HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
fourboysmom

Hip pain and Herceptin??

Hi everyone,
I restarted Herceptin again after A/C ended. Got the loading dose for the every 3 week regime. My hips ache so! I even requested a bone scan and hip xray, both of which were normal. Thank God. Could this be a side effect from Herceptin? Anyone out there share similiar experiences?
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good fight! Love, Janet in CT
Old 12-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Susan

I'm on my second dose of herceptin, and i've had hip, knee and foot pain every time after...........also lots of headaches.....drippy nose too....I feel like an old lady!
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Ginagce

I've experienced a lot of pain since starting Herceptin in June. Hips, knees, ankles, feet, wrists etc. As a matter of fact, I'm in more pain now than I was on taxol which is supposed to be the bone pain drug.

My oncologist says it's not the herceptin, it's the arimidex but I started taking the arimidex in February and had no bone pain at all. It wasn't until after I started the Herceptin in June that the pain started.

I think this is probably a side effect of herceptin that is not experienced by most recipients therefore has gone undocumented. The more we tell our oncologists and the pharma company that manufactures the drug, the more the medical community will be willing to consider it so.

In the meantime, I do find that light exercise helps as does Alleve.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get it under control as the herceptin is a wonderful drug for us her2 gals.

Bless you on your journey.

Gina
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Ginagce

Cool

Oh yeah, I forgot about the runny nose. I'm probably the largest purchaser of Puffs in the area!

Gina
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
Joan

Thumbs up Herceptin

Hi Janet,

I started Herceptin in November, will have my 3rd dose on the 28th. My friend started at the same time, she was also taking Tamoxofin.
I am experiencing no side effects on the Herceptin alone, apart from cold chills, during treatment and some chills following, which have since subsided.
My friend experienced bone pain in her legs and back after her first dose of Herceptin and she thought her symptoms were because of the Tamoxofin (she started both drugs at the same time) - so she switched to Arimidex. After her 2nd dose of Herceptin she is still experiencing flu like symptoms and aching bones.
On Herceptin alone, I am happy to say that I have no symptoms.
I hope your symptoms subside soon Janet.
Best wishes for your health and a very merry Christmas (yes and to all a good fight).
Joan
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Lolly

As a long time Herceptin user I have had the achey joints, especially hips, since starting. It did ease up after the first year, but whenever the weather changes flares up again. Bone scans are negative for mets, but indicate arthritis. My personal theory is that the immune system is activated by the Herceptin antibodies, which causes the aches and pains we normally associate with flu or cold symptoms. But one should always bring these symptoms to the attention of their doctor, as they need to track all of this and order appropriate scans if necessary.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Unregistered

I started herceptin in June and have certainly noticed more generlized ahcyness but particularly in my hands, deifinitely my hips, elbows and to a lesser degree my knees. I am not on Tamoxifen or AI's . I was blaming it all on the post- chemo sydrome esp. Taxol, but I've been almost a year and a half out of standard chemo.
HMMMMM-- very interesting.
I recently joined a gym , go to aerobics, walk, swim, use the nautilus to keep things loose and toned but some days I just want to sit in the hot tub !!
Carol
Old 12-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
Unregistered

I started herceptin in June and have certainly noticed more generlized ahcyness but particularly in my hands, deifinitely my hips, elbows and to a lesser degree my knees. I am not on Tamoxifen or AI's . I was blaming it all on the post- chemo sydrome esp. Taxol, but I've been almost a year and a half out of standard chemo.
HMMMMM-- very interesting.
I recently joined a gym , go to aerobics, walk, swim, use the nautilus to keep things loose and toned but some days I just want to sit in the hot tub !!
Carol
Happy Holidays Everyone
Old 12-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
BubblesMom

How comforting to know it wasn't just me!!! After initial herceptin treatment (loading dose) I felt like an old woman after getting up from a chair. My hips were sooo stiff...after several steps I could completely straighten up and the stiffness would disappear. I have found that since I began taking a spin class a couple of times a week, that problem is a thing of the past. Continue to experience LOUD cracking of all my joints....especially shoulders and knees. How in the world is that connected to these treatments??
IDC Node+(2) ER/PR- Her2+++
Stage II / Grade III
4AC / 4Taxol (dose dense)
33Rad (Finished 9/7/05 YEA!!)
1 yr Herceptin (Finished 9/06)
Found lump...same breast (4/09)
BubblesMom is offline   Reply With Quote