HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
cherylynnie

Thumbs down End of treatment or so I thought

On Tuesday I had my last herceptin treatment. My husband surprised me and walked into the treatment room bearing gifts. The balloon on the bag he was carrying said "way to go". I was surprised to see him, I had just been talking smack about him, and there he was.

But the celebration was bitter sweet because I had an excisional biopsy planned for Thursday morning. I found a lump about three weeks ago very near where the original tumor was. I had a mastectomy with reconstruction originally. I havent really been too concerned about that side but there it was. The surgeon was optimistic and didn't think it was anything but I wanted to have the excisional biopsy as opposed to a core needle biopsy.

Well the results came in on Friday and it is cancer, the whole report wasn't back yet but I will find out more next week.

I just don't understand --- I went through all my treatment, a year of herceptin, tamoxifn and now more cancer. How come the herceptin and tamoxifin didn't get this? This probably sounds like a stupid question, and I probably know the answer but I just have to have it explained to me so it will sink down into my brain.

Thanks!
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Lani

unfortunately

Herceptin doesn't work for everybody (and some tumors may perhaps become "resistant" to it--that is a pattern seen in metastatic disease anyway)

Similarly tamoxifen doesn't work for everyone, and, when given without herceptin, rarely works for her2+s.

They believe the two are synergistic, but that is based on experiments in petri dishes or in transplanted cell lines placed into mice.

Now is the time to be forward-looking.

Is the new tumor of the same variety as the old tumor ie, is it a recurrence or a new cancer.

From your description, it sounds like, having had a mastectomy you didn't have radiation therapy.

You didn't describe what chemo you had.

In some ways having a tumor large enough to get neoadjuvant therapy is an advantage--psychologically at least. It allows treatments to be evaluated as they are ongoing, rather than finding out at the end of treatments (or thereafter) that it didn't have the desired effect.

The good news is that if this is a recurrence there is now a new canon in the armory--tykerb. If your recurrence is still ER+ there are still AIs (if you are postmenopausal or can be made that way with injections or removal of ovaries) or faslodex (which Dr. Slamon has said at meeting is in his opinion the best antihormonal for her2 positives). Herceptin does not work if the tumor lacked PTEN--Tykerb works even if it did.

If this is a recurrence, you are definitely a candidate for tykerb. You might want to look into what clinical trials you qualify for or just get opinions as to what combination might be best now that your oncologist is free to prescribe it off label ie, in all cases where it is not combined with capecitabine. If it is a recurrence, there are ongoing trials for quite a few new antiher family monoclonal antibodies and tyrosine kinase inhibitors as well as anti-heatshock protein, mTOR inhibitors, etc. as well as the vast majority of vaccine trials.

If this isn't a recurrence but a new cancer, you might want to see if you can take advantage of all the testing of the tumor that is possible to characterize it and determine how best to keep "both your tumors" from coming back.

No matter what, sounds like you will need some second opinions.

The timing was terrible--but would you rather have discovered it later, when it had a greater chance to spread ?

Best of luck!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Becky

Don't despair. A few rads may be all you need. If the cancer is the same (and it probably is the a recurrence of the same one), it may have primarily come back in the scar tissue. This is the common way for a local recurrence. Scar tissue has very little, if any, circulation. Therefore, chemo, herceptin and tamoxifen have very little effect on scar tissue. If there was a cell left behind there, the cancer could (and did) come back.

One thing Lani mentioned, which is right on, is that Tamoxifen without Herceptin does not work well with Her2's. Especially those like you (and me) who are only ER+ but PR-. You should ask your onc for Lupron or Zoladex shots so you can take Arimidex or Femara instead (unless he decides to keep you on Herceptin a bit longer). The Herceptin and chemo probably did work in your body - but really nothing but rads works on the scar if something is left behind.

You will just have to work alittle harder for about 8 weeks or so and then the hubby will have to get you an even bigger and better celebration gift!!!

This will all work out fine - it will just take alittle bit more. Try to smile. We are all here rooting for you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
cherylynnie

Lani and Becky,
Thanks!

Lani,
My first tumor was 2.3 cm, 1cm, and .6cm. One appeared on the mammo, the second on the MRi and third they found when they removed my breast. I had an immediate tram flap reconstruction. So I am thinking that from the core needle biopsy some cells got loose or from the small amount of breast tissue that was left with the skin saving mastectomy. This new tumor was not deep at all but very close to the surface of the skin. I am hoping that there is nothing else, but I am sure they will send me for all kinds of tests now. I will get more results on this new tumor next week. The pathologist was comparing it to the original cancer. So hopefully we will get all the info we can on it.

Becky,
I am hoping you are right and that the seven weeks of radiation will do. Since my nodes were negative I didn't have any radiation. When my husband walked in with the balloon and gift bag attached I asked if there were diamonds in the bag. There was an angel in the bag and chocolates. Maybe I will get diamonds later. HAHAHA

Lani,
I am going to print this out so I can understand better what you have told me. I really appreciate it.

You two take care!

Cheryl
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Erin

Wow, I am so sorry for your news. I know that no matter how positive everyone is regarding a local recurrance like this, the news must still have been so hard to take. I am already looking forward to the "end" of treatment... which won't come until 2/13/08! I know that symbolic date must have meant alot to you too. Best of luck with your next treatment decisions. Hang in there :-)
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
cherylynnie

Erin.

Thanks! You are right I was so looking forward to ending treatment. I got my port out about three weeks ago before my last treatment, because my left arm was slightly swollen and reddish purple. And my neck hurt on that side. I had two doppler studies since the first of Feb. and there was no sign of a blood clot. So I got the port out and I was so happy. It has only helped the swelling and redness alittle. I have to go to a rehabilitation doctor to see if it has something to do with my shoulder, which has been popping for a while now. Sorry I got side tracked. But yes, it should have been a time to celebrate. My port was gone and I was having my last herceptin treatment. It wasn't even that bad having the treatment without the use of a port. I still don't like getting stuck but am used to it I guess.

I hope Becky is right and rads are all I need but I think he will want to maybe keep me on herceptin or maybe add tykerb. We will see.

Thanks again!
Cheryl
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
atdec05

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry to hear about your recurrence. I have a similar story - lesion found near mastectomy scar while finishing my last month of herceptin. Before my final pathology report, my onc. recommended radiation only. But by the time I had my wide excision I had another spot that was punch biopsied. Pathology reported it as recurrent IDC carcinoma in dermal lymphatic. That meant it was in the skin, yet could have travelled in the lymph system. My second opinion has recommended TCH then radiation...basically going thru chemo all over. I'm er/pr, so chemo is my only option.

I agree a 2nd opinion would be good. Let us know how it goes.

- Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
cherylynnie

Wink

Anna,

So sorry to hear it. I am sure like me you just wanted to get to the end of treatment. Are you almost done with the chemo regiment? Did you go to a new oncologist? How was the radiation?

Before my excision biopsy the surgeon asked me if I needed any pain meds and I said no, but as she was walking out I told her she could get me some ativan. And she came back and said 1mg, I said no 2mg so I can cut them in half. And she did. So at least I am able to sleep through the night. And I am either sleeping through my night sweats, which last for 30 minutes a piece or I am not having them due to the ativan.

Good luck to you I hope treatment will be over for you soon. And thank you for responding.
Cheryl
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
MJo

I'm sorry about your recurrence. I trust it can be reduced to ashes by radiation. I hope your hubby buys you a diamond or diamonds for the end of radiation.

I understand how at the end of treatment you were looking for a psychological break -- a transition into being a survivor. Because my CAT scan found a tiny speck in my lungs, I have to have CATs every three months for the next two years. It's not the freedom I was hoping for. I also appreciate the benefits of anti anxiety meds. I still use Xanax occasionally, expecially when I need a good night's sleep.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
atdec05

Hi Cheryl,

I haven't started treatment for my recurrence. Just had my wide excision on 3/15, got a 2nd opinion on 3/22, will see my oncologist this Wed., and get a 3rd opinion on 4/2. It will be a relief when I can finally decide what to do and start. I hope your further treatment is confined to radiation.

I think I need to do chemo as well, especially since I didn't do Taxol as part of my initial chemo.

take care,
Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Lani

cherylynnie

your post that you were going to print out my comments caused me to review what I had written and I had put gemcitabine (gemzar) instead of capecitabine (xeloda)--good luck on your second opinion!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Jean

Wink

Dear Cherly....

I am sorry to hear that your last day of herceptin was darkened.
But I think as Becky wrote that all will turn around and you will
be back with your face towards the sun! Don't dispair - please
let us know how all goes - thinking of you and sending you
lots and lots of positive energy!
PS I will finish hercetpin in two more treatments also!

Best of luck,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
Jean

Smile For atdec05

Hi Anna,
Ditto for you also...wishing you all the best - please let us know
how you are doing...

God Bless You,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #14
cherylynnie

Annna,

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you had already started a new series of treatments. I guess our timing is about the same. I am going to ask my oncologist about a specific breast cancer oncologist,which may be best for me. Yesterday I figured his ears must have been burning because I was surfing the net for new doctors when his office called and said that he wanted to see me today(Tues) at 3:30. He better have all the reports back since I had to move my schedule around and find someone to take my son to the orthodontist. My daughter has soccer practice at 6:00 the first one of the season and I will have to find someone to come and pick her up for that as well because we may not be back in time to take her.

MJO and Jean,

Thank you so much for your well wishes and good luck to the end of your treatment Jean.

Lani,

I corrected it from gemzar to xeloda. So do you mean not to mix tykerb with Xeloda?

Thank you all so much!

Cheryl
Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
Sheila

Cheryl

A recurrence is always a disappointment...I have had my share, but each time I know that although I want to be done with treatments, I need to put my gloves on and begin the fight again...I plan to be the one who comes out on top over this disease....I hope that radiation can take care of it....if not, Xeloda is a good start and easy to take, and can be given with Tykerb for better results.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
atdec05

Hi Cheryl,

That's great that you are able to see a breast cancer oncologist so quickly. My 2nd opinion dr. called me today after the tumor board meeting to confirm his recommendation of TCH + radiation. I am seeing my regular oncologist tomorrow, and a 3rd opinion next Monday. It's crazy that there's only one set of pathology slides and they all want them! So I'll be picking them up from one place and delivering to another place today, then need to get them to the 3rd place in time for the Monday consultation.

My 2nd opinion said he would characterize my recurrence as regional (to the chest wall). Because it's dermal lymphatic, he recommended systemic treatment in addition to radiation. He said it was skin mets, but still considered it curable, hence his aggressive treatment recommendation.

Let us know how it goes with your oncologist. Is this a 2nd opinion? I've heard Xeloda & Tykerb or Xeloda & Herceptin are good combinations. Even if Herceptin by itself doesn't work, it can work with another drug.

take care, Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #17
Vanessa

Sorry to hear about your reoccurance. I hope you are able to see the end of treatment again soon.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #18
cherylynnie

Here is what the pathology report said -

Skin and subcutaneous tissue showing local recurrent ductal carcinoma, Grade III.

No breast tissue is identified. The lesion is recurrent in subcutaneous tissue and fat with features similar to those present in previous diagnostic material.

Hypercellular spread wih atypia.

The oncologist recommended all kinds of tests but believes it was left behind in the tissues folds during my mastectomy/tram flap reconstruction.

Though he wants to see results from all the tests, he believes that a wide excision and radiation should do it. He said in my case, only 2% of patients reocur. So my answer was of course, why can't I win the lottery then?

So I have to call and get all these test scheduled so I can have the surgery and then get on with it.

Cheryl
Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
atdec05

Hi Cheryl,

Sounds like you've got a treatment plan in place and can get on with it. My wide excision surgery was easier than the lumpectomy and masectomy. Hopefully yours will be as well.

What kinds of tests does your oncologist want to do?

take care, Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #20
Lani

Congratulations!

I assume the tests pending are the ER,PR and her2.

Good luck on the reexcision and radiation therapy.

PS--I was only quoting the only FDA APPROVED use of tykerb at the moment--
given with xeloda for pts who have failed chemo with or followed by herceptin. I mis-typed gemcitabine instead of capecitabine.

Good to keep in your armory--but hopefully never to be needed!