HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Sandy H

Sad weekend!

I am sad this Holiday weekend as my husband and I were going to move into our new camp that we have been looking forward to doing for two years now. Today, my husband was driving down the road and our pug who was sitting on his left knee hit the window button and down went the window. He jumped up and fell out the window!! We took him to the vet and he appears to have a spinal cord injury but we don't know who bad yet because of the swelling was unable to x-ray so he is on pain killers and steriods. He will not stand up or walk but the vet said he should just lay around for a few days for the swelling to go down. Seems its a 3 to 4 hour drive to camp on a rough dirt road I opt to stay home and keep him as comfortable as possible. My husband will go without me so he feels bad because he feels its his fault. He made a committment to meet somone up there to work out some camp issues or he would stay home. I just want Yoda to be o.k. as he is so cute and loving. His our baby only 11 months old. I just had to vent to my whole family on this board. hugs to you all for a wonderful weekend. Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
chrisy

Cute name.
Our little furry children are definitely part of the family. May the force be with him!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Sherryg683

Oh, I love pugs! I had one named Pugsley for 16 years. He was my baby, they are such good sweet dogs. When Pugsley was a puppy he jumped out of my arms and hit his head on the side of a cement curve. He immediately had an epileptic seizure. We rushed him to the vet and the vet said that he would probably have more of these seizures and one would probably kill him. He did have seizures on and off during his 16 years but the made it through all of them. They are tough little dogs, here's hoping Yoda will make it through his accident and be good as new...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Tom

Wink

Dear Sandy,

I know how heartsick you are over this tragedy, but there is reason for hope. Your little Pug's age is his best hope. They, like children, are very resilient. The fact that you went to the vet right away and started him on steroids was the best possible thing you could have done. Hopefully the damaging swelling has been minimized and stopped in its tracks, and Yoda will make a full recovery. Those steroids are amazing when used correctly.

My 64 year old cousin and I were involved in a boat accident years ago. He seemed fine afterwards, and chose to drive home the same day. Unknown to anyone, was the fact that he was slowly bleeding into his brain from a broken blood vessel. He passed out at the wheel, flipped his car 5 times, and was ejected onto the road. He suffered a broken back and neck, on top of the already severe brain hemorrhage. He was taken to the hospital immediately, and given Decadron to control the swelling around his brain and spinal chord. He was comatose for two long weeks, but finally awoke and went on to eventually recover full function in his legs many months later.

I truly believe that your little friend will recover, and bring you many more years of joy and companionship. Please let us know how he is doing as time passes. I will pray that he recovers soon. After all, he is another one of God's amazing little creations.

Tom

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Lolly

Sandy, I hope your little guy heals up from the accident. Your husband shouldn't beat himself up about this, these things just happen, especially with active "teenagers" like yours. He's lucky to have such a good home. Take good care of him.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
angelwings

dear sandy hope your pug is feeling better now. i can understand your sadness, i was so heartbroken when my 6yr old pug died in an accident last year, right in front of our house. he just across the road and got hit by the oncoming truck... it was such a messy and horrible, till today i cnt forget nor erase it from my memory. my husband had to haul me away from the accident site, aas i was in deep shock. my pug, Boris was like my own kid...
all i can say is to keep faith and pray that he gets well soon
angelwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:08 AM   #7
RhondaH

Yoda

has a WONDERFUL loving mom and will be under the best of care. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:18 AM   #8
Kimberly Lewis

Here's my little prayer added for Yoda! They really add so much to our lives. My pug's name was Yoshi, she survived many incidents and lived a long life. I'm asking yours does too.
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
koolbreeze

OUr pets are so important to us. I am sure your little guy is getting the best treatment and love the doctors and his family can give. I wish him a quick and full recovery. Take care. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Sandy H

Update on Yoda!

Well, here we are this morning just the two of us! My husband left for camp early with tears when he kissed us good by still in bed. Said instead of coming home Monday he thought he would hurry up and do what needs to be done and come home Sunday, then he said Saturday night and when he left he said maybe, Friday night. He knows I am carrying Yoda around and he is 21 pounds that is 15 pounds over the limit for my lymphedema arm but have to do what I have to do take care of the baby! Yoda seems better, still scared, as he has never felt pain like this. He did stand up couple of times and took a few steps once hen laid his butt back down. He seems to be resting comfortable on the floor. I gave him his steriod and he eat a few pieces of food but has not drank only what I have put on his tongue. I have to call the vet to give him an update. I will keep you posted. I loved reading all the posts on all the pugs. My son's girlfriend had one and it got hit by a car at 7 months last Sept. That is how we ended up with ours we missed Bella so much. Our very first dog for us!! hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
Joy

Thinking of you

Oh Sandy, I'm sorry to hear your news. Pets are such a wonderful part of life and I'm sending Yoda, you and your husband healing thoughts.

love,
Joy

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #12
SusanV

Sandy,

I am soo sorry to hear about your puppy. May he heal quickly, and feel better with all of the love and cuddles that you give to him. I lost one of my two golden retrievers in April...to of all things, Cancer. I still have one golden retriever, and he is a great love of my life. I know how important dogs can be. Wishing you all the best.

Love to you and you Dog
ER/PR + (Highly Positive)
Her 2 +++
1.3 & 1.2 tumors right breast
node negative
lumpectomy 8-15-06
A/C Began 9-5-06 Finished A/C 11/6/06
Port Placement 9-15-06
Negative Test for BRAC1 & BRAC2 10-25-06
Began Tamoxofin November 21, 2006
First Herceptin November 27, 2006 Continues every 3 Weeks
First Radiation Treatment December 11, 2006
35 Rads Completed
Final Herceptin Treatment November 12, 2007
Port Removal November 19, 2007
Living Life to the Fullest !!
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #13
marymary

Sounds like he's doing a little better

so encouraging that he can take a few steps! Also, due to his youth I think he still has several more lives left.

I think I know how you must be feeling. The day I came home from the hospital I lost my favorite Papillion. It's too sad a tale to tell here. It doesn't matter how many times I recount the story, that beautiful little dog had a big piece of my heart and it went right with him. When I think about heaven he's always the first thing I see. Sorry, Mom!

I think your baby's gonna make it. He is lucky to have a good Mommy and Daddy. Sounds like he is going to be one pampered pug for the rest of his days.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
rinaina

Being such a dog lover, I feel your pain and sadness over Yoda's unfortunate accident and tell your husband that is exactly what it was...an accident. he shouldn't blame himself. My Shi Tzu has a few degenerated and bulging discs that were diagnosed 2 years ago and at times he has struggled but he is still with us thank goodness. I think Yoda will beat this injury and end up just fine. He is in good hands for sure. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Barbara H.

Go Yoda Go!!!!

Hi Sandy,
It sounds as if Yoda is making progress with his recovery. It's good you are with him because love and TLC go a long way. I still think of the beagle I had for 17 years. Most of those years he spent with my parents because I went away to college and beyond.

We would love to see Yoda. Maybe you can post a picture. Also can you tell us more about this camp? Is it just for you for other residents. This weekend I am not so far away in NH.

Best,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #16
Esther

Sandy, so sorry to hear about Yoda. I'm a big pug lover and just love my 3 pugs Duke, Max, and Didi to pieces, I would be heartbroken if something happened to them.

The way he's reacting so far, I think is reason to hope that he will recover. All my best to the little guy.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Hi Sandy,

I am so sorry to hear about Yoda. I hope your husband doesn't beat himself up over this as it was an unfortunate accident and no fault of his own. I know that is easier said than done though as our pets are often like children to us and we love them just as though they are.

I used to work as veterinarian technician before I became stage "4" and I can tell you that it is great news that Yoda stood up and took a few steps. This means that there is probably no paralysis, I am sure he will be very sore and have some inflammation for a while but hopefully no real lasting damage has been done. Your vet may want to take some X-rays once Yoda isn't in so much pain and the swelling goes down some. Sometimes steroids can cause stomach upset, if this occurs you can try boiling some rice and hamburger or chicken as a bland diet will help to settle his tummy until he can come off of the steroids. I am sure your vet has told you that it is not a good idea to stop steroids suddenly and that Yoda will need to be weaned off of them slowly. You can also try giving him a bowl ice cubes to lick on if he isn't wanting to drink much water right now.

It sounds like you have a good vet and that you are taking wonderful care of Yoda, I am sure a week of pampering and lounging around will have Yoda back to his old self in no time. He has age and a great mommy on his side and all of us praying for a speedy recovering.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Big Hugs & Lots of Love,
Nicola
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
StephN

Unhappy Situations -

- bring out all sorts of talents besides fighting cancer here.
Nicola just had some great suggestions.

Sandy - having seen the photos at San Antonio last December, I KNOW what a cutie Yoda is and how much you loved him from the moment you laid eyes on him.
Life can be SO sweet and sour. First, the great news that you got Tykerb, then this huge worry over your puppy. GIVE US A BREAK, please!

Maybe you can makeshift some sort of way to pull him around on a little rug or something with a rope so you don't have to lift him all the time, except for stairs. Is 21 pounds a bit heavy for a Pug?? (I did have a cat reach 19 pounds!)

Let us know what the vet says, OK?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #19
Sherryg683

Yes, Yoda sounds like quite a chunky little guy at 21 lbs. My pug, Pugsley got nice and fat too. He was hit by a car when he was younger also and it broke one of his legs. He was in that cast and had me carry him everywhere. Even after his leg was healed he would just stand there like "well pick me up". I finally got wise to him. Don't be surprised if Yoda makes you pack him around way after he is healed..lol..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #20
lexigirl

Sandy I hope that Yoda heals up really quickly. You are a good momma to him. Enjoy taking care of your fur baby.

Love,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote