HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
APRILSHER2

Question does anyone know prognosis if herceptin is stopped early

i was suppose to take 52 herceptin treatments but was stopped for about 2 months due to decreased heart function. wa started on heart meds and started treatments again but was stopped again about a month ago and heart scan came up in less than a month this time but my doc wont let me resume treatments too much risk on my heart. so i received 28 treatments had 24 left. my doc said with no herceptin at all the chances of no recurrance is about 30% with 52 herceptin treatments the chance of no recurrance is 80%. so where does that leave me. should i be worried. does anyone know the stats on this?
APRILSHER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
blondie45

Re: does anyone know prognosis if herceptin is stopped early

I would like to know also. I was supposed to get herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year but today was told they had to stop it due to heart problems. They may get to start again and they may not depends on what my heart does now that I am not on the herceptin.
blondie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
bubbles

Hello Ladies.. I received Herceptin for only 21 weeks (every three weeks) and that was two years ago and I am fine. My doc decided that the study from Finland (?) that was adequate for my condition. I had significant side effects with all chemo, including Herceptin.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
jml

Hi~
Just wanted to throw out my 2cents -for what it's worth.
I can only speak for myself, as a sage, old, salty 7+yr Stage IV'er, but I believe others will concur...Many of us don't/can't rely too heavily on predictions/prognoses as the data to support those predictions are typically out of date - based on old data, meds, etc.

Adjuvant Herceptin treatment for Early stage BC is still a very new treatment option, so I cant imagine there's significant long-term data to support efficacy. Actually, I'm a little surprised that your doc was so specific with recurrence percentages/potential.

So much of maneuvering through this disease is a matter or relying on empirical data. And we can only do the best we can with what we know, the care & treatment available to us, and ofcourse HOPE & FAITH that new drugs & treatments will continue to be developed and available to us enroute to a CURE for all of us.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope this is helpful somehow.

Keep the Faith~

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote