HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Lani

can people chime in as to what insurance companies they have and what troubles

they do/ don't have getting them to cover IV meds, oral meds, scans, MRIs etc

In light of blue shield of California's decision to stop covering avastin for breat cancer, gathering this information and dispersing it seems all the more essential.

Let's try to make a paper trail so those whose employers offer a smorgasbord of insurance choices or a change of insurance in January can have a feel for which insurance companies have been naughty or nice!

May be a great way to try to get some accountability/ compare what is usually difficult to compare.

May help get companies to cover oral meds like lapatinib when they realize what their competitors do/don't do. I know it might depend on which of thousands of different policy types of any one insurance company one might have, but still thought this might be useful.

Having great info doesn't help if you can't get insurance company to pay for
treatment...

Thanks in advance to all who contribute.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Laurel

Re: can people chime in as to what insurance companies they have and what troubles

During chemo I had Capital Blue Cross, now we are with Highmark Blue Shield. Captital B.C. was wonderful. They even permitted Curascript to mail me 2 neulasta injections per month to my home to be kept in my refrigerator until needed after each round of chemo. Those cost 3k per injection. I self administered them and I guess they felt I saved a trip back to the infusion room, so cost them less. I was denied nothing during treatment and my reconstruction. Thus far Highmark has been ok, too. I am in Pennsylvania.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
hutchibk

Re: can people chime in as to what insurance companies they have and what troubles

The first half of my treatments (3 years) I was on Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, PPO. They were stellar and covered everything except Tykerb, as it fell under prescription and not medical chemo. GSK provided it for next to free to me once I completed the financial hardship paperwork. I never had any problem with BCBS beyond that.

The second half of my treatments (the last 4 years), I have been on Medicare. Within 4 months of being enrolled, my imaging center was denied payment for two brain MRIs, which I subsequently had to negotiate to pay the imaging center for a percentage of. In more recent years, my radiation oncologist has been denied payment for approximately 1/3 of the treatments he has given me for the 6 brain mets that he treated. After the 4 appeal limit, they stuck to their guns and said he essentially "overtreated me" with more fractions than their published guidelines call for, and flat out denied paying him. I am not to be held responsible for the unpaid amount. Who do you think I trust, my physicist radiation oncologist or cost ratio Medicare guidelines? He continues to treat me as he sees fit. I have apologized to him that I made such a grievous error in judgment when I signed on to Medicare as a disability patient.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 10-08-2011 at 08:55 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Pray

I have had Cigna Health Alliance Plan (HAP) PPO. It has covered everything so far including 4 reconstruction surgeries (so far). We have been very happy with it, we do have to pay $2000 in deduct. and $2000. in copays for each year.

Unfortunately My Husbands work is switching to Blue Cross Blue Shield next year! We are very worried what they will cover.
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
BonnieR

Pray, my husband's big national employer has a plan through BC/BS of Illinois. They have been wonderful, never denied anything. Even covered the Oncotype test. Of course every plan is different depending on the deal arranged between the employer and the insurer. I hope yours turns out favorably.
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
pibikay

Thumbs down Re: can people chime in as to what insurance companies they have and what troubles

I wish we have some options here.I have New India Assurances's mediclaim.Only later we came to know it covers only hospitalisation.So tykerb and xeloda are out.There are no companies here accepting fresh policies for cancer survivors.If any one in this group has any link with any insurance in India which accepts such policies we will be very very gratefull
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
sarah

Here in France, the sicker you are the more the coverage, if you have cancer, everything for it is paid for 100% including taxis to treatment and all prescriptions, physical therapy, etc. However trials are a little different and I'm not sure what outside of the trial is covered. As long as my oncologist felt I needed Herceptin and Femara, I got it and he consulted me about going off it. We decided together and I delayed going off it for over 1 year. I get a Petscan and numerous other tests free every year. We pay into the universal health system as does everyone in France. We all love it!!! no hassles. It's considered a right in France not a luxury.
It pains me when I hear people fighting about their insurance and reminds me when I was diagnosed the first time and I called my excellent Californian health insure provider to let them know, I ended up in tears and hysterical and my husband forbade me to ever speak to them again and jsut asked me to tell what doctors I wanted and which hospital and he fought the fight. I believe it cost us out of pocket an extra $20,000. luckily we were both working back then and it didn't totally cripple us. It's not the reason we moved to France - I was told I was cured!!! but since I did get sick again, I'm really glad I was here and the hospitals are clean, the nurses so sweet, you are really indulged - they have people come around and give you massages, manicures, make-up and psychologists and nutritionists if you want it and being France you're offered wine with meals!!! I told them I didn't think it went with chemo!!!
oh and the cost to the French government is half what the US government pays out for medical costs!!! interesting, n'est-ce pas??? People rarely go to the emergency ward here - only in traffic accidents etc. You pay a GP 22 euro (about $29) per visit and you get back 16 euro if you're in the system. So the GP treats most problems instead of you having to rush off to emergency. My oncologist (world renown, speaks at ASCO, etc) I pay 80 euro and get back 40.
Americans pay less in taxes, the French pay more but their health system is fairer, their roads and trains are great, so it's a question of priorities and lifestyle.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
sarah

Remember the US Health Insurance companies are in business to make money and honestly if you're too ill, they'd just as soon you died.
In France, the health system is only there to keep you well, not to make a profit.
That's why there's a top limit in what the US health insurers are willing to pay, yes it's high but.....
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
rhondalea

I don't have much to report, because I'm new at this, but as usual, it will be a long post anyway because I can't seem to shut up.

Up until the end of August, we were covered by UnitedHealthCare, which paid for the following:

Full payment for all testing requested by my doctors (but none of it was unusual). Full payment for surgery (bilateral mastectomy, even though only one breast had cancer). Noteworthy is that I was given a private room, and they paid it in full (three times the cost of the surgery itself), but then again, I was only in the hospital for one night.

Three doses of Neulasta @$20/dose, all mailed to me for self-injection at my request. (CINJ required that I come in the next day for the first dose.)

Four or five visits from the visiting nurse (can't remember exactly, and all but one visit has disappeared from my calendar). I'm pretty sure she came to see me four times after the mastectomy to check on how I was doing, and then she was required to supervise me for the first Neulasta shot I gave myself at home.

For the month of August, I was also covered by Empire BC/BS, but none of that month's claims were submitted to them. (My husband changed jobs, his old employer terminated coverage on 7/29, not 7/31, and the new cards came late in the month, so I COBRA'd UHC for one month and two days, because I didn't want to deal with all the paper it would have entailed otherwise.

Since then, Empire seems to be paying all claims submitted, and prescription copays are slightly less expensive so far, but when I needed an inhaler on the spur of the moment (for Taxol reaction), they declined to pay because they considered it maintenance and wanted it sent to Caremark. My internist had also prescribed an inhaler for exercise-induced asthma (which I'd lost somewhere in the house because I wasn't using it, or there'd have been no need for the new one), and a non-existent relationship was assumed. I could've argued--and I will eventually ask about it--but the pharmacy's discount ended up being the same as the normal UHC copay for albuterol ($40), so I didn't bother.

I will report further if there are issues or if Empire goes above and beyond the call of duty.
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Pray

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you for your post! I do hope I'm as fortunate as you have been on BC BS! We are hoping to get the packages and prices soon so as to go over them all and get the best deal.

You are good to me and I appreciate you so!

Your Friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
NEDenise

Hi all!
Like Rhonda, I'm relatively new to the whole survivor thing, but so far BC/BS (Personal Choice PPO) has paid for everything. I do have to pay a co-pay when I see the onc, but nothing for tests, infusion, bloodwork.
Not sure what the copay will be for surgery this time, but last time, I think it was $75. May be different this time because I'm an in-patient, not an out-patient.
They also sent my neulasta injections by special messenger to my home each time for self injection.
I've been very happy so far...hope the good feelings continue!
Good thread, Lani!
Stay Strong Everyone!
Denise
PS- just remembered... my BC/BS does pay for bras, but does not pay for wigs
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Sheila

I have BC BS of Illinois PPO through my husband, and my hospital is a PPO. I have never paid for chemo, hospital bills including surgery, or oncology visits. We do have a higher deductible this year than we have ever had, but still they have been great. They paid for mastectomy bras, prosthesis, swim suits, swim prosthesis, yearly wigs and lymphedema sleeves every 3 months. They truly have been a godsend, without having the added stress of medical bills.

Our prescription plan is not so good. Neulasta shots are rationed and sent the day I need them, as are Neupogen...they cost me 30.00 ea. Trying to get prescriptions filled is somewhat of a nightmare...this is all new since the company switched to Curascripts....we never had this problem with Caremark....although I did have a time with them getting Tykerb.

My sister has BC BS of IL PPO also and hers would not cover Cranial Prosthesis (Wigs) but she has no copay on the Neulasta. All in all, I think the insurance we have through BC BS of IL is phenomenal...considering the thousands of dollars a month that my bills add up to....I am well over the 3 million dollar mark in 10 years...truly feel blessed that my husbands insurance is so good. They told me as long as I continue to use a PPO provider, there is no lifetime maximum. Good thing, because I plan to be around for a lot longer!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
Jackie07

My husband made a mistake listening to a clerk (on the phone) assuring him that we were covered by the new plan with our hospital. So hubby refused to pay our Dec. premium to BCBS - he and I actually had a 'battle' in between our living room and the driveway where the mailbox is located. We ended up owing $5000 just for that month.

I've set up a auto-draft monthly payment plan for the amount we owe. Yesterday I contacted the health plan to see if there is a 'lum-sum' discout if we just pay it off. To my surprise I was told there's another $4000.00 + bill from 2007 when BCBS and my hospital health plan severed their partnership.

"Sixteen tons and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go – I owe my soul to the company store…” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joo90ZWrUkU

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-07-2011 at 11:43 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
BonnieR

Jackie, I can identify with you. We got long term care insurance when it was first offered by my husband's company at a good rate. Recently, I commented on how pleased I was to have it since we have no children or nearby family. Especially since getting cancer. Well, he tells me he cancelled it because of cost! I was furious that he did not consult with me. Turns out we DO still have it because I guess he failed to cancel properly. lol
He is a dear man and is the most supportive spouse one could ever want. But he has his lapses....

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
Soccermom

No problems...NO insurance! :0
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #16
Lori R

This is a very insightful thread and I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I have continued to work full time (a very supportive company and manager) and do so because I am the primary insurance provider for my family.

I work for a corporation that is self funded and uses Cigna to manage their claims. My insurance has been wonderful.

While I must pay the $2500 a year deductible, that is my most significant expense. I believe that is reasonable as I have been on herceptin for 4 years and have had multiple surgeries. Much to my surprise, insurance has covered new breast forms, bras, and a wig a year.

When my onc suggested a Herceptin+Tykerb regime, I was concerned. Although insurance denied, my Dr. quickly appealed and insurance subsequently approved. I was able to receive the drugs within 3 weeks.

So....I have every incentive to stay active, upbeat and continue to work.
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
chekmark

I have great insurance. I have $150.00 deductible and then everything is paid at 100%. Since this has all started I have paid around $220.00 - $250.00 out of pocket with my $10.00 copay and deductible. I have Medical Mutual of Ohio. My reconstruction was approved immediatley and also allowing augmentation on the other side for symmetry. Haven't had that yet. I pay $5.00 for almost all of my prescriptions. My husband is a teacher and I am so thankful for his great insurance. Before bc I would have my annual mammo and ob gyn appts so I am sure that his insurance company is hating me right now. I have never had to call them about anything, it has all been taken care of. One less stress for me. Now the big question, did all the treatment they paid for work? Time will tell. Good luck everyone and god bless. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
anna4969

What a great thread you have started. It is very interesting to know what others have to deal with regarding insurance. I have United Health Care and we have a $8000 yearly out of pocket max that must be met. Yes, I said $8000.00. This Janurary will be our 3rd year of gathering together $8000 dollars to pay for treatments, scans, surgery, etc. Now once we have paid the $8000, everything is covered 100%. But still...They have never given me grief about chemo or surgery or scans, but what they did give me grief about was they would not pay for a wig and when I developed lymphedema this spring they would not pay for a compression sleeve until I pulled out the "Women's Cancer Right Act of 1998" card. Then they paid. I have the DIEP coming up in November and am just waiting and praying that they will not give me any trouble there. Yes, needless to say, it is stressful to have this hanging over our heads nonstop. I am thankful we do have insurance as I would not be here today, I'm sure.
anna4969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Yorkiegirl

Hubby Retired from the Army at the end of 2004 ( I was Dx'd March 2005) and the best thing we ever did was to continue our Military Insurance. We have TriCare and they paid for every thing.Not ever one single problem. My Co Pays are $12.00 and Rx's are either $3.00 or $9.00. We have no deductable at all.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
fauxgypsy

When I was first diagnosed I was put on Mississippi Medicaid through the Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening program. I was self employed and had not been able to get insurance. I was able to get the care I needed. Now I am an employee of the great state of Mississippi and the state plan is administered through Blue Cross. I have been fighting with them for almost a year to get them to pay for a PET scan. At this point I am going to file a complaint with the State Insurance Commission. If I had had this insurance when I first diagnosed I would be deep in debt and probably sick. I haven't been really sick since I was insured through the state but the copays and the denials will eat you alive.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote