HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
KDR

Stress Major Driver In Cancer Cells

Hello, dear HER2 family,
I have been away, checking in occasionally, but am doing well on X/T/H. I am in the normal range on this protocol and find it much easier than Taxol & Herceptin as it is mainly pill form and there are no steriods (pre-meds). So, you CAN get there with Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin. Let's hope it lasts. And thank you so much for those of you who wrote such warm thoughts to me with respect to 9/11. Amazing that you all remembered. It shows what great relationships we have built, some spanning across the globe. My dear friend sent me this article this morning and I had to share:
Scientists identify stress receptor that stimulates growth and migration of cancer cells

Published on September 22, 2011 at 12:32 AM · No Comments

It's a common belief that there's a link between chronic stress and an increased risk of cancer. In new research published online by the International Journal of Cancer, scientists at The University of Western Ontario have taken a step toward confirming that belief.
Research led by Dwayne Jackson of the Departments of Medical biophysics and Biomedical Engineering has identified a particular neurotransmitter released in response to stress, that stimulates both cancer cell growth and migration in breast cancer.
Working with Ph.D candidate Philip Medeiros, Jackson looked at a branch of the nervous system called the sympathetic nervous system, and how it "talks" to cells in various organs throughout the body. When the sympathetic nervous system is activated, like it is during stress, it communicates with receptors on cells through the release of neurotransmitters called norepinephrine and neuropeptide Y or NPY. This is a normal response that prepares the body for "fight or flight".
"We have all heard anecdotally that stress causes cancer. Our lab is particularly interested in how chronic stress may cause increases in the release of NPY and whether that may contribute to the progression of breast cancer," explains Jackson, an Assistant Professor at Western's Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. "It has been shown that women with a familial history of breast cancer exhibit greater physiological stress responses to normal everyday stressors. Since there is a very dense supply of sympathetic nerves in the female breast, it would be reasonable to suspect that NPY may be released in greater amounts in the breasts of those at risk for breast cancer. Thus, we postulated if cancer cells are present and they respond to NPY, then this neuropeptide and its receptors would form a functional link between stress and breast cancer progression."
"Once we had established that breast cancer cells express the receptors for NPY, then we went through a set of experiments that looked at the functional consequences of activating them. We found NPY greatly accelerates cell growth as well as cell migration and these are two important steps in primary tumour growth, as well as in metastasis," concludes Medeiros.
Source: University of Western Ontario

Sent with sisterly love,
Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Stress Major Driver In Cancer Cells

Thanks for sharing. Despite my oncologist refuting this I have ALWAYS known that the chronic stress I suffered for at least 2 years before diagnosis was a major factor. That together with reaching 50 years when immune function is low didn't help! One problem is that once diagnosed it's hard NOT to suffer chronic stress worrying about the disease, horrible treatments
etc
Glad to hear you're doing well
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
norkdo

ditto for years before. they say her2 lines the ducts for years before detection

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
NEDenise

Ellie, and Nora,
I couldn't agree more! Though my onc. disagrees as well.
At any rate...once I'm cured...there is NOTHING in this whole world that will ever get me that stressed out again! Deep breathing, yoga, meds, and of course, prayer...whatever it takes.
I've already laid down the law with my siblings about stressing their favorite sister out!!
And, my boss isn't going to recognize the un-stressable teacher she gets back after all this. With any luck...she'll retire from the shock!! (She's a real pain!)

Stay calm sisters! Even if we're the only ones who know it...stress is like junk food to those cancer beasties...don't feed them!!!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
BonnieR

I often said "if stress causes cancer, no wonder I got it". I had particularly stressful times prior to diagnosis. It probably did not cause cancer, but maybe contributed to it. Hey, doctors denied chemo brain existed too, but they were proven wrong.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
caya

Very stressful time for me before BC as well - DH had a brain aneurysm in January 2006, I was diagnosed in October 2006.
DH had coiling procedure for his aneurysm, full recovery - we were very lucky with him.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
fauxgypsy

Doctors also took a long time to start washing their hands before delivering babies. Childbirth fever couldn't be their fault. Hmmmm. I believe that they will continue to find a link between stress levels and cancer.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
CoolBreeze

I haven't been stressed. I have a good life, wonderful kids, a great job and a nice husband. I don't have financial problems, I have everything I need and until I got cancer, had no major problems. The past 20 years have been great.

No stress.

So, why did I get cancer?

How many woman are dx'd with breast cancer each year? Half a million? Are they saying that all of them were undergoing such stress that it caused their cells to mutate?

I'm with the onc's that don't believe it, and I very much dislike the idea that somehow our lifestyles or stress level or something we did caused cancer.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
KDR

Cancer, as we know, is complex and is actually a dis-ease made up of several, if not hundreds, of dis-eases. We also know that the mind-body connection is real, and that for a great many, although not all, stress triggers illnesses. Most oncologists would agree, I believe, if you DO have cancer, one should keep stress to a minimum. Therefore, I think the same should apply pre-cancer: keeping stress to a minimum. Society is always looking for great de-stress outlets: yoga, exercise, aromatherapy, meditation, etc. I don't think the article is saying stress is WHY breast cancer happens, only that could be a likely driver (for some). If any of these theories were proven, we'd have a cure already.

Will be thinking of you as you undergo your liver procedure. Wishing you well,
Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
NEDenise

Ann,
If you read what Karen posted carefully, you'll see that the research does not postulate that stress caused the cancer. And I just reread all the posts in this thread. Not one woman claimed stress caused her cancer. The research is about whether the neurotransmitters released when we are stressed impact the progression of breast cancer, when disease is already present.

It may not have been your intention, but your post seems dismissive of what others, myself included, believe to be true. It's okay with me if you "don't like the idea" that stress impacted my cancer. But the mocking tone in your post is not okay with me. What we believe is just as worthy as what you believe. As Karen pointed out above...no knows what causes cancer...it's a combination of things...probably.

My life, even with cancer, is GREAT!! It would make a terrific romantic comedy! But that doesn't mean that I don't have stress. And, I know that stress effects my well-being.
I'm not saying I caused my cancer. I didn't.
I'm not saying that I deserve cancer. I don't. No one does.
I just know that stress plays a role in my health.
Not because I'm weak, because I'm not.
Just because it does.

I respect your right to state your opinion. I don't even mind if it disagrees with mine 100%. But, please don't mock what I believe. It's offensive, and none of us deserves that.

Please know, that despite our difference of opinion, I wish you all the best on the 3rd. I'll be thinking of you.
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
Old 10-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Debbie L.

My goodness, this topic heightens emotions. There's no reason we cannot each have our own opinions and beliefs, and discuss this without accusations. In the interest of full disclosure (smile), I will say that my opinions and beliefs are close to CoolBreeze's.

We can't say that just because someone disagrees, they are being "dismissive". This is a support and discussion forum. We can't have interesting and deep discussions if we are not willing to listen to other opinions, no matter how strongly they might be worded. We cannot support each other if we are not willing to hear each other, without getting our feelings ruffled.

Perhaps because I agree with CoolBreeze, I don't think her comments were dismissive nor too strongly-worded. She was simply stating what is true, for her.

The stress question has been ongoing for a LONG time. Studies of it contradict each other almost every time a new one comes out. There are so many issues around it. First of all, and most essentially -- life is stress. Especially if we go with the oft-quoted (though debatable) concept that it takes 10 years for cancer to reach detectable levels -- I would like to hear from someone who can claim that they were somehow able live 10 years of their life without experiencing some stress. And what about all the people with much worse stress than we experienced -- who have not developed detectable cancer?

It's just not a useful thing, in my view -- to blame stress (which almost-always involves other people) -- for the occurrence of our cancer. It's a cop-out, of sorts, to do that. Why not just accept that cancer is a crap shoot, acknowledge that life is uncertain and often involves stress -- and focus our efforts on finding ways that help us, as individuals, to deal with cancer, and with life? Not with the intention of controlling the behavior of our cancer, but with the intention of living the best life we can live? How we do that will be different for each person. We cannot expect every personality to achieve some ideal level of "Zen-ness" that will protect them from cancer. We have to accept that the circumstances of our lives, the ways we live them, and the ways we deal with stress -- will be different for each of us. Not right, not wrong. Just different.

I cannot think of anything more stressful than believing that if we "allow" ourselves to become stressed, we are affecting the behavior of our cancer. In that case, maybe we could all just take mega doses of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, and avoid stress, and cancer, altogether? We would pretty-much avoid any kind of richness in life altogether, also. I say that not to be facetious or sarcastic, but to try and make my point.

It's to each one of us to find the tools that work for us, as we live thru the stresses of life. Again -- not because it will affect our cancer, but because it will affect our quality of life. In my opinion. I encourage you to disagree with me. I am not threatened by debate. I value it, as a way to understand other ideas better, and as a way to clarify my own thoughts (as I engage in the debate). I respect your opinion and I uphold your right to express it, as strongly as you wish.

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
NEDenise

Debbie,
First let me say that my post was not written in anger. I'm sorry if my message came across that way. I only meant to state my feelings, which is never the wrong thing to do, and to assert my right to have my beliefs treated respectfully. As I have treated yours.

I support your right to disagree, and Ann's as well. Wholeheartedly.

To paraphrase what you so eloquently stated, we each deal with life, and by extension, the battle with cancer, in our own way.
I guess what I'm saying is...speak for yourself...like the 4 or 5 sisters before you did. We were speaking in the first person (I), while you are speaking in the plural (we).

None of the posts here was stating a rule that governs all cancer survivors. No one said anything that could be construed as "women bring BC upon themselves", or "you let yourself get cancer".
We were simply sharing our own beliefs about our personal experiences. We all noticed that the period just before our diagnosis was stressful.

None of us was speaking for anyone but ourselves.
Why would anyone dispute that?
I don't understand.
How does our knowledge that stress effected our bodies compel someone to point out how wrong we are (in her opinion)?
That's what I don't understand.

You are certainly free to speak emphatically about yourself, and your beliefs about whether stress is a factor in your cancer. But no one is free to question the validity of what I believe.

You are exactly right, when you write that we have to feel free to express opinions, even when we disagree. But, to say,
"I cannot think of anything more stressful than believing that if we "allow" ourselves to become stressed, we are affecting the behavior of our cancer." or that "It's just not a useful thing, in my view -- to blame stress (which almost-always involves other people) -- for the occurrence of our cancer. It's a cop-out, of sorts, to do that" is not a fair reflection of the direction the thread was taking.

I can't speak for the other ladies, but I don't "allow" myself to be stressed. It happens when there are things beyond what I have the power to allow or disallow.

And, none of us claimed that stress caused our cancer. I don't know what caused my cancer, and neither do you.
We just don't know.
But for me, there's one thing of which I am sure...stress is a factor in my health.
That's for me, and no one else to determine.
I'm willing to accept that for Ann, and Debbie, and thousands of other BC survivors, stress may not play a role.
Cool.
No problem.
I never even hinted that it did.

Like Karen said, if we knew all the answers, we'd have a cure by now.

But I still assert that it's important to word posts carefully, so as not to risk offending.

My feathers don't ruffle easily. And, I'm all for the sharing of opposing opinions, but I feel that it must be done without judgment, or even a hint of mocking.

In polite society, we are careful not to question an acquaintance's religious or political beliefs.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that my beliefs about my health will not be disputed either.

For instance, I don't choose to eat a vegan diet, but I don't make light of my HER2 sisters who do. They are not wrong, simply because I'm doing what I believe is right for me.

I'm not a pro-biotic user, but that doesn't give me the right to dispute another survivor's belief that these supplements help her to manage her health, and combat cancer.

Similarly, I'm not wrong for believing that stress makes my cancer progress, simply because you disagree. Your being right, doesn't make me wrong. That's all I'm saying.

We just have to agree to disagree...politely.
Best Regards,
Denise

11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
BonnieR

Well, I suppose my comment was flippant. Because I did not mean to suggest that stress CAUSED my cancer, really, but it occurred at a time of great stress and I made the connection.
However, I was responding to a scientific article that studied this and suggested the connection to be a valid one. It does not mean that it is true for everyone. Nor that you wont get cancer if you are stress free. It is all just another piece of a complex puzzle. I remember when I was first diagnosed a woman asked me "so what did you do to cause yourself to get cancer?" I wanted to kill her because we are not to blame for getting cancer, nor did we bring it on. (with exception of risky behavior like smoking). But lots of things contribute to getting this disease probably. Including it being a crap shoot.
Keep the faith. And keep your cool

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
Pray

I tend to go through life on the yellow line.

I was under a lot more stress then most for years up to and still after my dx. I do believe it played a role in my cancer being aggressive

I do believe I unknowingly had a lot to do with my getting cancer. I used to eat a lot of sugar, tons of processed foods and a lot of Diet Pepsi! All of this is on the envir. list of things that cause cancer.

I never smoked, I do not drink, I never lived by any kind of power plant, I never had a well, I don't have the Bracca gene, I don't swim in chlorine water.

I did do sugar, processed foods, stress and diet pepsi big time!

I make no claim that this has happened to anyone else!

Gods blessings to all!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #15
Ellie F

Just to chime in again. The article rang particular bells for me when it highlighted the high number of neurotransmitters in breast tissue, a fact I had been unaware of.The authors postulate for those AT RISK stress could be a factor which drives the cancer.
I believe I was one of the unfortunate ones at risk.Maybe it is coincidence that I suffered stress before diagnosis? What I personally believe is true for me was the type of stress, that brought up feelings of huge fear for my own safety and that of my family. It was also a stress that had unpredictability at it's heart and engendered many feelings of vulnerability and helplessness. I believe I am a strong and normally resilient person and have enjoyed a good life but everyone has their 'tipping point'.
As cancer is such a complex disease and a very individual one I feel it will be some time if ever before anyone can definitively say what the cause is!

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #16
chekmark

This is my personal intake on this and not meant to offend anyone, (personal intake). Diet and excerise is important for any disease. That just makes sense. I was a fitness instructor for years and was very healthy and I still got cancer. Stress is bad for any disease. See where I am going with this? If they are 100% sure of what exactly is linked to cancer I think we would be closer to a cure. I feel that our immune systems just got tired and quit fighting off those cancer cells that every individual has in their body. I know people that do all the right things and have cancer and I know people that drink, smoke and eat whatever they want and are healthy as an ox. Go figure. It is a crap shoot and we are the unfortunate ones to have gotten cancer. We give up all the things we like (ice cream, pepsi) hoping that it will help to keep the cancer beast away but it is a crap shoot. Cancer has no favorites or boundaries and we just have to pray that they figure it completely out and stop it dead in its tracks someday. I think that day is coming but to say that stress or sugar or whatever causes cancer, who knows. If anyone really knew we would be closer to a cure. Remember this is my personal opinion. That being said I will still try to avoid stress in my life and be better about my diet and hope that it is PROVEN to be linked. How does a pathologist measure stress? It doesn't show up in blood work so how can they really say that. It is just a known fact that stress is bad for everyone. Think about it, as we were all growing up, did we not hear all that time that this and that causes cancer. I was scared of everything cause all I would hear on the news was this and that was linked to cancer. My mom is 87 years old and healthy as a horse. She still takes care of her yard and it looks like it is professional landscaped. She didn't have bottled water, she had a well. She grew up on lard and had a out house. Talk about germs. So where does it end? Who knows. I just hope I am here when they can truely and honestly say "WE HAVE THE CURE". A full proof cure. God bless you all. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
CoolBreeze

I certainly didn't mean to mock anybody, I was responding to the original
article, not anybody here. In fact, I confess to not reading each individual post in this thread.

Perhaps those that take offense so easily do feel more stress though? I say that not to offend, just curious.

Sorry.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
NEDenise

CoolBreeze (Ann),
Thanks, and best of everything tomorrow!
I'll be thinking of you.
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
fauxgypsy

This is not the first time that a discussion of stress and a link to cancer has occurred. It stirred up a lot of feelings last time as well. I teach Nutrition and Anatomy and Physiology and I believe that our eating habits and lifestyle do have an effect on health. I do feel that stress may have played a role in the development of my cancer but that doesn't suggest that it has for everyone. Life is a crap shoot. The genes you inherit play a role in your health. Environmental toxins that you may not even be aware of can affect you. Diet appears to play a role in several types of cancers. Your choices may also play a role. Cancer is a very complex disease with many things affecting it. I spoke with a researcher at the AACR a few years ago and he said that the volume of research into the mechanics of cancer is so vast that no one person could understand it all. I have no family history of breast cancer, very few risk factors when I was diagnosed, and still here I am. With so many possible causes for cancer, what may have helped mine develop may not have had an effect on yours.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
chemteach

My hair is falling out right now. Stress. It happens when we grow up, and maybe there is a correlation. I tend to think that cancer happens, but we increase our chances often unknowingly just by breathing and eating and celebrating more birthdays. I am no different than any of you with few risk factors and no family history, so what caused this? I met a friend who told me it was in my left breast because I was holding a grudge against my mother or sisters. Had it been in my right breast, I must have been holding a grudge against a best girl friend, or maybe she said enemy. I wasn't listening anymore.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote