HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
LOPSIDED

Mammogram / Mri Mammogram

SEPT. WILL BE ONE YEAR SINCE I WAS DIAGNOSED AND STARTED TREATMENT. MY RADIOLOGIST WANTS TO SEND ME FOR AN MRI MAMMOGRAM. I HAD A CHECK-UP WITH MY SURGEON THE OTHER DAY AND HE RECOMMENDED GOING FOR THE REGULAR MAMMOGRAM. HE SAID MY INSURANCE MIGHT NOT PAY FOR THE MRI MAMMOGRAM IF I DIDN'T DO THE REGULAR MAMMOGRAM FIRST, I HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF AN MRI MAMMOGRAM. I WONDER IF EVERYTHING CHECKS OUT OKAY WITH THE REGULAR MAMMOGRAM SHOULD I EVEN DO THE MRI MAMMOGRAM. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THE MRI MAMMOGRAM.
12/2007--ENLARGING LYMPH NODES IN ABDOMEN--IXEMPRA, THEN TYKERB
08/2008--COLON TUMOR--A/C AGAIN,
12/2008--ABDOMEN TUMOR--AVASTIN/NAVELBINE FEMARA
05/2009--MET TO SPINE (L2) RADS
CURRENT TREATMENT
07/2009- START ZOMETA MONTHLY, XELODA & ABRAXANE......SURVIVING THE BEST I CAN
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Peggy

Mri

Sheila,

I had a mammogram and ultrasound followed by MRI of my remaining breast. They didn't call it MRI mammogram, but I think it was probably the same. The findings were "probably benign" ...rather get "normal", but I'll redo the process in 6 months. My doctors felt like we needed both because they each have some plusses and minuses. If I were you, I'd ask for both if there are any concerns or suspicious areas.

Good luck.

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
sadie

My oncologist told me when I am due for my mammogram in Sept, she will do a regular mamm on the good breast and an mri on the previously diagnosed breast.
She said an mri would show up anything too small for an ultrasound or regular mammogram.
Sentinel node neg
Her2+++
ER+ / PR weakly+
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
Bev

I'll be alternating every 6 mos between mammo and MRI. I haven't checked out the insurance implications yet. I would think most plans would have to pay for it. 'We're not doing this on a whim. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
mts

If you have dense breast tissue the breast MRI will see the smaller lesions that the mammo doesn't. Sometimes it picks-up larger ones too. Mammos will pick-up microcalcifications which are not picked-up by the MRI.

Also, the MRI will pick-up the scar tissue which often mimics lesions. It is so important that your breast MRI is read by a very competent breast radiologist.

My surgeon also did not encourage me to seek an MRI. He assumed my insurance would not pay. I hate when the doc's assume these things without considering what is best for the patient. Interestingly, the little voice in my head told me to get one. Thank goodness I did. The breast MR found 2 tumors (1.8 cm and .4mm) that neither the mammo or the ultrasound found. The surgeons mouth dropped when I presented the films to him. All this after I had a lumpectomy with clean margins!!! Needless to say, I had another lumpectomy.

Your best bet is to get at least the breast MRI along with the mammo. This way you are covered.

The mammogram has been a wonderful tool for several decades -its technology is old yet easy to read and cheap.

The MRI would at least provide a better tissue diagnostic -more expensive, but worth the peace of mind. It saved my life.

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
cherylynnie

Wink breast MRI

The first thing my surgeon did was send me for breast MRI's. My self and the mammogram found my first tumor. The breast MRI found the second one. And when I had a right mastectomy there was a third tumor they found in the breast tissue. MRI and mammography are not 100%. I was very glad I chose to have a mastectomy. After I finished chemo I went for my mammogram and the radiologist told me that everything looked fine but she suggusted I get an MRI. The oncologist did not write me an order for one. When I went for my gyno apt the next month I asked her about it. So she wrote me an order. That night I found a lump on my unaffected breast (left). I scheduled an apt with my breast surgeon and scheduled an MRI. The MRI didn't show anything. She biopsied the area and the pathology came back benign. Now I am going ahead with my symmentry surgery at the end of this month.

There is always something to worry about it seems. I am hoping for a better year than the last. God Bless everyone.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
mts

Yikes Cherylynnie!!!

They found a 3rd tumor in the breast tissue that the MRI did not see?!!! How big was it? Once it was found in the tissue, did they cross check the MRI to see if it looked at all like possible cancer lesion?
OK now you have me concerned... I have had quite a bit of faith in the breast MR because for me, it found what the mammo and u.s. could not.

More reason to be most vigilant with this sneaky disease.

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
KathyH

MRI helped me

Hi Sheila,

I was diagnosed with a palpable lymph node on the right. There was no palpable primary. So they did mammogram and ultrasound to find the primary but they were normal. Then they did an MRI which did not pick up the primary on the right side but did pick up a primary that was a second type of cancer on the left. I'm glad I had the MRI.

Love, Kathy
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
cherylynnie

Maria,

I have looked at my MRI since I have copies but am not sure they did. I do know there was a conference between the surgeon, plastic surgeon and oncologist the next day after surgery on this subject. I had a tram flap reconstruction and was on drugs for about 3 weeks afterwards. I did speak to the surgeon about this on a follow up apt. and they may have looked at this but I am not certain. But when I just saw her two weeks ago. She did an in office biopsy on the lump because she knew and the fact that I reminded her that I had a third lump that didn't show up on MRI last year. I got results in 2 weeks what took almost two months last year. It was very ironic that I found a lump in my left breast the day I got an order to get an MRI done??? Anyway hope I answered your questions. Didn't mean to scare you. I just know that we do not have 100% detection.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
sadie

Now I'm worried. When I was first dx'd, I asked for an MRI and pet scans. My onc told me since my bc was caught so early, that an MRI or pet scans would not show anything because it would be too small for it to show up.
I had another mammogram before radiation. That was all clear. When I am due for my annual mamm in Sept, the onc told me she would order an mri on the affected breast since my breast was dense and sometimes an mri would pick up things that a mamm won't with dense breasts. Well, then why did she not do an mri at the beginning?!
Now I'm scared.
My onc has told me a few times that she does not expect any recurrence and she expects me to make a complete recovery and live a long life. Would she just be saying that to ease my mind? I never act like I'm paranoid about it or anything when I see her. (although, I was a basket case for a couple of hours when I had my 1st consult with her). Legally, she HAS to be honest with me, right?
Sentinel node neg
Her2+++
ER+ / PR weakly+

Last edited by sadie; 08-22-2006 at 07:38 PM..
Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
SusanV

Mri

My experience with the MRI, was my obgyn wrote the script for both a mamo and ultrasound....My breasts are dense, and the biopsy doctor used the word "vague" to describe the tumors that could be seen with ultrasound.( They were unable to be seen on the mamo by the way) The surgeon requested an MRI to specifically take a closer look at an area of interest in the non effected breast the day before my lumpectomy was to take place.

As I see it, the MRI is just one additional tool that may show areas of concern that should be used with the Mamo & ultrasound in all of us who are now at High Risk. Whatever tecnology is available should be used.

Susan V
DX 8-3-06
Lumpectomy 8-15-06
Er + Pr + Her 2 + grade 3 STAGE 1 No nodes
Meeting with Onc 8-28-06
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
sadie

My annual mammogram (at dx) showed microcalcifications. My regular dr got those results and told me the news. She said she did not want to waste time with ultrasound or mri. She wanted me to see surgeon asap.
Surgeon nor onc ordered any further tests or scans.
I was given aggressive therapy "just in case one cell got away".
I will let you all know what my mammorgram/mri shows in Oct.
Susan V.....Our dx is same. Let us know what the Onc says. Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do great!
Sentinel node neg
Her2+++
ER+ / PR weakly+
Old 08-25-2006, 04:40 AM   #13
sarah

wel the ideal is to get a mammogram and a sonogram and then if possible an MRI. My onc here does say that sometimes MRIs give false positives - I had a questionable spot seen on the MRI but not on the others but it didn't grow so everyone's ok with it. However my cancer is always small but wide spread so mammos don't pick it up. I'd try and get all 3 if you can. Personally I trust MRIs more but.......
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #14
SusanV

Sadie,

what types of therapy did you receive? How old are you, or were you at DX in 2005. I would like to hear more about your story since ours seem similar. Also did you receive a bone scan, CT or PET scan. I would like to request them when I meet with the Onc on Monday. If you wish you can e-mail me directly at veitchers@aol.com

Susan V
in PA
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote