HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Lani

for those with brain mets or leptomeningeal mets

a new review paper from Dana Farber's Nancy Lin rehashes what has been tried and what is new and upcoming.

On L-M mets it states:

From an investigational standpoint, given that HER2 amplification appears to be retained in patients with HER2-positive primary tumours and leptomeningeal involvement, intrathecal trastuzumab is the subject of two ongoing prospective trials in France and in the United States (www.clinicaltrials.gov; NCT01373710, NCT01325207) [86]. A number of case reports have been published in the medical literature, although on close review, in many cases, patients received multiple concurrent therapies, making isolation of the true effect of intrathecal trastuzumab a challenge [87–89]. At present, off-label use of intrathecal trastuzumab is not recommended, given that the commercial drug supply is not formulated for intrathecal use [90]. Newer anti-HER2 agents, such as pertuzumab or TDM1, which have demonstrated activity against extracranial metastases, could also be of interest in patients with leptomeningeal disease when given intrathecally. However, these would need to be studied carefully for both safety and efficacy and, as of now, would not be recommended for off-label use in this setting [91–93].

Since she has just reviewed how little effect one can expect with other treatments of leptomeningeal mets these pious "is not recommended" and "would not be recommended"
may not go a long way with patients/their caregivers and oncologist really just trying to help them. Wouldn't it be better just not to publish those in a review than put in black and white words which preclude any but the most brave oncologists from offering the drugs,especially as those patients often don't feel well enough to travel for the trials and the number of patients with LM mets at any one or two or three institutions is such that trials may take decades?

Just bringing up for discussion what is the role for informed consent and off-label use outside clinical trials in conditions that are relatively rare and imminently lethal with no other good treatment options.

I usually do not get "political" but sometimes I wish these words would not get used. It keeps insurance for paying for things they might otherwise be obliged to under state or federal law (off label use), frightens oncologist who might otherwise just be willing to try treatments on the basis of previously reported good results, hinders progress in finding solutions for these hard to treat mets and erases hope from those who need it as another door is shut in their face. I can of course, see the other point of view--first do not harm, not wanting to get sued for practicing less than the standard of care, etc--

Can any of you devise a better way to solve this dilemma?
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Mtngrl

Re: for those with brain mets or leptomeningeal mets

I agree, Lani. Those words should not be used

I think the dilemma is created by a "cya" situation. "Standard of care" is a safe harbor to avoid malpractice liability. I am in favor of keeping good, careful physicians out of trouble, so I'm not criticizing them for wanting to stay in their safe harbors. But as you said, with the lack of better alternatives and imminent death if nothing is done, I would think one could devise a close-to-bulletproof informed consent. The patient was dying. He/she knew that and chose to try this. The patient died. No harm done.

I practiced law before heading off to seminary in 2008. My practice was mostly transactional, but I drafted some waivers and releases in my time. It should work.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
dchips1

Crazy ness, with limited options out there, and most surgical options, for me not an option. Or being told will just see what happens when the next "SPOT" shows up. It took over a year to get my It Herceptin started, since basically failing radiation to my thoracic spinal canal on the nerve tumours. When 1 of the 2 cofounding Doctors of the large group practice, says yes and took 3-4 months trying to make it work and see if we could do in a sterile procedure room at the hospital across the street from the office. Of course they said no eventually, so they decided we are doing it at the Office. they have given other drugs IT before including methotrexate, just not the Herceptin. Ironwood Cancer and Research Centers here in Arizona is who takes care of me. I did not have to sign anything, have had other DR's, offer support and train staff in the procedure. Frying your brain with WBR, and the side effects from that "regular" procedure has had more side effects and COST to treat them, then being part of an off label patient to add to all the other published random IT Herceptin tx off label. Hey my insurance company is paying for a vial a week to use no preservative, and they get a huge break from the drug company. So me getting IT Herceptin versus being paralyzed and having to have all that goes along with that, versus a treatment center, and a world renown Neurosurgeon practice, who is willing to participate. they should play nice with their 2 cents of advise!!! This is America and freedom of what we subject ourselves to to save our lives is our choice. to me is almost like being part of a "clinical trial" it is either going to work or not, there may be some side effects, but what happens in an official trial as well? FLIP of the Coin, Phase 1 could really mess you up. Or like herceptin original trials, save the Lives and change this beast into a Chronic chase rather than the Death sentence I was originally given in Jan of 2006. I have worked through most of the cancer years, and am still able to contribute to society, by volunteering, advocating for others and raising my children with my husband. Sorry this probably is totally a rant now, off topic. As I have told a few insurance people, other health care providers for myself and others. Do Not Make Me Come Down There And Stand on Your DESK!! Get it done, or get me your supervisor!!
As always LANI thank you for your dedication to help us with posting the latest.

Peace and prayers to all of those who have walked the path before me and their families. Yet gave their battle history to us whom followed, to be able to get "out of the box treatment" to save and extend the time and quality of life for me and those whom are affected the the big "C" word and the future impact of this disease.

Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
dchips1

And by the the way it is the Dr and Medical staffs own personal decision whether to participate or in the "off label" drug procedure.
Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
NEDenise

Darita!
Such fire! You go girl!
Well said!

Amy and Lani...
I couldn't agree more.
Denise
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote