HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Barbara H.

What can we do about the delay of TDM-1

Hi Everyone,
I spoke to my oncologist and obviously he is not in a position to get this decision reversed. He is quite upset with the decision because metastatic HER2 patients who have been waiting for the drug are going to die. In fact, there were a number of patients who were scheduled to receive it next week through the expanded access program that will be denied that opportunity.

The reason for the denial is ludicrous. Why would a HER2 cancer patient choose to take awful chemo treatments when more effective target therapies are available? Although the members of the FDA have medical backgrounds, they are not necessarily oncologists, and presumably do not understand the ramifications of the decision they made considering the track record of TDM-1. Obviously, they do not realize the number of patients who will die as a result of their decision.

As many of you know, I was on a phase 1 trial of TDM-1 for two years and it was a miracle drug for me. This drug did not stop working, but I developed lung inflammation. That does still not mean I couldn't try it again in the future.

I am not writing on behalf of myself. It pains me to know that many of you are being denied access to this treatment.

Apparently this decision can be reversed if many of us write and voice our opinions and experiences. The FDA needs to understand why this drug needs to be approved ASAP. They need to know about the number of patients who will lose their lives if they do not reverse this decision. They need to understand their responsibility for these patients.

Unfortunately, I do not have experience being an advocate and do not even know how to get this message out so that the essential people read it. For example, President Obama's 60, 000 letters he receives each day are screened by readers that decide which ten letters he will read on that day. I am also not sure to whom we should send our letters. My oncologist will hopefully let me know if the advocates at the Dana Farber have any ideas.

Please post any suggestions or ideas you may have about this critical situation. Remember, we may be able to make an impact if many of us write.

Thanks for reading and thinking about this issue.

Kind regards,
Barbara Holz
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: What can we do about the delay of TDM-1

Well, Health Care Reform has been a hot topic. I'm sure our e-mails to the White House will get some kind of attention. President Obama's Mother died of a gynecological cancer and their experience with her insurance company was a traumatic one.

Let's get on with it!

www.WhiteHouse.gov

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Nancy L

I do not believe Obama cares in the least about this decision. This is the start of what Obamacare is all about.

I get disgusted every time I hear him say how hard it was for him to watch his mother argue with insurance companies. I say, Where was he? He was a grown man with a law degree and the one who should have been arguing and then maybe he would understand our plight. I took care of these issues for my mother and my sister when they were ill. This is what family does when they truly care. I think he is a phony.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: What can we do about the delay of TDM-1

Maybe finding out who the "movers and shakers" at the FDA are and writing to them is a good idea. I think every president has a staff that decides which pieces of mail he sees and what he doesn't.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Chelee

Barbara,
I would love to do something about this T-DM1 nightmare. Sign me up...lets do whatever it takes to be heard. Waiting till 2012 is unacceptable! There are so many women that were depending on this drug...myself included. We need to find a way to get the ball rolling--so lets all put our heads together and be as pro-active as possible.

Nancy...AMEN to everything you said...I couldn't of said it better myself! I'm not sure who we need to direct our letters too...but I do not believe for one minute it's the White House. Now Elaine might be on to something? The FDA might be one good place to start. Lets figure this out and get going on it...T-DM1 has already proven to be a life saver so we need to make sure it's available to all that need it asap. Any other ideas on who we write too please jump in here. (Thanks Barbara for bringing this issue back up to the top.)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.

Last edited by Chelee; 09-05-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
Pam P

In honor of Joe's memory and work, please let's not let this discussion get into political views for or against Obama etc. Let's just focus on the best ways to help accomplish our goal of getting tdm1 to people who need it. I'm going to send an email to the white house link right now and I'll also send letters to others if any of you come up with names/ addresses within the FDA or other influentials. I don't have the advocacy or research expertise but I can write letters.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
schoonder

If Roche files for T-DM1 approval by mid-2012 using Emilia's trial results, then earliest approval for this drug would be onset of 2013.

How about Congressional FDA Oversight Committee for those letters?

FDA refused to look at "any" of T-DM1's trial results because Roche failed to include "all possible" mbc therapies in this trial.
Since T-DM1 a "targeted" therapy has shown to be an effective treatment against HER2+ cancers, extending this trial, looking for candidates that failed those other "much less effective", thus "much less prescribed" treatment options, would've been a "waste of time".
However the FDA, overly risk averse, opted to use this omission, one that really had no bearing on trial outcome of HER2+ candidates, to issue a Refusal To File (RTF) letter. This RTF will delay approval of this very promising drug by at least two years.
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Barbara H.

Thank you to all who have responded. I agree with Pam that in Joe's honor as well as considering the purpose of this website that we should not discuss politics. My purpose for starting this thread is to try to get this decision reversed. I will also write a letter, but I was hoping for ideas about how we can get our letters noticed. I also hope to be considerate about not putting down the FDA. However, I just do not understand how they could have rejected T-DM1.
Hopefully, we can change this decision.
Barbara H.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Barbara H.

Schoonder's reply is absolutely correct. FDA's refusal was based on the technicality that she describes. Their decision is shortening lives and the quality of the lives of HER2 patients that need it.
Barbara H.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Sheila

I agree, we need to do all we can...too many of us cannot wait until 2012 or 2013 to get this drug. I was ahead of my time for the Herceptin in the adjuvant setting, it was only for stage IV when I was diagnosed. Now, I am stage IV, running out of options, and still unable to get the TDM-1... Does the FDA really think it matters when we have nothing else to try?
If they were in our shoes.............

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
hutchibk

The hopefully 'fatal flaw' in their written decision was the sentence "regardless of HER2 status" ~ you can't approach efficacy of potential new treatments for HER2 cancer from a "regardless of HER2 status" standpoint... IT IS ALL ABOUT THE HER2 STATUS. That is why they are developing these targeted treatments, because if the other available treatments that "have not been exhausted by the study patient population, regardless of HER2 status" worked for us, then there would be no need for intense research and focus on treating this subgroup. It's sounding like a "one size fits all" mindset that is so scary in the bigger picture.

Chrisy knows the woman at Genentech that Joe was very close to... perhaps she can connect us with lobbying folks who know the inner workings of this insane bureaucracy and we can offer our powerful, survivor/patient voice to a coordinated push for the FDA to reconsider their flawed thinking.

As well, if anyone has meaningful connections to Komen, they are the most powerful lobbying group for breast cancer and they are currently applying a full court press in coordination with Genentech to the FDA about Avastin... I am guessing if we hit them with our outrage about this, they would be very interested in helping, if they aren't already in the early stages of it.

Anyone here close to Komen? Or does anyone have an in to Nancy Brinker?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 09-05-2010 at 10:46 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
ElaineM

Yes. We need to do something that will help all her2 positive people and honor Joe, but still not be too political.
Sorry I mentioned the White House, but I have personal experience with important requests not getting through to the president in a timely manner. I don't think it is President Obama's fault. He is a very busy person and can't take care of every e-mail request personally. He probably gets hundreds every day. His staff may be in a position to decide what he sees and what he doesn't.
I will go to the FDA website to see if I can find out where we can send something to.
14 Year Survivor
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Old 09-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Debbie L.

Good luck at the FDA site, Elaine. I just spent a LONG time there and couldn't find anything. They started this big "transparency" initiative and if there's anything there about TDM-1 or about inviting public input, it's opaque, not transparent. Jeeze.

They do have a blog about their transparency initiative, where comments can be posted. I wonder if that might be a way to get their attention. Although the ruling on TDM-1, as I understand it, is a done deal - it's not like Avastin where they still have the final meeting coming up.

So here's the blog page if anyone wants to try there:
http://fdatransparencyblog.fda.gov/

The other thing I noticed, while googling all over the place for news of some organized reaction to the TDM-1 accelerated approval denial, was that posts here on the HER2 list show up in a google search. Isn't there a way to make forums private? I'm on several others that don't show up in google.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
hutchibk

Elizabeth Thompson, Senior Vice President of Medical and Scientific Affairs for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250
Dallas, TX 75244
1-877 GO KOMEN

She is the one quoted about Komen's reaction to the FDA/Avastin situation.

Perhaps we can write her a letter outlining our concerns and see what their position is... see if there is any help they can offer.

I don't have time right now to start a letter, but I can certainly contribute to it.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Rich66

Brenda,
I like your ideas on identifying larger entities/avenues to force the message through.
Another powerful avenue might be news organizations. We saw how media picked up on Herceptin years ago. Regardless of political spectrum, health care issues are hot now in terms of getting viewership or readers. Getting a few TDM1 success story patients in front of cameras..maybe picketing in front of FDA headquarters with a media notification could be powerful. I see some of that with Avastin now.

Regarding google searching, I think having forum topics searchable enhances information access. If concerned over privacy, maybe it means being more discreet with names and e-mails in profiles.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
ElaineM

Good idea Brenda. I just did a search for "writing to the FDA". Here is what I found so far. I am still checking and might find more later.
http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/default.htm
Please see the left side bar, right side bar, middle employee directory, FDA centers and offices and other information you might be interested in searching.
Even if the TDM1 decision is a done deal we may wish to comment on it as consumers of health care. It might be good for the FDA to hear from consumers once in awhile since FDA decisions may affect our health care. I do not think this is political. The FDA is an agency that is supposed to advocate for us as consumers by checking the safety of the products we use and the medicines we take.
14 Year Survivor
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
ElaineM

I like your contacting the media idea Rich. We have to pick a good one if we want to do that though. Some of us may not want to be in the spotlight. I am one of those. I am better at behind the scenes work. What about writing to some oncology organizations? Is that a good idea? Going back and reviewing how Herceptin and Tykerb got approved might help us get some ideas too.
14 Year Survivor

Last edited by ElaineM; 09-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Emelie B

I like all the ideas. I think we should at least start a petition type thread and we can all sign it and possibly print it and send to whomever we think would help assist us. I would be glad to do whatever I can.
I also think we Rich's idea of media is excellent. With all the c--- I see on the morning shows, our issue would surely enlighten someone who needs this drug too.
My daughter lives in D.C. and I can always go visit her and try to do something there.
Let's get this thing rolling!!!!
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
ElaineM

All the ideas are good. See what we can do when we put our heads together !!
One more idea. We could team up with another organization like Susan Komen or others and do something.
By the way, "Stand Up To Cancer" will be airing on most of the T. V. channels on September 10th. That is a program about raising money and awareness for cancer research. I think they have a website. Should we look around there for ideas?
14 Year Survivor
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
schoonder

What might have lead Genentech astray.

Was omission of certain non-HER2+ therapies in their T-DM1 trial design a glaring oversight by Genentech that compelled FDA’s RTF response, or was this a misunderstanding by Genentech attributable to lack of specificity by FDA during preceding trial discussions?

Did FDA’s acceptance of trial requirements that did end up receiving Accelerated Drug Approval mislead Genentech in T-DM1's trial construct?
Case in point a recent accelerated approval ruling re: Tykerb where, according to FDA Tykerb WAS NOT compared to Trastuzumab-containing chemo regimen for treatment of MBC. This compare could be done later, why not allow Genentech to correct their shortcoming in the "compassionate" trial setting?
FDA approves TykerbR for use with letrozole to treat certain postmenopausal women with hormone receptor positive metastatic breast cancer

On January 29, 2010, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted accelerated approval to lapatinib tablets (Tykerb®, GlaxoSmithKline) for use in combination with letrozole (Femara®, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp.) for the treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor positive metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses the HER2 receptor and for whom hormonal therapy is indicated. Lapatinib, in combination with an aromatase inhibitor, has not been compared to a trastuzumab-containing chemotherapy regimen for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. The approval was based on a clinically meaningful increase in progression-free survival (PFS) observed in a single trial (EGF30008). As a condition of accelerated approval, subsequent randomized trials are required to verify and describe the clinical benefit of lapatinib in patients with metastatic breast cancer who have received prior treatment with trastuzumab.

EGF30008 was multinational, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of lapatinib plus letrozole versus placebo plus letrozole in patients with hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer who had not received prior therapy for metastatic disease. Patients were randomly assigned to receive lapatinib (1,500 mg once daily) plus letrozole (2.5 mg once daily) or to placebo plus letrozole (2.5 mg once daily). There were 219 patients (17%) who were HER2-positive, 952 (74%) patients who were HER2-negative, and 115 (9%) patients did not have their HER2-receptor status confirmed.

Accelerated approval was based on the results from the group of postmenopausal women with metastatic breast cancer that overexpressed the HER2 receptor. The primary efficacy endpoint was PFS, defined as the time interval between randomization date and the date of either first documented disease progression or death due to any cause. The lapatinib plus letrozole combination had a median PFS of 35.4 weeks compared to 13.0 weeks for the placebo plus letrozole arm (HR = 0.71, p = 0.019). The overall survival data are not mature at this time.

Safety data was evaluated in 1278 postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer. The safety profile of lapatinib in this trial population was consistent with previous safety data. The most common adverse reactions (=10%) in the lapatinib plus letrozole arm were diarrhea, rash, nausea, and fatigue. Elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin were reported in 53% and 22% of the patients receiving lapatinib, respectively. Among 654 patients who received the lapatinib plus letrozole treatment, 26 patients experienced Grade 1 or 2, and 6 patients experienced Grade 3 or 4 decreases in left ventricular ejection fraction.

Full prescribing information, including clinical trial information, safety, dosing, drug-drug interactions and contraindications is available on the
FDA website.

http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Practice+&+Guidelines/Practice+Management+&+Reimbursement/FDA+Drug+Alerts/FDA+approves+TykerbR+for+use+with+letrozole+to+tre at+certain+postmenopausal+women+with+hormone+recep tor+positive+metastatic+breast+cancer
Roche surely isn't shirking their responsibility in completing evaluating T-DM1, presently company is conducting two large, international MBC phase III trials. The issue is that, what appears to be a minor technicality, an inconsistent ruling by FDA, is keeping this drug for at least two years out of hands of critically sick people, of which a good many no longer have viable options for efficacious treatment on hand.

schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote