HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Cat

too many odd things

I hesitate to write this as I am not one to ask for help but I am feeling so lost lately.
I had my first scan floowing the start of kadcyla june 13 and first ever brain scan mostly because of instinct. The CT scan came back with a small decrease in kidney met and I've had obvious improvement with abdominal issues so even though I'd hoped it gone I am satisfied with that. My MRI however showed 2 areas that looked like it is on the the meninges of the cerebellum, larger on the right than left. When my onc looked at it he said he was not convinced it was cancer and sent me to a neurologist who agreed it was "different". He sent me for a higher resolution MRI that showed it actually on the surface of the cerebellum but not invading it, thus no symptoms from pressure etc. Bandlike rather than mass you would expect. He said to see radiation onc and neurosurgeon. Able to see radiation that same day, (they know me and got me in) I have some great, understanding doctors. He and his partner both said it doesn't look like mets but no one knows what it could be or won't say. I couldn't get in to see neurosurgeon till Mon. so I am carrying this all around with me and one minute feeling very positive about it the next minute reminding myself none of my mets have been"typical" breast cancer mets so maybe this is my way to brain mets too. Then thinking if it is cancer this is all taking so long will it grow too big to treat easily? I'm guessing I'll have to do a biopsy but I keep hoping he looks at scans and says I've seen this before and it's nothing. In any case, I have always been very positive about my treatments and confident to carry on but right now I'm torn between crawling in a corner for the next few weeks or punching something because under it all I am so pissed off (hope I didn't offend anyone, sorry if I did, I'm usually not like that). Boy do I see people pleasing in that last statement...
Anyway I am so tired of putting my family through this including my sister whom I am very close to and lost her son my dear nephew 2 years ago and has the loss of a loved one still fresh and raw. And most especially my dear husband and kids. I cry as I write this for them and their lives that revolve so much around my garbage. I am not depressed but I have so many emotions going on right now I'm not sure I know how to handle them. I talk to God and meditate and I try to deep breathe but sometime there just ain't enough deep breathing possible! I have always been one to carefully check how deep the water then jump without hesitation. I like to decide and do and I'm being held back.

Thank you for listening I feel better for having written this so I am very grateful to have this forum, Christine and all the people that made it possible for me to vent to.
Hugs to all,
Cathy
bilat mastectomy w/TRAM
32 rads
9/08 recurrance 4 sternal nodes
mediastinoscopy, able to remove 3
taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, x6
continue herceptin indefinately
5/10 recurrance in same node/area
mediastinoscopy, removed nodes
added tykerb
27 rads
10/18/10 PET shows inflammation no active disease
8/2011 recurrence one right mediastinal node, xeloda and proton radiation to node.
D/C xeloda due to toxicity
12/5 PET scan clear
2/2012 colon blockage, breast cancer
(never thought it could go there! thought I was constipated)
start abraxane, herceptin, continue tykerb
10/2012 Kidney ablation (renal CA!)
3/2013 CT and biopsy R kidney (BC met to R kidney)
4/4/2013 Begin Kadcyla
7/30/13 Craniotomy cerebellar mets, 1.7cm 3cm
Sept 4-6 post op cyberknife
Sept 23 ablation right kidney (blow up pesky breast ca met)
Oct headaches MRI Oct 10 (only surgical changes ! Yay!)
Short of breath. CT, pulmonary function, echo
New crap in right lung heart good. Pooh!
12/13 DC kadcyla. Begin halaven
2/14 MRI brain NED Yay!
4/3/14 CT mostly stable but breast mets r kidney growing
4/16/14 ablation right kidney again
Continue halaven, tykerb
dc halaven gemzar?
2nd opinion May 14
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
vballmom

Re: too many odd things

Cathy, my heart aches for you. I hate what this wretched disease does to us and especially our loved ones. Praying that what they are seeing is truly nothing to worry about.
vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
yanyan

Hi Cat.. Sorry to hear about what you are going through! I hope this is nothing serious and your doctor may want to " wait and see". If everything is stable then chances are they are nothing serious. Its natural that once we have cancer, we relate every change in our body to cancer. I do the same thing !

I too would rather not have my close ones deal with this but it is impossible to exclude myself from what i am dealing with.. that is just part of me unfortunately. But they are also the reason why we fight this diseases so we can be with them as long as we can.

Sending you hugs ((()))
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
'lizbeth

Oh, stressful . . . and this is your first brain MRI? The issue with MRI is, as the head of breast health surgery put it Monday, specificity. There is so much detail the scans pick up every little things, leading to a high rate of false positives with cancer. Then the surgeons are obligated to follow up to determine is it a malignant or benign condition.

I would suspect that you might be facing a biopsy, but I'm no neurosurgeon.

I hope you receive the answers you need on Monday. It is better to know. I would say that your intuition served you well. Have faith in yourself that you are making good decisions, and have now put yourself in a good position to make the most informed decision about your healthcare.

We are hoping the best possible news for you!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: omission
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
CoolBreeze

Cathy, I'm so sorry and it does sound very stressful. All I can say is it's a good sign your oncologists didn't think it was mets and benign things can happen in the brain too.

If it is the worst, we will be hear for your. Make sure you let us know. But until then, I am thinking positive, maybe just an old bruise or something.

*super big hugs*

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Mandamoo

So very stressful for you. I hope that it is just a "funny" anomaly and nothing worse.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
JennyB

I'm in the strange anomaly camp - here's hoping xx
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Paty

Hugs toyou dear cathy during this stressfull moments. Hoping that results next week will bring the good news. Holding you tightly and praying that everything will be ok.

Love,

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Pamelamary

Will be thinking of you, with all fingers and toes crossed.
Best wishes..... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Bunty

What you are feeling is very understandable, so please don't beat yourself up about it Cathy. It's normal (given the incredible circumstances that occur in many of our lives here) that we have the good and bad days. It sounds like you have a great team of doctors behind you, and I also send hope and hugs that this is nothing serious at all. Keep in touch.
Best wishes
Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
NEDenise

Cathy,
I'm so sorry that all this uncertainty will stress you out for days! So unfair! As if you didn't have enough worries on your plate.

I'll be praying for good news on Monday! And also for you, and the ones you love to find some peace as you wait.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Cat

Thank you all for your support and well wishes. I am in awe at how supportivr you all are in your own times of need. I am doing better mentally today and trying to focus on how I feel pretty good physically. I am trying to live by my fridge magnet " Get on your knees, and thank God youre still on your feet".
I have felt all your hugs and prayers and sending mine to you too.
Cathy
bilat mastectomy w/TRAM
32 rads
added tykerb
27 rads
8/2011 recurrence one right mediastinal node, xeloda and proton radiation to node.
12/5 PET scan clear
4/4/2013 Begin Kadcyla
2/14 MRI brain NED Yay!
Continue halaven, tykerb
dc halaven gemzar?
2nd opinion May 14
Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
ElaineM

Wink Re: too many odd things

I know it is hard . Try to stay positive until you know for sure what is or isn't going on.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
SusanN

I'm so glad you were able to write out how you were feeling and share...truly this is tough stuff to face...so thankful we have eachother!!
Know I'm sending prayers your way!! Huge Hugs!!
1/4/13 Rexcision, NO CLEAR MARGINS!! :(
2/11/13 Mastectomy with Expander Placed
2/15/13 INFECTION at Mastectomy site...emergency Surgery!!! Expander removed :(
DX: DCIS, IDC, Stage 2a, 2.7cm, 1/5 nodes positive
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
4/1/13 Begin 6 Cycles TCH Therapy
4/1/14 Finished Herceptin!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
Cat

So I saw the neuro surgeon today and even though my brain thingys don't look like normal rounded mets, (they are band laying on the outer edges of the cerebellum, 2 of them) he can't imagine they aren't mets and in light of having kidney cancer he posed the possibility that they could be kidney mets which don't respond well to radiation. My best option is surgery to take them out and bioposy to know what we are looking at because I guess post treatment would be different too.
I have had 3 people tell me how good he is and I'm in good hands and I also feel comfortable with him. Instinct tells me he is good and I like him. My biggest fear is the after treatment. He said I may have balance issues which should be temporary and I'll be on the dreaded steroids. He had me start them since I have been getting headaches and I'm going on vacation Fri. (come hell or high water) returning Wed. and surgery on the 30th. There is something about going into the brain that is mind boggling but I know I'm not the first so I've measured how deep the water is and I guess I'll jump.
Please say a couple prayers and thank you for being there. Thinking positive and happy there is a plan.
Cathy
bilat mastectomy w/TRAM
32 rads
added tykerb
27 rads
12/5 PET scan clear
4/4/2013 Begin Kadcyla
2/14 MRI brain NED Yay!
Continue halaven, tykerb
dc halaven gemzar?
2nd opinion May 14
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
'lizbeth

Cat,

I'm very happy you saw the neurosurgeon and now have a plan.

So . . . brain surgery, wow. Sounds crazy, but there are a lot of experienced cancer survivors out there who have spent time with the neurosurgeon. I hope they could tell you the experience wasn't as bad as they thought it would be.

I pray that this neurosurgeon turns out to be amazing and your little mysterious spots turn out to be something benign, completely harmless, and nothing more than interesting conversation pieces.

Enjoy your vacation. You've earned one!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-15-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote