HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
R.B.

Vitamin D thread -Please use this for your Vit D info.

Low vitamin D is a huge issue for lots of reasons.

I will post some links to previous posts later, and if everybody else could do the same that would be great.

"More than half of North American women receiving therapy to treat or prevent osteoporosis have vitamin D inadequacy, underscoring the need for improved physician and public education regarding optimization of vitamin D status in this population."
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...ract/90/6/3215

"These findings show that free-living elderly Europeans, regardless of geographical location, are at substantial risk of inadequate vitamin D status during winter and that dietary enrichment or supplementation with vitamin D should be seriously considered during this season."
http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/ind...&therow=110910

4 must watch videos

Vitamin D Prevents Cancer: Is It True?
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16940

Skin Cancer/Sunscreen - the Dilemma
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=15770

Dose-Response of Vitamin D and a Mechanism for Cancer Prevention
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=15767

Vitamin D & Cardiovascular Disease- New Frontiers for Prevention
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=15772

Last edited by R.B.; 11-28-2010 at 02:45 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Vitamin D thread -Please use this for your Vit D info.

You can also find treatment related info here:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41852

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
R.B.

Vitamin D: what is an adequate vitamin D level and how much supplementation is necessary?

Bischoff-Ferrari H.

Centre on Aging and Mobility, University of Zurich, Department of Rheumatology and Institute of Physical Medicine, Zurich, Switzerland. heike.bischoff@usz.ch

Strong evidence indicates that many or most adults in the United States and Europe would benefit from vitamin D supplements with respect to fracture and fall prevention, and possibly other public health targets, such as cardiovascular health, diabetes and cancer. This review discusses the amount of vitamin D supplementation needed and a desirable 25-hydroxyvitamin D level to be achieved for optimal musculoskeletal health. Vitamin D modulates fracture risk in two ways: by decreasing falls and increasing bone density. Two most recent meta-analyses of double-blind randomised controlled trials came to the conclusion that vitamin D reduces the risk of falls by 19%, the risk of hip fracture by 18% and the risk of any non-vertebral fracture by 20%; however, this benefit was dose dependent. Fall prevention was only observed in a trial of at least 700 IU vitamin D per day, and fracture prevention required a received dose (treatment dose*adherence) of more than 400 IU vitamin D per day. Anti-fall efficacy started with achieved 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels of at least 60 nmol l(-1) (24 ng ml(-1)) and anti-fracture efficacy started with achieved 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels of at least 75 nmol l(-1) (30 ng ml(-1)) and both endpoints improved further with higher achieved 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels. Founded on these evidence-based data derived from the general older population, vitamin D supplementation should be at least 700-1000 IU per day and taken with good adherence to cover the needs for both fall and fracture prevention. Ideally, the target range for 25-hydroxyvitamin D should be at least 75 nmol l(-1), which may need more than 700-1000 IU vitamin D in individuals with severe vitamin D deficiency or those overweight.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
R.B.

Bump

Highly persuasive Videos from UCLA if you have not seen them
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
karen z

Thanks for posting. I am like a broken record with everyone I know about Vit. D. It is hard to convince many folks that they should even be tested. It is clear that some docs out there are not knowledgeable and don't push the issue with patients. Some know about the issue but are not knowledgeable about what would be considered good levels. It is very frustrating.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
StephN

Hi -
And thanks R.B.

I had posted that I was adding more vitamin D in the form of Carlson Ddrops D3. I have the 1000 IU per drop kind. They come in 2000 IU as well.

Well, by taking a drop under my tongue each night after dinner along with a food based calcium pill, my D levels went up quite nicely.

By the 25 Hydroxy lab testing method my

TOTAL Vit D rose to 57.2. Up from low 40's.

That was with little effort and pretty much limiting the sun time this summer since I had treated 2 areas of my face for sun damage last winter.

Just wanted to share that this easy and inexpensive way to supplement for D3 has worked well for me.

These D drops are free of soy, corn, wheat, gluten, and preservatives.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
R.B.

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Joint effects of dietary vitamin D and sun exposure on breast cancer risk: results from the French E3N cohort.

Engel P, Fagherazzi G, Mesrine S, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F.

1Nutrition, Hormones and Cancer, Inserm (Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale) ERI 20, EA 4045, and Institut Gustave Roussy.
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Ecological studies have suggested that vitamin D production through UV solar irradiance could reduce breast cancer (BC) risk. Although studies restricted to dietary vitamin D intake have provided inconsistent results, little is known about the relationship between pre and postmenopausal BC and combined intakes from diet, supplements and sun exposure.

METHODS: Cox proportional hazards regression mvaluated the association between vitamin D intakes, mean daily Ultraviolet Radiation dose (UVRd) at the place of residence and risk of BC among 67,721 women of the French E3N cohort. All analyses were stratified on menopausal status taking into account important confounders including calcium consumption.

RESULTS: During 10 years of follow-up, a total of 2,871 BC cases were diagnosed. Dietary and supplemental vitamin D intakes were not associated with BC risk; however, in regions with the highest UVRd, postmenopausal women with high dietary or supplemental vitamin D intake had a significantly lower BC risk as compared to women with the lowest vitamin D intake (HR = 0.68, 95% CI: 0.54 - 0.85, and HR = 0.55, 95% CI: 0.36 - 0.90 respectively).

CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that a threshold of vitamin D exposure from both sun and diet is required to prevent BC and this threshold is particularly difficult to reach in postmenopausal women at northern latitudes where quality of sunlight is too poor for adequate vitamin D production.Impact:Prospective studies should further investigate associations between BC risk, vitamin D status and sunlight exposure.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
R.B.

J Epidemiol. 2010 Dec 11. [Epub ahead of print]
Vitamin D Decreases Risk of Breast Cancer in Premenopausal Women of Normal Weight in Subtropical Taiwan.

Lee MS, Huang YC, Wahlqvist ML, Wu TY, Chou YC, Wu MH, Yu JC, Sun CA.

School of Public Health, National Defense Medical Center.
Abstract

Background: Evidence for an association between vitamin D status and breast cancer is now more convincing, but is uncertain in subtropical areas like Taiwan. This hospital-based case-control study examined the relationship of breast cancer with vitamin D intake and sunlight exposure.Methods: A total of 200 incident breast cancer cases in a Taipei hospital were matched with 200 controls by date of interview and menopausal status. Information on risk factors for breast cancer was collected in face-to-face interviews and assessed with reference to vitamin D intake (foods and nutrients) and sunlight exposure. Vitamin D intake was divided into quartiles, and threshold effect was evaluated by comparing Q2-Q4 with Q1.Results: After controlling for age, education, parity, hormone replacement therapy, body mass index (BMI), energy intake, menopausal status, and daily sunlight exposure, the risk of breast cancer in participants with a dietary vitamin D intake greater than 5 µg per day was significantly lower (odds ratio [OR], 0.48; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.24-0.97) than that of participants with an intake less than 2 µg per day. In analysis stratified by menopausal status and BMI, both dietary vitamin D and total vitamin D intakes were associated with a protective effect among premenopausal women. There was a significant linear trend for breast cancer risk and dietary vitamin D intake in premenopausal women (P = 0.02). In participants with a BMI lower than 24 kg/m(2) (ie, normal weight), dietary vitamin D intake was inversely related to breast cancer risk (P for trend = 0.002), and a threshold effect was apparent (Q2-Q4 vs Q1: OR, 0.46; 95% CI, 0.23-0.90).Conclusions: Vitamin D had a protective effect against breast cancer in premenopausal women of normal weight in subtropical Taiwan, especially an intake greater than 5 µg per day.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Jackie07

WebMD's new article on Calcium rich foods mentions Vitamin D:

Top Food Sources for Calcium and Vitamin D

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calcium-fo...calcium?page=1

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-28-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Jackie07

One more benefit of Vitamin D:

By Todd Neale, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: April 11, 2011
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and
Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

Vitamin D Again Tied to Lower AMD Risk

Higher levels of circulating vitamin D appear to reduce the risk for early onset of age-related macular degeneration in women ages 50 to 74, an ancillary study of the Women's Health Initiative showed.

Among postmenopausal women younger than 75, those who had the highest concentrations of 25 (OH)D (at least 75 nmol/L) were significantly less likely to develop the eye condition than those with the lowest (38 nmol/L or lower), according to Amy Millen, PhD, of the University at Buffalo in New York, and colleagues.

The odds ratio was 0.52 (95% CI 0.29 to 0.91) after adjustment for age, smoking, iris pigmentation, family history of age-related macular degeneration, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and hormone therapy use, the researchers reported in the April issue of Archives of Ophthalmology.

Further adjustment for body mass index and physical activity, however, rendered the association nonsignificant, likely because of the strong correlation between those two factors and vitamin D status, Millen and her colleagues wrote.

"More studies are needed to verify this association prospectively as well as to better understand the potential interaction between vitamin D status and genetic and lifestyle factors with respect to risk of early age-related macular degeneration," they wrote.
The findings confirm the strong inverse relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and early age-related macular degeneration found using data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
Millen and her colleagues looked at data from the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study (CAREDS), which was conducted under the umbrella of the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. In CAREDS, age-related macular degeneration status was assessed an average of six years after serum samples were analyzed for 25(OH)D status.
The current analysis included 1,313 women ages 50 to 79. Overall, 241 women developed early age-related macular degeneration and 26 developed advanced disease.
The median serum 25 (OH)D level was 30 nmol/L in the lowest quintile and 85 nmol/L in the highest.
In a multivariate analysis of women of all ages, there was no significant relationship between early age-related macular degeneration and 25(OH)D concentration (OR for the highest versus the lowest quintile 0.79, 95% CI 0.50 to 1.24).
There was, however, a significant interaction with age (P=0.002), which suggested a selective mortality bias in women 75 and older, according to the researchers.
Although there was a decrease in the odds of early age-related macular degeneration with increasing 25(OH)D levels in women younger than 75, there was a nonsignificant trend in the opposite direction for older women (OR 1.76, 95% CI 0.77 to 4.13).
Further adjustment for BMI and recreational physical activity, however, weakened both associations.
Also in women younger than 75, increased intake of vitamin D from foods and supplements combined was associated with lower odds of early age-related macular degeneration -- consuming at least 18µg/day was associated with 59% lower odds of developing the condition (OR 0.41, 95% CI 0.20 to 0.78).
The authors noted that that level of intake equals 720 IU/day, which exceeds to Institute of Medicine's recommendation for 600 IU/day.
There was not association between time spent in direct sunlight and the likelihood of developing macular degeneration.
Millen and her colleagues acknowledged some limitations of the study, including the inability to establish causality using an observational study, the limited generalizability beyond postmenopausal white women, possible selection bias, and the lack of information on genetic risk factors for age-related macular degeneration.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-12-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
R.B.

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011 Apr;20(4):717.
The Association between Prognostic Demographic and Tumor Characteristics of Breast Carcinomas with Serum 25-OH Vitamin D Levels.
Peppone L, Rickles A, Huston A, Sprod L, Hicks D, Mustian K, Skinner K.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Epidemiologic studies show that women with low 25-OH vitamin D levels have an increased risk of breast cancer incidence and mortality. However, there is a lack of research examining vitamin D levels and prognostic variables in breast cancer patients. The aim of this study is to identify the associations between 25-OH vitamin D levels, demographic variables, and prognostic pathological and genetic characteristics of breast cancers.
METHOD:

This study cohort consists of 155 women who underwent breast cancer surgery at the University of Rochester between 1/2009 and 9/2010. Vitamin D levels were obtained in the 1-year period before and after surgery (74% of vitamin D levels within 6 months). Prognostic variables included age, race, menopausal status, Oncotype DX score, TNM staging, ER/PR status, and HER2 expression. ANCOVA, linear regression, and logistic regression were used to determine the association between prognostic variables and 25-OH vitamin D levels, while controlling for relevant covariates (age, race, and month of blood draw).
RESULTS:

Non-Caucasian (OR = 3.8; P < 0.01) and premenopausal (OR = 3.5; P < 0.01) breast cancer patients were significantly more likely to have suboptimal 25-OH vitamin D levels than Caucasian and postmenopausal patients, respectively. Women with invasive breast tumors were more likely to have suboptimal vitamin D levels (invasive OR = 2.4; P = 0.10) and lower mean 25-OH vitamin D levels (invasive: 30.5 ng/mL vs. in situ: 36.9 ng/mL; P = 0.04). A significant correlation (r = -0.42; P = 0.04) between decreasing vitamin D levels and increasing Oncotype score was noted. Breast cancer patients who had ER- and triple-negative breast tumors were more likely to have suboptimal levels of 25-OH vitamin D (ER-OR = 2.4; P = 0.07; triple-negative OR = 2.6; P = 0.09).
CONCLUSIONS:

Breast cancer patients with suboptimal vitamin D levels were more likely to have tumors with more aggressive tumor profiles, worse prognostic markers (ER- and triple-negative tumors), and higher recurrence risk (Oncotype scores), lending support to previous research that found decreased breast cancer survival among vitamin D deficient individuals. Further research is needed to elucidate the biological relationship between vitamin D and prognostic breast cancer markers.

PMID:
[PubMed - in process]
Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
R.B.

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 May;127(1):171-7. Epub 2011 Mar 8.
The effect of various vitamin D supplementation regimens in breast cancer patients.
Peppone LJ, Huston AJ, Reid ME, Rosier RN, Zakharia Y, Trump DL, Mustian KM, Janelsins MC, Purnell JQ, Morrow GR.
Source

Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 704, Rochester, NY, 14642, USA, luke_peppone@urmc.rochester.edu.
Abstract

Vitamin D deficiency in the patients treated for breast cancer is associated with numerous adverse effects (bone loss, arthralgia, and falls). The first aim of this study was to assess vitamin D status, determined by 25-OH vitamin D levels, among women diagnosed with breast cancer according to demographic/clinical variables and bone mineral density (BMD). The second aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of daily low-dose and weekly high-dose vitamin D supplementation on 25-OH vitamin D levels. This retrospective study included 224 women diagnosed with stage 0-III breast cancer who received treatment at the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center at the University of Rochester Medical Center. Total 25-OH vitamin D levels (D(2) + D(3)) were determined at baseline for all participants. Vitamin D deficiency was defined as a 25-OH vitamin D level < 20 ng/ml, insufficiency as 20-31 ng/ml, and sufficiency as ≥32 ng/ml. BMD was assessed during the period between 3 months before and 6 months following the baseline vitamin D assessment. Based on the participants' baseline levels, they received either no supplementation, low-dose supplementation (1,000 IU/day), or high-dose supplementation (≥50,000 IU/week), and 25-OH vitamin D was reassessed in the following 8-16 weeks. Approximately 66.5% had deficient/insufficient vitamin D levels at baseline. Deficiency/insufficiency was more common among non-Caucasians, women with later-stage disease, and those who had previously received radiation therapy (P < 0.05). Breast cancer patients with deficient/insufficient 25-OH vitamin D levels had significantly lower lumbar BMD (P = 0.03). Compared to the no-supplementation group, weekly high-dose supplementation significantly increased 25-OH vitamin D levels, while daily low-dose supplementation did not significantly increase levels. Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency were common among women with breast cancer and associated with reduced BMD in the spine. Clinicians should carefully consider vitamin D supplementation regimens when treating vitamin D deficiency/insufficiency in breast cancer patients.

PMID:
[PubMed - in process]
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
R.B.

Pretreatment serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer prognostic characteristics: a case-control and a case-series study.
Yao S, Sucheston LE, Millen AE, Johnson CS, Trump DL, Nesline MK, Davis W, Hong CC, McCann SE, Hwang H, Kulkarni S, Edge SB, O'Connor TL, Ambrosone CB.
Source

Department of Cancer Prevention and Control, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, United States of America. song.yao@roswellpark.org
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Results from epidemiologic studies on the relationship between vitamin D and breast cancer risk are inconclusive. It is possible that vitamin D may be effective in reducing risk only of specific subtypes due to disease heterogeneity.
METHODS AND FINDINGS:

In case-control and case-series analyses, we examined serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) in relation to breast cancer prognostic characteristics, including histologic grade, estrogen receptor (ER), and molecular subtypes defined by ER, progesterone receptor (PR) and HER2, among 579 women with incident breast cancer and 574 controls matched on age and time of blood draw enrolled in the Roswell Park Cancer Institute from 2003 to 2008. We found that breast cancer cases had significantly lower 25OHD concentrations than controls (adjusted mean, 22.8 versus 26.2 ng/mL, p<0.001). Among premenopausal women, 25OHD concentrations were lower in those with high- versus low-grade tumors, and ER negative versus ER positive tumors (p≤0.03). Levels were lowest among women with triple-negative cancer (17.5 ng/mL), significantly different from those with luminal A cancer (24.5 ng/mL, p = 0.002). In case-control analyses, premenopausal women with 25OHD concentrations above the median had significantly lower odds of having triple-negative cancer (OR = 0.21, 95% CI = 0.08-0.53) than those with levels below the median; and every 10 ng/mL increase in serum 25OHD concentrations was associated with a 64% lower odds of having triple-negative cancer (OR = 0.36, 95% CI = 0.22-0.56). The differential associations by tumor subtypes among premenopausal women were confirmed in case-series analyses.
CONCLUSION:

In our analyses, higher serum levels of 25OHD were associated with reduced risk of breast cancer, with associations strongest for high grade, ER negative or triple negative cancers in premenopausal women. With further confirmation in large prospective studies, these findings could warrant vitamin D supplementation for reducing breast cancer risk, particularly those with poor prognostic characteristics among premenopausal women.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
Lincoln

Vitamin D is as important as other vitamins but the vitamin D is not used commonly by the people... People are just conscious about the vitamins A & B.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #15
TanyaRD

Good point Conway. Unfortunately, it is estimated that 90% of American's a not getting sufficient amounts of Vitamin D from the sun or food. There are many factors in this fact ranging from limited seasonal exposure to the sun, use of sunscreen and even skin pigmentation differences. If possible it is best to have Vitamin D levels tested and supplement accordingly-plus trying to get at least 15 minutes of sun and some good, high calcium/vit D food sources daily.

Registered Dietitian
Board Certified Specialist in Oncology Nutrition
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
Jackie07

Just took my first 50,000 UNT Capsule Vitamin D last night. The oncologist nurse called me yesterday and told me that besides the antibiotics I was getting for the UTI, a prescription of Vitamin D had also been written by my oncologist. It'd been more than a week since my blood draw and a whole week since the urine sample, wondered why it had been taking so long.

I was brought up in the semi-tropical Island of Taiwan. Migrated to Sunny Texas in 1984. Felt a little bit 'insulted' to be found deficient in Vitamin D. But I guess curling in the couch for almost three years will do it. Fellow BC survivors be aware!

Hopeful had put this link in another thread. Thought I'd listed it here. My onco has put me on 50,000 UNT Capsule weekly for 6 weeks and than monthly for 4 months.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-10-2...egnant-women/5

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-22-2011 at 04:53 PM..
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Jackie07
This message has been deleted by Jackie07.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Jackie07

WebMD just posted a slide show about Vitamin D:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/sl...wnl_dab_052211

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
pibikay

Hello I just stunbled on this thread and went to the webmed link.Just a point is okra a good souce for Vitamin D.As vegetarians are options are limited.
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
Jackie07

Found this old thread where many members had shared their stories/opinion/information of Vitamin D:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...592#post192592

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #20
Jackie07

Bones, Vitamin D, and Osteoporosis videos

Some very short (compared to the four 'must watch videos' listed on the first posting by R. B.) videos on the subjects of bones, Vitamin D, and osteoporosis:

http://www.webmd.com/video/siris-ost...wnl_hbn_053011

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-30-2011 at 04:27 PM..