HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Lani

resection of bc mets to liver prolongs survival in ER+ chemosensitive patients

from ASCO GI IN SAN FRANCISCO--Wish the study was for her2+ vs her2-, but rather it was for er+ vs er-

THE NEGATIVE:Resection of breast cancer liver metastases in patients with chemotherapy-responsive, estrogen receptor (ER)-positive primary tumors was associated with increased survival compared with resection of tumors in ER-negative primary tumors.

An ER-negative tumor and preoperative disease progression despite chemotherapy were associated with a three- to fourfold worse survival after liver metastasis resection.

THE POSITIVE:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Resection of breast cancer liver metastases paid off in a survival benefit in patients with chemotherapy-responsive, estrogen receptor (ER)-positive primary tumors, according to data from a retrospective chart review.
The chart review of more than 80 patients found those with ER-positive tumors had a median survival of 77 months with liver resection compared with 23 months for ER-negative tumors (P<0.001). An objective response to chemotherapy was associated with a median survival of 79 months versus 32 months for progressive disease as best response (P=0.049), researchers reported here at the Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium.

In a multivariate analysis, an ER-negative tumor and preoperative disease progression were associated with a three- to fourfold worse survival after liver metastasis resection.

Although the cases were small in number, they are relevant in the context of changing views about cancer that metastasizes to the liver, said Daniel E. Abbott, MD, of the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

"I think there has been a paradigm shift over the past 10 years or so, where it has been realized that resection of metastases from a lot of different histologic types can lead to long-term survival," Abbott told MedPage Today. "I don't think that was recognized previously. As other centers have had experience with long-term survivors, it has become more accepted."

"I think there has been something of a nihilistic attitude toward breast cancer metastasis to other organs in the past," he added.

Generally incurable, most liver metastases from breast cancer are treated with chemotherapy or hormonal therapy. However, oncologists increasingly have recognized that a subset of patients derives a substantial benefit from hepatic resection, said Abbott.

The characteristics of long-term survivors with liver metastases have remained unclear. In an effort to identify some of these traits, Abbott and colleagues reviewed medical records of breast cancer patients and found 86 patients who underwent resection of liver metastases from 1997 to 2010.

Three fourths (64 of 86) of the patients had estrogen- or progesterone receptor-positive tumors, 53 (62%) had solitary liver metastases, and 73 (85%) had liver metastases <5 cm. In addition, 65 (76%) of the patients received preoperative chemotherapy, and 10 (12%) patients received two or more chemotherapy regimens prior to resection of their liver metastases.

Defining best response as the optimal response at any time during metastatic disease, the investigators found that only two patients had progression as best response, but 19 (29%) patients had preoperative progression.

After a median follow-up of 62 months median overall and progression-free survival (PFS) were 57 and 14 months, respectively.

Univariate analysis revealed several predictors of improved or worse survival, including:

Preoperative response to chemotherapy, 79 versus 29 months, P=0.018
Preoperative progression, 23 versus 79 months, P≤0.001
Hormone receptor-negative (ER/PR-) primary tumor, 28 versus 77 months, P≤0.001
Similarly, several factors predicted PFS, including:

Objective response, 31 versus 6.4 months, P≤0.001
Stable disease, 25.3 versus 7.5 months, P=0.037
Preoperative progression, 6.4 versus 26.3 months, P<0.001
Post-hepatectomy chemotherapy, 20.7 versus 12.2 months, P=0.008
Multivariate analysis showed that an ER-negative primary tumor was associated with survival hazard of 3.3 (P=0.009) and preoperative disease progression with a hazard of 3.8 (P=0.003).

Although the review identified only a small number of cases over a 13-year period, the researchers said the findings were relevant in light of recent changes in clinical concepts about breast cancer liver metastases.

And, the findings could prove useful to physicians in discussions with patients about the possible benefits of liver resection.

"I think this information is most valuable when people are willing to counsel patients and make the tougher decisions about who should and should not have surgery and then let patients make informed decisions," said Abbott.

"If patients have a poor prognosis, they need to understand that perhaps they should not be undergoing such an invasive procedure. Conversely, people need to understand that some patients can have very long survival. Even though it's not very common, there are a select few patients with favorable biology who can benefit greatly form surgery," he added.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
chrisy

Re: resection of bc mets to liver prolongs survival in ER+ chemosensitive patients

Exactly, Lani! I wonder, since it was a retrospective study, if they would have the data needed to tease out the her2+ vs. her2+ question. And what the curve actually looks like. Although both questions would be difficult, as it was not a lot of patients (looks like 22 of the 86 were ER/PR-). Still, it is an important question and it's unsettling that Her2 status is not even mentioned as that is an important factor in survival - used to be bad, now its better.

These findings state that a "subset" of patients get substantial benefit (ER+). But is there a "subset" of ER-/HEr2+ that also responded well? What if only 3 of the 22 were HER2+ but all responded well?

It's really important to get that information looked at - otherwise we may be throwing out the Her2babies with the bathwater. It's likely to become even more difficult in the future to get that data if the findings from this study become standard of care and ONLY ER+ people are offered this option - most Her2+ are also ER-.

Intuitively, I think that having targeted systemic treatment (hormonal in the case of ER+, /Herceptin etc. for Her2) would be an important factor. But I want to know the facts - positive or negative - on how Her2 plays into this.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Jackie07

Re: resection of bc mets to liver prolongs survival in ER+ chemosensitive patients

Found the following link on the same report:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingC...e/ASCOGI/24490

The obvious flaw of the study is that Her2 status was not counted. As we all have learned that Her2 status has become a more favorable factor because of Herceptin/Tykerb... The 2nd question comes to mind is how many of the Er- samples are triple negative. Since a triple negative diagnosis generally has a less favorable prognosis than most of the other subsets, I have a strong feeling that it's the triple negative factor that made the Er- number turned out as such.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Joan M

I would agree about the ER/PR status. We all know that women who are ER+ do better than those who are ER-, but only as long as they take Tamoxifen or an AI. Those who don't are playing with fire. This type of study is necessary to determine whether local procedures have any benefit for women with metastatic disease. But this study was flawed.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Lori R

Lani,
Thank you so much for posting. I've been so uncertain about my continued attempts to freeze my liver met with enough surrounding margin to kill the little bugger once and for all.

I am pleased that while the stats are fuzzy regarding Her2, at least it opens the discussion about using resection for the benefit of a few.

Besides...I now have Dr. Abbott from MD Anderson on my short list for when I decide to seriously consider a liver resection.

Thank you....Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Sheila

This is very interesting to me as my dear friend who was diagnosed almost 4 years ago, Her2- ER+ and PR- was told today that she has reached the end of the road...she developed ascites 3 weeks ago, up until then was doing well on Navelbine, but no AI's. I think I diagnosed the ascites before her oncologist, they kept saying colon....I felt disease progression...she had a paracentesis 1 week ago, another 2 days ago and her abdiomen is already filled again. She was switched to Carbo/Gemzar, but it is playing havoc with her counts...now her Bili is going up dramatically.... her B/P is plumetting...she was discharged today from a large hospital in Chicago...I am amazed at how far she has gone down hill in 3 weeks...I just cannot lose another friend right now....I asked her why they never mentioned liver resection or ablation and she said numerous tumors...she went from working full time 3 weeks ago to this point...i am devastated any advice on what if anything I can do to help her? Her oncologist is a top onc. in Chicago at a well known hospital, and I fear she is too ill right now to seek another opinion.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
chrisy

Sheila I sent you a pm. The thing you CAN definitely do is let her know how much you love her.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
michka

I am going crazy. I am fighting to have my 2 liver mets taken out. I am now 20%ER+. So? On what side am I? Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Trish

Thanks for posting,
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Missyw

Hi Lani,

I am always so grateful for your posts. I had a single met resected in June of 09. To make a very long story short, due to the location, I was not a candidate for any of the more advanced treatment options (ablation, cyberknife etc.) so resection was my only surgical option. I also went on Navelbine prior to my surgery and for a brief time thereafter. The surgery was a bit rough, but I was home in 5 days and functioning just fine. I couldn't drive for a couple of weeks. I returned to work half days after three weeks and full time after four. It is not an ideal operation, but I am still NED as of this writing, so I don't regret it at all. My onc was not thrilled with the idea, but she quickly came on board when she saw how much I wanted it. It is wonderful to have some scientific data to support the resection option. At the time, she explained her reluctance to support the surgery was because there was no data to support any additional survival time and risks were significant. Thank you again for keeping us informed of all the latest information.

Diagnosed 1/06; Her-2, er/pr+
lumpectomy
4 Rounds A/C
tiny area of interest in liver - watching
12 rounds of Taxol w/ Herceptin
tiny area cleared - Stage IV (because area responded to chemo)
Herceptin weekly
27 rounds radiation
NED 8/06
10/06 oopherectomy
Arimidex
1/07-7/07 Vaccine Trial - UW Seattle
3/09 liver met back
3/09 Navelbine, Herceptin Aromasin
6/09 Liver Resection
Missyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
michka

Thanks Lani! It gives me more courage to fight all those doctors saying it's no use for breast cancer.
My onc is trying to find a place to operate. I am sure something will work because I am pounding at so many doors.
My onc came up however with a strange chemo he intended to do after surgery. Remember he first spoke of CMF and I jumped off my chair. Now he is speaking about Endoxan and Metrotexate??? I now Endoxan because it was part of FEC I supported it so bad but not Metrotexate. What's that?
I asked why not Navelbine? He said lets get these tumors our first and we'll discuss together after. Meanwhile I am stll on Herceptin, Tykerb and Tamoxifen
Love to all. Michka

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Ellie F

Hi Michka
Just wanted to clarify something. My understanding is that FEC is fluorouracil (5fu), epirubicin and cyclophosphamide.Endoxan I understand is a brand name for cyclophosphamide.
As epirubicin is an anthracycline antibiotic I was told there is a limit on how much they can use due to side effects like heart damage over a lifetime.For this reason they avoid giving it with herceptin.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
michka

Hi Ellie.Yes but isn't there anything better since FEC worked so poorly? Or does he think that since I am less ER+ he could try again? And is is better than Navelbine? That's my only question. And who takes Metrotexate? Michka

Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Sheila

Michka
I took Methotrexae, with Cytoxan and had a good response for 4 months, both are oral drugs, they are a Metronomic synergistic chemo, I did Herceptin at the same time....I agree though, I would try the Navelbine . Many have had a great response on it.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Ellie F

Hi Michka
I think the problem we ALL have is that as yet we do not have a sophisticated enough analysis of which drugs will work for which subsets of patients.
I agree with Sheila though that navelbine has worked well for many and is less toxic than some others.Certainly Sherry and Kim have stayed NED after having this and been maintained on herceptin.
Keeping fingers and toes crossed for a good outcome.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
DeenaH

Thank you so much for posting this! I have a tiny liver met (not confirmed, but doubled in size in 2 1/2 months), and I can't imagine why I wouldn't want to have it cut away. The liver regenerates, so what are the risks? Other than the usual risks with any surgery. I know they can't do anything until it is confirmed cancer, but if it is, I would love to either cyberknife it or resect it. This data is something I can use if I need to. I don't know why it would be more effective in ER+ vs. HER2+ though. Surgery is surgery isn't it?
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Joan M

Deena,

You can have a liver resection, or a minimally invasive procedure like RFA or cryoablation.

The idea behind not doing these local procedures is that stage 4 bc is a systemic disease. If you're thinking about doing a local treatment it might be good to add chemo anyway.

Women on this board have had success with either a local treatment or chemo alone.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Lani

Deena --as I understand it the liver has the consistency of tomato aspic and, as you can guess it us hard to sew tomato aspic to tomato aspic and may be hard to stop bleeding as well.

So it may not be a walk in the park, but it is done all the time and has a good track record according to the paper I posted.

Surgery is not surgery for any tumor. Some tumors are more likely to be eradicated by cutting them out than others. Some tumors bleed more than others. Some may recruit more angiogenic factors which might wake up dormant cancer stem cells in the bone marrow than others. Some are more amenable to be removed completely without spreading other cells...

If cancer is anything,...it is complicated!!!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
norkdo

Hi Michka
Just wanted to clarify something. My understanding is that FEC is fluorouracil (5fu), epirubicin and cyclophosphamide.Endoxan I understand is a brand name for cyclophosphamide.
As epirubicin is an anthracycline antibiotic I was told there is a limit on how much they can use due to side effects like heart damage over a lifetime.For this reason they avoid giving it with herceptin.

Ellie

Ellie and Mishka: Thank you a million times for this discussion/ clarification. Gold. The reason I did a search on our site for topics related to liver resection and b.c. is that I have just come from my onc who told me that if I had mets to my liver or lungs in the future that he would not recommend resection "because it does not work for breast cancer..only for colon cancer and such. BC is too systemic. If we resected your liver, tumor(s) would just pop up elsewhere." I was shocked to hear him say this and googled it. Found really positive studies (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856635/)
Really loving that Mischka's pressure changed her onc's mind. Gives me less worry for the future.
Question: after reading the link, am I correct that fifty percent of BC metastasizes?

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Jackie07

Here's an abstract on the same subject (but did not distinguish the Er status):

Updates Surg. 2010 Dec;62(3-4):143-8.
Hepatic metastases from breast cancer.

Rubino A, Doci R, Foteuh JC, Morenghi E, Fissi S, Giorgetta C, Abumalouh I, Tommaso LD, Gennari L.
Source

Department of General Surgery I, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Milan, Italy, arianna.rubino@humanitas.it.

Abstract

The prognosis of patients with hepatic metastasis from breast cancer treated with systemic or regional chemotherapy is disappointing. When technically feasible, liver resection offers the best results. Eighteen patients out of 22 submitted to laparotomy underwent radical liver resection. Median follow-up from liver resection was 36 months. The median time interval between breast cancer diagnosis and disease recurrence was 35 months. Median disease-free survival and overall survival from liver resection were 66 and 74 months, respectively. Median survival time from breast cancer surgery was 88.5 months. Surgical treatment of liver metastases should be carried out on young and older patients alike when site of metastases is the liver alone. Neoadjuvant treatment and preoperative diagnostic laparoscopy should be planned in future experience.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-04-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote