HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
jml

These SE's are no JOKE!

Hi All~

It's been a week since my 1st Pertuzumab+
Herceptin+Taxotere infusion & I'm having a rough time.
I've been so concerned bout the Pertuzumab SE's that I forgot that Taxotere comes with it's own bag of tricks

Initially it was just GI issues - the big D and constant abdominal pain, but now I also have a new rash on different spots of my torso, spontaneous nose bleeds,
itchy/sore eyebrows & eyelids, itchy scalp and now, mouth sores. My poor mouth feels like I've eaten 5 bags of salt & vinegar potato chips & my tongue is too big for my mouth. And I'm more fatigued in spite of my Hgb & Hct are almost normal.

I guess I had gotten bit spoiled on my 5 week reprieve from chemo during the holidays & my chest radiation, so I forgot what it feels like to always feel a little like poo.
I even got an adjusted dose of taxotere because my plateletts are low - I can't imagine how I would feel on whole dose of Taxotere.
Since this regimen is only q3weeks, I'm hoping these SE's will get better these next two weeks and even abate with each successive cycle. I want to be on this combo as long as I can & I don't want to give up on this combo because the SE's are so rough. I don't know how I did it before, so many times before.

Oh, I forgot to update how the chest radiation for SVCS went. By evidence of my symptoms, it seems to have been very effective. The swelling into my face & neck is all but completely resolved, my ears/head doesn't feel stuffed up, but most importantly, I can bend over or crouch down without feeling like my head's going to explode. I can see my collarbones again and the veiny blue veins in my chest have disappeared. And I can sleep flat again!
I finished on January 10, and will follow up with the Rad Onc at that time. I'm not schedule for a CT scan, but my NP said I can request one if I choose.

So the journey continues and so far 2013 is starting off better than last year.
This time last year I was switching to my 14th line of treatment, before Pertuzumab was approved and nothing left in my medicine cabinet. And WBR for 8 lesions in my brain.
This year my brain remains NED from successful WBR, the last combo I was on worked for about a year, which is pretty darn good stretch after 10.5yrs exposure to so so many chemos, my most recent chest rads did their job
and I'm on a new breakthrough drug that will help me kick is Stage IV Monster down again.

Always Keeping the Faith~

Jessica

Dx-5/17/02 - 33 yo; Stage IV - L IDC w/single liver met
1) Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
2) ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
3) Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
4) Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks Rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
5) 05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
6) 10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
7) 2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single brain lesion x 4mm & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
8) 6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
9) 8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
10) 3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
11) 7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study;
Disease progression - 2 small lesions in colon – docs have never seen this before in BC
11) 8/11 –Start new combo Halaven+Herceptin
10/14/11 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin...
10/18/11 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
Good interval response, continue on H+H!

10/25/11 – new 2mm questionable spot in brain? Due to Novalis or new disease?
Re-scan in 8 weeks.
1/3/12- Disease progression; 50%increase size & SUV-R lung, middle lobe 6cm lesion.
R supraclav node multiple, miscellaneous nodes in belly. Colon lesions fired up.
12)Herceptin+ metronomic Cytoxan + Methotrexate.
…on a hope & a prayer. Only chemo I haven’t been on is Taxotere.
Hurry up Pertuzumab & TDM1!
Follow Up Brain Scan on 1/18/12…pleasepleaseplease be okay. I can’t take much more.
1/18/2012- 8 new spots in 8 weeks since last Brain MRI
one 2cm spot in brain stem, one 2cm spot in R temporal lobe.
No symptoms, THANK GOD!
1/25/12 – Start WBR x 15 rounds
2/10/12 – Oral Cytoxan WORKING! Melted supraclav node & undetectable by US!
2/14/12 – FINISH 15 rounds WBR
6/12/12- Continuing on oral Methotrexate BID & Cytoxan qpm, but on chemo break
for 3rd week due to low counts.
6/15/12 – Yay! Resume chemoJ
6/25/12 – Chemo break again due to low counts L
6/28/12 – PET Scan & Brain MRI this week…
NED IS BACK!!! NED in the HEAD, NED in the BODY!
10/26/12 – Still NED in the HEAD, but single troublesome node in chest, precariously close
to superior vena cava/heart. Not a perfect scan, but pretty darn good.
Maintain current treatment and Echocardiogram on 11/1 to keep an eye on node.11/1/12 –echo shows normal cardiac function J & node non-threating,
but experiencing symptoms of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome (obstruction/compression)

12/3 - hold cytoxan & methotrexate bc counts too low.
12/13-moved up PET scan due to increased SVC symptoms
12/14 –No more NEDL node progression causing increased SVC symptoms
12/17 – repeat echo & new chest mri for closer look…

Radiation to chest node recommended, change of systemic treatment pending
12/20-1/10 -15 rounds of rads to chest for SVCS
1/8/13- Brain still NED!
1/17 - Started Pertuzumab, Taxotere, Herceptin - these SE's are pretty tough!
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: These SE's are no JOKE!

Jessica
Don't know what to say other than you are one brave warrior! I really admire your strength and tenacity and sincerely hope though difficult this combo will really work well for you.
Hugs
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
KsGal

Im so sorry you are having all these side effects. Ugh. As many treatments as you have gone through, I probably don't have any helpful suggestions you haven't already heard or tried, but... When I was on Taxotere I used a product called Ulcerease for those awful mouth sores. It helps as far as numbing everything and making you able to eat. Certainly doesn't help with the way everything tastes. It's about eight dollars a bottle, and its a mouth rinse. I also had a rash and took just basic Benadryl and that helped some. The first few days were the worst, as with most. Big hugs to you and lots of prayers that these side effects lessen and you are able to feel more like yourself.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
StephN

Ulcerease! I was trying to think of that name just as I read Ksgal's post. It was a lifesaver for me. Helped me to sleep when the mouth sores were bad.

Taxotere gave me a flushed face, but not really a rash - that must be from the P?

SO glad to hear that you are breathing better and the fluid backup has dissipated. Now you know not to wait if anything like that happens again. Or maybe it is your onc who should know.

Hoping this next week will be one with fewer side effects so you can have a few good days.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
jellybean

Jessica,

I am glad the radiation went well.

On the chemo front, some people find weekly Taxol more tolerable than Taxotere. I know I didn't find Taxol too bad. Could you switch? Of course, this means weekly infusions. I did three weeks on, one week off for TCH.

Good luck!

JB
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
chrisy

Jessica, I was knocked down by the taxotere too! Amazing how even a short break makes us forget. I also got it q3w and did find all the s/e got better. I had loaded up on the "magic mouthwash" at the first hint of mouth sores and ended up not using it. Hopefully you can get a handle on that because that was horrible. My NP over drugged me, and I ended up with dueling big D and big C.

I didn't have rash, but I think and hope that for you it is a good sign that the pertuzumab is working.

Glad to hear the other issues which were so scary around the holidays seem to be resolving! And especially good to hear you are beginning 2013 with optimism, you deserve that and I hope it is a harbinger of the year to come.

You are the best, my friend. ALWAYS KEEPING FAITH!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
linn65

Miracle Mouth wash is what my doctor prescribed me! As soon as I felt the tip of my tongue sore I started using it and I see why it got its name! It works quick! The only thing bad is you gargle with it and then you have to swallow it and it tastes awful. But a couple days of that And mouth sores were gone!
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
chrisy

The numb tongue bugged me, but it was better than painful-you-can't-eat mouth.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Bunty

Hi Jessica, really hope it gets easier for you..... and as you always say, 'always keeping the faith'!!
Best wishes
Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Pamelamary

Hi Jessica,
You are an amazing woman, to have been through so much and still fighting! Glad to hear about the positive results of the chest rads, and can sympathise with the problems of Taxotere - but it did the job for me, and you should benefit from the Pertuzamab as well. Best of luck with the new regime... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
tammymarie1971

Oh Jessica, I really needed to hear your post today!!! I find today a bit of a downer.. and your good news just helps me think that maybe just maybe I can keep going too! I am happy for you and just love your spirit and spunk!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Laurel

Jessica, you totally rock, woman! You kick that cancer-s#*+ back to hell where it belongs! Glad to hear you rads worked and you are hanging tight.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
'lizbeth

Well Poo! Sorry to hear about the rotten side effects. But I am happy to hear that you seem to be kicking cancer's butt.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote