimal. I think the main one to look out for is neuropathy, but they can give you something for that if it happens.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you well, good luck and keep us posted x
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
jml

Oh Laurie~
I'm so sorry to hear the news.
I know how anxious you must be to just get started with treatment and ready knock this disease back again.
I had great success with Taxol/Herceptin, knocking back the "innumerable, immeasureable" mets in my liver and getting me to NED.
I wish the same for you.
Hang in there, get through these next set of tests, the port placement and know that you are doing everything you can do to beat back this disease.
Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
Jackie07

Lauri,

Don't you love Chrisy's picture and her message? She's been there, done that... and I know you will, too.

Sending good vibes your way.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #18
Patb

My thoughts are with you and your team to guide
you to the best treatment there is. Please let us
know how you are doing and know we are behind
you and here for you. Take care
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #19
Laurel

Laurie,

I am so sorry you are facing treatment again after all this time has passed. It just stinks! Please know that there are so many amazing stories of surviving with cancer, in spite of cancer, that you can draw from right here in our group as you well know. I am praying for wonderful response to the treatment.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
Lori R

Dear Laurie,
I was so sorry to hear about the biopsy results. Your post just transported me back 2+ years. All I could think about was my daughter and being there for her.

Here I am almost 3 years later, with more and more treatments available with each passing month.

Fear of the unknown is the worst part...So a little taxotere info.

It was VERY manageable. You will probably take decadron (a steroid) on Wednesday, chemo on Thursday and a follow up round of decadron on Friday.

My sisters came to to sit by me fully anticipating that I would be in bed. We ended up going to lunch and shopping on Friday. At 3 p.m. on Saturday (could set your watch), the decadron started to wear off and I became kind of weepy. Sunday was emotionally challenging, so I kept busy and made sure that I wasn't alone. On Monday morning, I would wake up my old self and ready to go to work.

You will be able to attend all of your children's events and be an engaged active mom.

But...take your friends and family up on the offers to make dinner and help clean the house.

Side effects for me were; lost hair (boo hoo), sensitivity to spicy food, sensitive finger nails, slight fatigue (mainly due to the emotional aspects).

I am thinking so much of you and would love to make the process easier for you. If you have any questions about how to deal with taxotere, just post them.

You can do it!!!!!
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote