HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #19
marymary

History Will Be Kind to Me

I am starting to feel like something of a success story since my diagnosis in April of 2002. My cancer was quite advanced at diagnosis. I had a huge tumor and mets to skin. Three rounds of A/C, although helpful, did not stop the growth of the skin mets, so an "emergency" mastectomy was called for. The surgeon removed so much skin I avoided standing up straight for months, if not years. A week after surgery, I began Taxotere. Approximately one month later, a FISH was performed and it was finally discovered that I was strongly HER2 positive. I had a year of Herceptin added to the 6 months of Taxotere. I expected to die. The surgeon told my husband that she had seen patients like me last three months or so. I had radiation (lots!). All scans were clear, however. Finally, they were done with me and sent me home (to do what?) and then I really started feeling hysterical.

I was about 43 at this time and the doctor proclaimed that I was in menopause for good. Privately I thought he was wrong. In the spring of '03 I began to feel a little more bright eyed and sure enough, menopause appeared to be just that, a pause. I took a deep breath and had an oopherectomy. I was fighting with every tool at my disposal. Now, I was eligible for Arimidex which I was hearing wonderful things about through the grapevine. My doctor was nonchalant and said I could "do what you want." I wanted Arimidex.

Support groups were my lifesaver. I have made some wonderful, amazing, life long friends there. I began to do some travelling since my days were numbered. Tick, tick, tick went the clock. It was like a bad Peter Pan book.

Last year, in the spring of '05, I was diagnosed with two small brain metastases. Basically, this remains a supposition since they were never able to be biopsied and I had no baseline brain MRI. My oncologist would not give me Herceptin so at that time I changed my care over to Dr. Park at UCSF. I had gamma knife, and have been on weekly Herceptin ever since. I like to be aggressive. I want to make my own decisions. After all, I am the one that must live (or not!) with the consequences.

Last month I received my first vaccine at the University of Washington. I have two more vaccines to go. I am really excited about the work that is being done in Washington.

So, in summary, I was "supposed" to die approximately 4 years ago. This coming April I will be a 5 year survivor. Currently my disease is considered stable. My body is clear. The only brain lesion still visible is most likely necrotic, and continues to wither away.

I am trying to stay ahead of the curve scientifically. Herceptin, Arimidex, Taxotere, oopherectomy, Gamma Knife and now a HER II neu vaccine (who would have thought!) are all tools that I am using to fight. I do expect to die some day, but today is rather inconvenient. I have a trip to Seattle to plan, my Nephew's wedding to attend and a beautiful new copper brown embroidered and beaded dress that clings like a peach to my figure hanging in the closet. I need to find shoes to match and today is Farmer's Market. There is broccoli to be bought.

I am counting on everyone at the wedding whispering to my brother "that's your sick sister? No ****** way!"

Mary

"History will be kind to me or I intend to write it" Winston Churchill
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote