HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
michka

Post Need address to correct reconstruction

Hi ladies
4 months ago I went for my left breast reconstruction by "SGAP". It turned into a nightmare because of an undetected hemorrhage. This group gave me so much support that it made me feel better.
The first result was horrible. The reconstructed breast was enormous much too high on my chest and hanging on the side. And everything was tense. The surgeon said it was normal and he would fix all of that. He made me wait 4 months. I was scared stiff to go back but I did the day before yesterday. Well, the result is the same. It is horrible and I still cannot dress and even less wear a bra. I feel like Frankenstein.
I would like to get an opinion from a US hospital. Preferably on the east coast because I live in France.
Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking either of BWH in Boston or Sloan or Johns Hopkins in NY. Any thoughts?
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Becky

I have lots of recommendations of top plastic surgeons in the New York/Philadelphia area.

Those that have a / between the names are partners with each other but both excellent.

Dr. Liza Wu/Dr. Joseph Serletti - University of Pennsylvania (Philly)

Dr. Robert Allen/Dr. Joshua Levine - New York University (NYC)

Dr. Mark Smith - Beth Israel - NYC

Dr. Salzberg/Dr Askari - offices in NY and NJ (I will get phone numbers for you as these guys are the most highly recommended plastic surgeons for breast reconstruction in the NYC area (and maybe anywhere)).

Let me know Michka. I know there is a Dr who can make you look great.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
swimangel72

Michka - I'm so sorry you're having this problem! I just want to say that from my research last year, Dr. Ashikari's office was not experienced in flap reconstructions........although they are experts at the one-step Alloderm. Still they might be able to fix the flap problems you had, but I'd be wary since I don't believe they are microsurgeons. Since you're travelling so far anyway, check out Dr. Dellacroise and Sullivans at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans Louisiana. Although they didn't do my Stage 2 repairs, they are very experienced with all flap reconstructions and many of their patients come to them with second or third stage repairs because their stage 1 got totally botched. Here's their web site:

http://www.breastcenter.com/welcome/

You m ight also wish to check out my new plastic surgeon (who's also a sculptor) He repaired a botched free-tram Stage 1 for me and I'm very happy! He works in an excellent hospital on Long Island, New York near the airports. Here's his web site: click on "About Us" then scroll to the bottom and click on "Our Medical Board":

http://www.breastreconstruction.org/

Good luck!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile The difficulty in being you...

Hi Michka,

I had tram flap recon in '98. What the hey is SGAP???

I had it done at the same time, on the same table, w/my mastec.

My recon breast was Dolly Partonesque. I am a 36 D, but wow! Doc (perfectionist, brilliant, specializes in this procedure -- on Long Island, 30 min from Manhattan) asked if I was pleased.

Too big, too high (like a 16 yr old's breast). He said they make it overly large b/c if it is too small then you have to go back into the hospital for another surgery, but if it is too large it is a simple liposuction (???sp) procedure in the office.

After chemo + a few mnths to heal, he lipo. I returned a wk later and he lipo'd again. It is perfected shaped but still too high. I guess they guestimate when you are laying down how to match the other one, which does not take into consideration the degree of sagging incurred due to one's age.

But in a bra now I am even. Without a bra, lopsided. Yet, happy to have 2 breasts. Nurses (from varying doc offices in NY and Fla) who see me in exam rooms always comment about what a great job my doc did. Really????? I ask. Oh yes, you should what some women look like that come in here. So, I am grateful.

I do know some women who had saline implants w/expanders, which I was not a candidate for. They all seem unhappy w/the end result. They go back for adjustments. Their nipples are pointing in different directions.

May be the nature of the situation.

I wish I could have had implants, yet...

My plastic surgeon insisted on creating a nipple for me. It did not really take. Whatever. I just wanted to be able to wear clothing and look normal, balanced. I did not want to wear a prosthetic, which I hear, and have noted, slip about and peek out, exposing a bit of a cavity where the breast should be.

With tram flap they take skin from your belly which my doc warned me would be lighter in color. I said fine. Well, I look kind of like a patchwork quilt, but again, glad for what some call my *foob* (fake boob). Makes me smile.

What befuddled me the most was that when I went for my first mammog after my TRAM flap surgery, I was told I was to have a UNILATERAL, vs bilateral. You see, I think of my foob as a breast. Whereas medical people know there is no breast tissue in my foob and it is therefore not in need of mammog.

I said to my husband, so does that mean if GOD FORBID ONE GAZILLION X I had cancer there, I would have stomach ca????? LOL...

As for the cut from hip to hip (the supposed equivalent of a tummy tuck) -- mine is quite jagged. Not that I would be caught in a bikini, but alas this scar cinches that as a major NO.

Please let us know how you are. Please don't think you look like Frankenstein. You are YOU, and you are beautiful. I did go through the I am disfigured phase, but have spent much time learning to love myself as I am. My beloved husband says I look perfect. (He is older and his vision is not great, but I love him to pieces!) Wishing you success in your mission to have a pair of matching breasts. Seems like such a simple desire, doesn't it?

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
michka

Thank you for these first addresses! I'll start working on them.
Andy, the "SGAP flap (superior gluteal artery perforator) is a tissue flap procedure that uses fat and skin from your upper buttock to create a new breast mound".
I loved your descriptions! You made me laugh with the "nipples pointing in different directions". I do not expect something perfect but just to be able to dress and feel comfortable.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
harrie

Michka, I had a DIEP flap and would highly recommend my surgeon. He is in Southern California, close to Los Angeles. If you are interested, please email or PM me. Would be happy to give you more info.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Unregistered

Dr. Robert Allen/Dr. Joshua Levine - New York University (NYC): I don't know them, but I have read a lot about them. They are among the most experienced doctors for flap reconstruction in the country. I think they (or possibly their colleagues) invented the DIEP procedure. You can find more information about them and their contact information at www.diepflap.com. I think that their group only does breast reconstruction and specializes in flap reconstruction, so they have a lot of experience.

Good luck!

Jill
Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
alicem

I highly recommend my female plastic surgeon, Dr. Aldona Spiegel in Houston, Texas. Her website is

www.breastrestoration.org

She has great before and after pictures there.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote