HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
VDC

Re: HER2 and Immunotherapy Studies for reference

Andrea,
I think the studies vary in what is allowed. I applied to a "presurgery" immunotherapy trial. It is intended for those who have not had any treatment at all....yet. Other studies allow some treatments and some are intended to be given after all traditional treatment has been used.
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 PM   #22
agness

A good list of cancer immunotherapy drugs based on clinical trials (no date observed)
https://www.dolcera.com/wiki/index.p...&format=single

Description of immunotherapy options, good background:

http://www.cancer.net/navigating-can...-immunotherapy
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #23
agness

"The immunotherapeutic AE37 is designed to work indirectly by stimulating the patient's immune system to recognize and kill cancer cells. An advantage of AE37 is that it potently activates a subclass of immune cells, known at CD4+ T cells, to recognize the tumor-specific HER2 protein. This subclass of T cell has been shown to be critical in generating a robust, long-lasting and effective immune response. AE37 consists of a fragment of the tumor-associated HER2 protein modified by a proprietary platform technology developed by Antigen Express scientists."

Generex Provides Update on Antigen Express Phase II AE37 Breast Cancer Vaccine Trial
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300036824.html

I read about it in this discussion thread here whereAntigen Express, NeuVax and AE37 are mentioned. I really don't understand what the delay is in getting these drugs to market.

http://seekingalpha.com/author/rich-steffens/comments

As it is current vaccines on the CDC schedule aren't 100% effective so who decided to set such a high bar for breast cancer immunotherapy? It seems like market dictates are behind some of this.

Last edited by agness; 02-16-2016 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Editing
Old 02-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #24
Dakini52

Seems that the trials they are doing with vaccines for HER2 are limited to those who are +1 or +2 but not if you're +3. That seems odd and makes me think they don't have a great deal of confidence in the vaccines; either that or I just don't understand which is always possible. :-)
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #25
agness

Some of the immunotherapies are targeting hormonally positive BC patients at risk for having their cancer mutate to HER2+. I read somewhere, and this isn't exclusively true, that having a low PR positivity increases the risk of the cell line shifting to ER+/HER2+.

I think we need to understand the difference between the different types of immunotherapies too. They target different cancerous mutations or alter immune system behavior. Some work better with no known disease burden, some low disease burden and some seem to work even for late stage disease. They are still learning so much and so many immunotherapy drugs are still in lengthy trials which seems tons less based upon how well they work but more based upon popularity of the concept within the medical community and business market sadly. We need greater access.
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #26
agness

"
Results from a phase 1b "basket" (multidisease cohort) trial of pembrolizumab (Keytruda, Merck) for patients with advanced solid tumors expressing the programmed death 1 ligand (PD-L1) show that among 25 patients with estrogen receptor-positive (ER+), HER2-negative advanced breast cancer the overall response rate (ORR) was 12%, consisting entirely of three partial responses. An additional four patients (16%) had stable disease.
However, five (60%) patients had progressive disease, and three (22%) have not been assessed.
The investigators are not, however, discouraged.
"Based on these data, we believe that further investigation of immune therapies in HER-positive, ER-negative breast cancers, particularly using combination therapies that can expand the T-cell compartment, are warranted," said Hope Rugo, MD, director of the breast oncology clinical trials program at the University of California San Francisco."

Pembrolizumab Not So Hot (Yet) for Breast Cancer

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/855888
Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #27
agness

This one is a little older so it is a little dated. What I liked about it is the explanation of active versus passive immunotherapy strategies and also understanding why melanoma is being pursued as a first target with anti PD-1 therapies now such as Opdivo and Keytruda.

Someone on Inspire.com is in a trial right now using passive t-cell immunotherapy, though using her own tumor infiltrating lymphocytes greatly expanded in number outside of her body and they re-administered after they flattened her immune system as they do with leukemia patients. It is working though, she was really sick before and tumors are shrinking and starting to go away. The study is being done in Bethesda.

Adoptive T cell therapy for cancer in the clinic

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1878537/
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #28
agness

bump -- I should update it
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.

Tags
immuno-oncology, immunotherapy, vaccine