HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
yanyan

Question Surgery after 4 Chemos?

Hi,everyone. I am new to the group. I was dx in Jan 2011 with positive nodes. ER/PR -, Her2 +. My oncologist started me on chemo on Feb 22 ( neo adjuvant ). I have finished 4 cycles of Taxotere/Carboplatin with weekly herceptin. My onco said ususally they do surgery after 2 or 3 chemos but since we were waiting for my BRCA gene test result, it kinda of got delayed till after the 4th chemo. He said i can do surgery now and finish up the rest 2 chemos or i can wait till the end of chemo. I am very confused as he said it does not matter whichever way. I have decided to go with a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction- Latissimus flap with implants. My concern is: Since i will be off chemo 4 weeks prior and maybe 4 weeks after, i am scared cancer will grow? If my wound does not heal, it will be delayed even more; on the other hand, i am comfortable with the remaining 2 chemos killing residue cells that were not taken out by surgery but since i have already had 4, i think those 4 chemos should have done much of the job already; Also since i will have reconstruction at the time of mastetomy, if i do it now, it will give me plenty of time to get fully expanded prior to radiation. I am confused. Sometimes i wish our doctors can just tell us yes or no. Thanks !!
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Surgery after 4 Chemos?

Hi Yanyan,

If you look at the treatment history of many of the 'newly diagnosed' members, you will find quite a few of them have had neoadjuvent chemotherapy. And the chemo combination and schedule seem to be changing every couple of months.

I remember seeing members having 4 AC + surgery + 6 TCH + H,
You did not mention the size of your original tumor. But if the doctor thinks TC/weekly H has been effective shrinking the tumor, it could be the reason why he's comfortable for you to have the surgery in either schedule.

We have quite a few members who have had immediate reconstruction after surgery. Type in 'reconstruction' in the Search box and see if you can get some good information in those threads.

Meanwhile, perhaps more members will chime in and share their view on this dilemma.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-06-2011 at 12:41 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
trasia

Re: Surgery after 4 Chemos?

hi yanyan,
I also would like to ask for the size of your tumour and what stage your cancer is..

read this too..
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab005002.html

Preoperative chemotherapy for women with operable breast cancer

Chemotherapy for patients with early stage breast cancer has been shown to improve survival. Traditionally, this therapy is given once the patient has undergone surgery. Since the early 1980's, interest has risen in administrating chemotherapy before surgery (known as preoperative or neoadjuvant chemotherapy) based on good results achieved in patients with locally advanced disease (cancer which is larger than 5cm and/or has spread to surrounding tissue or lymph nodes, or both). The rationale for preoperative chemotherapy is that an early introduction of systemic treatment (treatment that affects the whole body) will result in a decrease in the size of the tumour, hence making it possible to do more breast-conserving surgery. For this review, we investigated the effect of the difference in timing of chemotherapy treatment for patients with early stage or operable disease.
This review identified 14 randomised controlled trials involving 5,500 women addressing this question. The analyses revealed no difference in overall survival and disease-free survival for women who received either preoperative or postoperative chemotherapy. Preoperative treatment makes more breast-conserving surgery possible because of shrinkage of the tumour before surgical intervention (relative risk, 0.82; 95% confidence interval, 0.76 to 0.89). However, this also results in a increase of loco-regional recurrence (recurrence in the same area) rate (hazard ratio, 1.12; 95% confidence interval, 0.92 to 1.37). Preoperative chemotherapy provides the possibility of monitoring tumour response and making appropriate regimen changes once the tumour appears to be resistant to the primary therapy. Adverse effects, which were reported in only half of the studies, were fewer in women receiving preoperative chemotherapy. Although, postoperative complications, nausea and vomiting, and alopecia were equally distributed, events of cardiotoxicity were less likely (relative risk, 0.74; 95% confidence interval, 0.53 to 1.04) in women receiving preoperative chemotherapy. Also, serious infection (analysed in 2799 women) was less likely to occur in women receiving preoperative chemotherapy (relative risk, 0.69; 95% confidence interval, 0.56 to 0.84).
I learned to hold myself with dignity, respect and humility. My mother taught me to love and care for humanity, and a compassion that I have never seen matched. She is brilliant, and more generous than any person I have ever met. I know my mother loves me more than life itself. Her latest lesson is Courage as WE seek treatment for her condition and she enter the great unknown, and faces her inner demons…And I promised her that I will be her strength when she needs it, and her patience when she cannot bear it anymore..

~trasia (primary caregiver of her 60 year old mother- IDC Stage 2B ER+ 90% PR- Her2+++ 3/25 lymph node involvement (Diagnosed Jan 2010- BMX- Feb 2010)
trasia is offline   Reply With Quote