HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #21
Jackie07

That is why it is called 'cancer', isn't it? - like a crab with many legs...

And that's why when there's no symptom or evidence of disease, it is called 'remission'...

If I understand it correctly, when a disease is completely curable, it won't be called 'cancer'...

I always follow the verses stated in Proverb: Eat, drink, and be merry...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #22
RobinP

cure but not perfect

To date there is no perfect cure for bc. However, that does not mean that some are not cured via chemo, surgery and other adjuvants. I know of several women who lived over thirty years with bc and died of something else. With drugs like Herceptin and other drugs coming out, more and more women will live longer with or be cured of bc. Let's think positive gals, and have hope for the best.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #23
Vi Schorpp

Thanks

Debbie L. for the clarification...re-reading, it does make sense. The distinction you pointed out between regular and late recurrence is well-taken. Thank you.

PinkGirl, the first woman I really knew who had breast cancer was 19 years ago...she's doing wonderful, and she is one of the funniest women I know. She was BRCA+ and is from Long Island originally. She is one of the people in my life who makes me laugh (a lot) whenever I talk to her. Her name is Ruth and thank goodness I met her before her diagnosis because I learned so much from her, and didn't know I would be coping with the same diagnosis.

Part of the problem of not knowing people with breast cancer is that cancer was not discussed so freely in the past. Growing up, I can tell you I heard about people who had cancer in whispered tones, as was the fact that one my uncles "had sugar." I'm glad society has progressed enough to talk about things more openly. Another friend's mother had cancer for 22+ years, but there really was no breast cancer in my family, so that's as close as I knew people with the disease.

Debbie from N.C. you did not upset me at all. I want to have open, honest discussions about things and not have everthing sugar-coated. Recurrence happens.

Herceptin, and so many other targetted therapies, were not around years ago, and there are always things in the pipeline.

I love you guys! Vi
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
Becky

Debbie is right on this one as I saw a presentation on this in that 4.4% of high ER+/PR+ women will relapse after year 7. I don't know the dates on Jackie's articles in her posts but... this was one of the things the trial that tested 5 years of Tamoxifen followed by 5 years of Femara was trying (and did) prove.

More aggressive and fast growing cancers recur early and less aggressive and slow growing cancers can recur later. One of my onc's older partners said the latest recurrence (proven because the women's tumor block was still in storage at the Univ of Chicago) was 27 yrs. It recurred in her lung and she never had had any other treatment besides masectomy (because it was so long ago that there was no chemo or tamoxifen). He put her on Tamoxifen and she had a complete remission and died of something else.

As for the Stage 4 part in my earlier post - it was from the ACS (cancer.org) website when I was first diagnosed. Stage 4 at diagnosis and never had treatment of any kind (45% have disease free survival at 5 yrs). That data is now at least 9 yrs old and its probably better and I bet many of those women were Her2 because they would have received Herceptin.

The other of Jackie's articles state 30% recurrence rates but lump local and distant together and have no time constraints (early or late).

Trust me, not everyone recurs and less do than don't. Period

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
Jackie07

'Love keeps us together...'

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
tricia keegan

Pinkgirl,thanks for bringing this subject up as I also am interested in this dicussion. My dear friend is a lady who was dx at 37 with a two yr old child. She had 22 pos lymph nodes and a poor prognosis back in 1987 I think.
Her daughter has just graduated at age 22, she has never had a recurrance. I don't know if she's her2+ and she does'nt know herself as testing was'nt done at that time.
She thinks she's triple neg , but not sure, BUT,what an inspiration she is to me! She is living proof people can actually survive a poor prognostic outcome and live without a recurrance whether her2 or not.
Her friend has gone almost as long, this gives me hope untold...what do you think??
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #27
KellyA

Hi everyone!

I agree with Becky. I think that most people DO NOT reoccur if they are treated aggressively, and use every available tool they can. I don't know if I will fall in with those that do or don't. I cannot tell you how many people approached me and shared wonderful stories of people they know and family members that survived breast cancer and lived to be 70, 80, or more.

I have to admit that I worry often (even though I try not to) about a reccurence, and even wonder if I will see my children grow up. But as sad and sometimes depressed as I may get on a down day, I would not be able to go through life with a positive attitude or with hope for myself, my children or even in general if I had already made up my mind that I would reoccur.

I choose to believe (and hope) that I won't. I will deal with the negative later only if I have to.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
Bill

Hello, Ladies! I've got an aunt, dx'ed with BC in the early 70's. We correspond almost everyday. A good family friend in AZ, the same thing. Cancer does NOT always reoccur. There are a few things to consider here. One major mind-set that we need to overcome- "what has happened in the past does not control what will happen in the future". Like VI and others have said, there is always something new in the works. Please think back to that first moment when you first heard about Herceptin and the fast-track FDA approval. For most of us, it was out-of-the-blue on the news, right? Right now, everybody take a few deep breaths, close your eyes, and try to picture what will be on the news on October 14th. We can't. (well, I can, but you can't, anyhow...) There are so many advances in science and medical technologies coming our way at an ever-increasing rate. While we sleep comfortably in our beds tonight, there are countless people studying and working on our behalf. A statistic is written in stone. Kick that stone aside, and by whatever means necessary, write your own future.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #29
Unregistered

It is definitely true that most women diagnosed with early breast cancer do not ever recur. For example, my Mom was diagnosed almost 18 years ago, and is fine.

On the other hand, women with stage 4 breast cancer, such as myself, by definition already have metastases. While I very much wish that Becky were correct that only 50% of women with stage 4 breast cancer recur, that simply is not true. (Maybe she means stage 3??) Almost all women with stage 4 disease eventually recur. That is why it is considered to be treatable not curable.

When the NY Times described Elizabeth Edwards' mets diagnosis it stated,
"According to statistics from the American Cancer Society, only 26.1 percent of patients with Stage 4 breast cancer live five years or more, but those figures are by nature outdated and do not reflect recent medical advances." (Keep in mind that these stats are for survival at 5 years and not for recurrance over a lifetime.) I hope and believe that the stats are better now, but, unfortunately, they are not close to 50% survival for metastatic breast cancer. I don't mean to be negative. I just want to correct the misinformation that was posted.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #30
madubois63

Don't get me wrong...I plan on being a very old lady with lots of grand kids! No matter that I was originally diagnosed stage IV, reoccurred 3 times with bc, got leukemia from chemo, had liver failure and then extreme iron overload (there's more, but that's just minor stuff). I live day to day for each new treatment that will get me to next mishap...I do not believe in statistics! I write my own statistics and story...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #31
Mary Jo

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I missed this thread. When I read the remark made about a recurrence happening to all of us at some point, it left me a little unsettled I must admit. I waited for someone to add their comments to this but none came. I'm happy you brought it up for discussion pinkgirl.

I liked reading everyone's comments and like many of you have stated I choose to live my life in the now. Taking the best care of myself that I can and enjoying each breath God gives me.

Whether I ever have a recurrence or not isn't something I can think about often as it would suck the life right out of me. What will happen will happen and I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Very interesting discussion and thank you pinkgirl for addressing it for all of us.

Holding all my "sisters" and "brothers" close in prayer and asking for God's Peace to surround each of us as we travel onward..............

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #32
Bill

Exactly, Madame Dubois! Statistics are accumulated and analyzed data from the past. By definition, it is impossible to analyze and interpret data from the future, because it hasn't happened. All of our knowledge, as a species, is ever-increasing, and we all have so much control over our own lives, to make beneficial changes through diet, exercise, prayer, positive thinking, etc., that we should be encouraged by the future.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #33
Becky

Hi Unregistered

Your figures may be true for Stage 4 women who became Stage 4 - like your example of Elizabeth Edwards - she was not diagnosed Stage 4 but at Stage 3. She was treated with surgery, chemo and radiation and then recurred. These women will not be cured but may be NED for years without recurrence (and, as you said - they may never recur).

However, women diagnosed as Stage 4 from the get go, being chemotherapy naive, they may never recur and the chemo may do its magic the first time as it does in the lower stages of cancer (by erradicating micro mets that we don't even know are there). I stand by my fact and I am sure yours is true to but we are talking about 2 different kinds of Stage 4 patients.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #34
Gerri

My mother-in-law was dx'd over 15 years ago. Her tumor was 2cm. She had a masectomy and radiation, no chemo or anti-hormonals. She is cancer free to this day.

A very good friend was dx'd in 2003, probably stage 3C. She had several tumors, the largest was 7cm, vascular invasion and positive nodes. She had a bi-lateral mastectomy, chemo, and radiation. She has been on Femara the entire time. Her onc gave her 6 months to live - it will be 5 years this September. She has not had a recurrence.

I wouldn't say that I am worried about recurrence, but I am enough of a realist to know it is a possibility. Having said that I also believe that the treatment we are recieving now will prove to change those statistics for the better. WE are the new stats that will give hope to others in the years to come.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault

Last edited by Gerri; 08-01-2008 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: correction
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #35
sassy

One reason I no longer visit other sites is that discussions often become attacks, which serves no purpose. Here we have discussions that benefit us all.

I'm not a "stick my head in the sand person" at all. I have the possibility to recurr, just as we all do. But I do not believe recurrance is inevitable. Even in my small community, there are several ladies who were dx'd over 20 years ago and have not recurred. Many told me of their disease after my dx. I did not know they had had BC because it was prior to my move here 27 years ago.

One thing to remember is that the statistics quoted for 10,15,20 years survival are based on data that is for initial treatment 10,15,20 years ago. Not based on current treatment.

For those of us who were dx'd early stage, Herceptin has changed the stats significantly favorably. And if I'm not mistaken, the longest term stats available could only be for about seven years (since the initialization of the HERA trial). We are in a category that does not have historical statistical data.

Do any of us look at traffic death statistics and refuse to travel in a car? Probably not. But hopefully we look at the contributing factors to traffic deaths and take steps to increase our odds of survival, ie wearing seatbelts, not talking on cell phones when driving, etc. We should look at recurrance stats the same way and take those steps that we can to increase our odds of survival, ie treatments, lifestyle, diet.

Cancer is a part of our lives--otherwise we wouldn't be here. But it should ONLY be a part--not the whole.

Enjoy life.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #36
hutchibk

All I know is that stage IV doesn't worry me... as I am convinced that I have more than 9 lives and there are at least 50 stages. That's what gets me through the day!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #37
Jean

Becky - thank you for clearing up the issue of stage 4
PERIOD.....LOL

First of all as many before have mentioned the most important issue we must all remember is that "TODAY" my sisters....it starts now, today...those who are /were/dx. early stage and treated/either with chemo/or/with chemo and/herceptin will change the stats....it is already happening. Think about this,
how could the stats stay the same? Herceptin and many of the new chemo drugs are already working, we see that on this site everyday...

To say that this nasty disease "ALWAYS" comes back...is just not true/nor/logical. There are many women who have not recurred, and just maybe you have not met the ones that have not. I have a friend whose Aunt died of "old age" had bc when she was in her 30's....had a mastectomy (which was the only medical approach back then) This friend's Aunt passed when she was in her 80's and as I said not of bc./or any other cancer.

While many women will recur /there are many who will not recur. I believe that with early detection (thanks to
newer methods ) new treatment choices, great attention to diet, and keeping our immune system as strong as possible, and very important - continue to be dilagent with your health care, have your check ups ....(some become complacent as the years pass) we are seeing the tide change. Yes, there is no cure for cancer - TODAY....but as Bill states....who knows what we will be hearing in October...The future is ours.

I love all of you - and we must continue to fight and stay
strong.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 08-01-2008 at 01:40 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:31 AM   #38
goops

Quote:
All I know is that stage IV doesn't worry me... as I am convinced that I have more than 9 lives and there are at least 50 stages. That's what gets me through the day!
I guess there are two of us here like that. I don't believe in the word incurable, I had a cat whose cancer was "incurable" - he got down to just a few pounds and the vet felt he would die within hours, instead he got up started eating and within a couple of days was playing and a couple of weeks later the vet could no longer find any signs of cancer. My cat Phillip taught me that there is no such thing as incurable.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #39
Kathy S in Tokyo

Location: From Syracuse, NY but living in Tokyo, Japan for 26yrs
Hey, I've exceeded the median range (12 to 24 months) now going into my 4th year of stage IV active disease and fighting (Kathy pops a party cracker :-) ). I have a few friends who are long time (more than 20 years) stage IV survivors and who love to laugh. I figure it can't hurt to be happy and laugh whatever the numbers say. I'm so glad that I was never very good at math.

I agree with PinkGirl about Maryann's upbeat postings and remain thankful that new drugs are coming out all the time and information is available here to help me make lifestyle choices to improve my odds.
11/2005 Clavicle & neck lymph nodes mets
30 Days rads, 7 months CEF-T Chemo
6/2006 mid chemo lung mets oral toremifene
10/2006 changed hospitals
12/2006 Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex
2/2007 Dramatic growth of mets! Stopped Tamoxifen and Zoladex
3/2007 Began weekly Herceptin
6/2007 Added weekly Taxol to regime
4/2008 More lung mets - stopped Taxol
5/2008 Xeloda - 3 weeks on 1 week off
8/2008 Got a port!
9/2008 Stopped Xeloda, started weekly Navelbine
12/2008 Tumor progression, stopped Navelbine
1/2009 Taxotere begins again, once in every three weekly Herceptin IVs
3/2009 Added Zometa pelvic bone met, lung tumors progressing, stopped Taxotere/Herceptin
4/10/2009 Whoa seizure! 6cm&3cm brain mets. craniotomy and gamma knife surgery 5/15/2009 Started
Adria/Cyto stopped 9/15 due to progession. Brain mets back 10/28 surgery more gamma soon
Kathy S in Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #40
PinkGirl

I think one of the things that has affected my thinking on this is that when I hear the nice high numbers of survival, they always say ..... this many people are living beyond 5 years.

I can't really get excited about 5 years. I'm already at 3 years.
I know that I am not a stat but why do they keep talking about
5 years?

As far as me not knowing any long term survivors, I guess that
spray cheese is not the only thing missing in my little town

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,