HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Lisa

WBR cause memory issues?

Friends,

I'd just like to hear from those of you who've had WBR. I had mine 2 years ago and I now feel like an Alzheimer's patient. It is SO frustrating, not just for me, but for my husband, too. I can't remember basic words, I forget movies we've seen or conversations I've had. And let's not talk about my terrible typing.

Prior to chemo and WBR, I'd had a 20 year career in public relations and fundraising. I did lots of training (which I loved) and lots of public speaking. Now, I'd be afraid to even attempt these things. Afraid I'd lose what I was saying or even what I was talking about.

Please let me know if you've had WBR and what your side effects were, if any. I want to know if I'm alone in this boat.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile I have never had WBR

OR brain mets...

but I can say that I have experienced and still do, loss of a simple word right in the middle of a conversation. Sometimes I have a little difficulty remembering if I actually did what I was thinking of, and a bit of confusion, example if I see someone that I know, my mind might becomes a bit confused on the name (and I know their name).

And I have been doing this for some time now and have attributed to the chemo's I have taken. I function fine at work and that is where I have the most pressure so I can't explain this. It's once in a while and I can relate about being hesitant to speak out in a group, etc. since I never know when I will be in the middle of a sentence and all of a sudden, stop to think about and can't find the word I was about to say. I always thought I was a terrific speller, but sometimes I can't even remember what the most simple word begins with. It will come to me, but I have to really think about it.

It is scarry, but I really think its all about the chemo's and treatments we have been on. I try to keep my mind active by doing a word puzzle daily (which I have always loved) and reading, anything to challenge the mind.

Hopefully this will resolve for you, or it will be just "another" obstacle that we have to learn to live with.

Take care Lisa
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
pattyz

Lisa,

I've had these same concerns with all you've mentioned. No WBR but as you know, many focalized rads to brain.

I think it is so hard to know just what the cause/s have been... The loss of estrogen can really do a number alone.

The only positive I've found is: I can re-read and enjoy a book from the past... or see that same movie and get a 'new' thrill.

I beg people's forgivenesss and forebearing upfront now, but it is more than frustrating.

anyway,
I do understand,
hugs,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
al from Canada

Lisa,

I agree with all of the above. There is a supplement called DMAE, which may help resolve some of these issues. It can be found at some health food stores but seems to be a little bit obsure. From personal experience, it does work.
Good luck,
Al
Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Sandy H

I have never had WBR or brain mets but I am with Irene. Can't remember anything! Mine is from chemo brain. Mine mind goes blank in the middle of a conversation and I get confused over what I have said and want to say. Have trouble typing and spelling, thank goodness for grammar and spell check, as I do a monthly newsletter for our church and need to do it correctly. Some times my husband will want information immediately and have to tell him I need time to think about it. I get confused on days of the week and what days I did what. I have to start with yesterday and back up with each day. To make matters worse my husband is as bad or worse then I am and he has never had chemo!!!!! I think his is from medications for depression. At least this way he understand me and so it is not a problem for us to deal with. Many times we laugh it off. We both are only 59 years old can't imagine being 70 or 80 years old. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote