HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Midwest Alice

Hot tub/ sauna -lymph nodes

Hi Everyone, Have a Wonderful Saturday!!

My question today is:

I trust my PT but I hope she is wrong about this one. She said I could never get in a hot tub again because I had 14 lymph nodes removed and it would cause swelling.

Is she right?

I am going to rejoin my old gym and they have great hot sauna that is very relaxing.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Becky

It can cause lymphedema (swelling) that would never go away. Of course it may not happen to you but if it does, you have to use a sleave for life. Go onto the Lymphedema Network website for advice and information and then do your homework.

Saunas and hottubs can be a cause of this side effect of lymph node biopsy.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Margerie

Maybe you can wear a sleeve in the hot tub.

I don't go in ours too often, but we only heat it to 100. I keep my left arm out of the water by resting it on the deck. Do the same thing for the occasional hot bath.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
BonnieR

In my research I have found it advisable to avoid hot tubs or any extreme heat. Even very hot or humid weather. And I live in the desert! I don't think wearing a sleeve would protect your lymph system from the temperature. But, as Becky suggested, check out some lymphedema websites and let us know what you find out. Because there is a wonderful spa here that uses natural hot springs I would love to be able to use again. But I think those days are behind me.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10

Last edited by BonnieR; 01-17-2009 at 08:57 AM..
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Midwest Alice

Thanks

Thanks, Awesome is the way I describe my Her2 support group!

I will do some research tonight and report back on what I learn.

Blessings,

Your friend,
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
alicem

I found the following websites that give good information on lymphedema . . .

http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/301/

http://www.lymphnet.org/lymphedemaFA...kReduction.htm

http://www.lymphnet.org/pdfDocs/nlnexercise.pdf

Hope they help.
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Sheila

You also need to be concerned if you have any heart issues or elevated blood pressure....I quit using our hot tub after diagnosis....didnt want any problems...we gave it away to "younger people" who could enjoy it! I have to admit, it was best in the winter with snow falling on you!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Debbie L.

middle ground

Hi Alice,

Good question. There is not a lot of evidence-based research on lymphedema. Historically, lymphedema did not get much attention or recognition, especially in this country. That is changing but like everything - change is gradual. Long before the medical world was paying attention, the NLN (national lymphedema network - lymphnet.org) WAS paying attention and they did amazing work to support those with lymphedema and to push for research. I recognize and appreciate what they did.

However. In an attempt to educate, they published advice and information about lymphedema that was largely anecdotal and not always true. Or more accurately, not always proven with good evidence to be true. Some of those edicts remain, because we (the big societal "we") do love to think that we have answers. Some remain because therapists cling to what they were taught many years ago and they, too, love to think that they have answers. Some of the edicts-without-evidence probably WILL be proven to be accurate. Some will be proven inaccurate.

To further muddy the waters, each arm is different. What reallly sets off my lymphedema may not bother yours at all, and vice versa.

So far, for example, two of the traditional "triggers" of lymphedema - repetitive motion and airplane travel, are not holding up to scrutiny. Studies done on dragon boaters (there's no motion more repetitive than rowing) are showing no increase in lymphedema. Studies on careful resistance exercise are showing a decrease or improvement in lymphedema. Regarding plane travel - the few studies that exist are not showing much. Problems after plane travel may be more related to lack of movement and perhaps unaccustomed lifting, if anything.

I'm taking a long time to answer your question. I'm going to give you the advice that I think makes the best sense for anyone who is concerned about any activity or occurrence that could affect lymphedema. First, if you already have lymphedema, you need to be even more cautious than those simply at risk for it. But the same basic advice applies to all of us who have had lymph nodes removed.

1. If you have not previously done so, schedule a visit with a certified lymphedema therapist for a baseline assessment and a demonstration of proper technique for the gentle massage to stimulate lymph flow. You should also receive basic education at this visit, and learn some exercises to stimulate lymph flow.

2. Armed with above information and course of action, approach anything new that might be a lymphedema trigger with caution. Do not automatically BAN the activity. But start it very slowly (in this case, perhaps a few minutes in the hot tub, with arm not immersed). Pay close attention afterwards, and do a small drill of exercise and massage to stimulate lymph flow. If you notice that your arm seems affected (tightness, burning, heaviness - it does not have to be outright swelling), increase your level of alert and repeat the exercise/massage drill. If it does not settle down quickly, it's back to the therapist and probably taking that that activity off your list. But most of the time, you'll find that you're able to try it again and do a little more the next time. And the next time. Etc. Trouble comes when the first time, you go all out. Or when after the first mild symptoms, you ignore them and let them worsen before seeking help.

3. If you are overweight, be more cautious - you are at a higher risk of developing lymphedma. If you can lose weight, you will reduce your risk of lymphedema.

4. Over time, you will learn what works for you and your arm, and what doesn't. You will learn which bits of the massage drill and which exercises are of the most help to your arm when you've overdone it. These details will be different for each of us.

At diagnosis, I was inordinately concerned about developing lymphedema. I did develop mild lymphedema. I had a great therapist who had no edicts. She told me the things that might be triggers and gave me the above advice - start anything new slowly and paying close attention. Advance time and/or effort cautiously, paying close attention. But she didn't tell me there was anything the couldn't be tried.

Over the years, I've become closely in tune with my arm's issues. I know what works when it is annoyed, and I usually can predict what will annoy it. I paddle my whitewater kayak and I skate ski - two fairly strenuous and repetive arm motions. Afterwards, I have little drill of massage and stretching. The more I use the arm, and the stronger it becomes, the less it complains after activity, but it always complains a little. One of the worst things for my arm is actually at the other end of the spectrum - things like sitting in a formal meeting or conference for hours, where I can't move the arm about without being disruptive. That lack of motion does it every time. I've learned little tricks like discreetly reaching up and behind my back, appearing to scratch my back or grab a sweater sleeve (less disruptive than waving the hand above the head, which is what works the best). For my arm, a simple twisting/wringing motion helps a lot, if I remember to do it. That's pretty discreet. Now, I don't even have to consiously remember to keep the arm moving - it's an autopilot function. But early on, I'd be hours into a meeting when I'd realize there was swelling, and then of course it's harder to get it under control.

This is probably FAR more than you wanted to hear. I get carried away on this subject. Lymphedema was one of my weird fears (obsessions?) at diagnosis. I even took a course to become certified as a therapist, a few years after diagnosis but it turned out that although RNs can be certified, they cannot bill for their services, a crazy catch-22 imho, and I rarely got to practice my skills. That was in 2003 and I don't feel current anymore, although if they changed the reimbursement rules, I'd consider repeating the training. See, there I go, rambling again.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
StephN

Wink Kiniseo tape

Hi -
Debbie gives some good advice about moderation and trying things slowly. We have enough problems without getting a full blown case of lymphedema.

Having 18 nodes removed I was careful to go easy on the lifting and make sure I had my range of motion back before starting a program of strengthening with light hand weights.

Knowing several BC survivor friends who did become afflicted with lymphedema, I was scared about that. It seems that some type of injury was what first set off their swelling. Such as a fall, banging the arm or shoulder or car accident.

About 3-4 years ago I did develop some moderate swelling in my surgery side hand/wrist and went for consult and treatment. Had to wear a compression glove with foam strips for extra pressure. Then my therapist got training in Kineseo tape. That was a good alternative to me and I ditched the glove.

There has been no swelling to speak of for over a year and I no longer use those devices or need to massage for drainage. Guess it was "easy come, easy go" in my case.

As for hot tubs or hot pools, I will use them on occasion, but tend to keep my hand above the surface.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Sherryg683

OOps..that was something I wasn't aware of. I don't get in hot tubs too often but I have gone in saunas and hottubs since my surgery. I had 13+ positive lymph nodes. I did have some very mild swelling early in my arm and wrist but I think it was because I play tennis and abused my arm way too much in the beginning. I bought a compression sleeve and wear it when I play and haven't had too much problems with it. I was really thinking about getting a hot tub put in our back yard but I guess I need to reconsider it..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Margerie

Considering Debbie's post, which trails along with my basic thinking on the subject........Is it just me, or is anyone else upset by the fact that mostly we are told that we CAN'T EVER: go in a hot tub, fly with out a compression sleeve, pick up anything heavy or carry a heavy shoulder bag with affected arm, garden without gloves, get a sunburn on our arm, get a mosquito bite on our arm, overuse our arm all in addition to never getting blood drawn, blood pressure or ivs in affected arm when it seems that this mostly speculation and not based on any true science?

Not many concerns for our quality of life????? We should be happy that we survived??? Are we stuck with old wives tales that may have some truth, but maybe fiction?

Sorry, I would blame my rant on my hormones, if I had any LOL!

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
StephN

Wink

Marjorie - WE know we are writing new "cancer laws" about a lot of things. Though it is good to use some sense, it is best not to throw caution completely to the wind! As Debbie says, just do what you find works for you as the "hard science" on this subject is lacking.

Hey - I garden without gloves quite often! Get stuck by rose thorns when pruning and scratched by my raspberry bushes, as I don't pick wearing gloves!

Guess I have the old "can't never could" phrase stuck between my ears and prefer to carry on as best I can.

Only time will tell.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
Bill

Amen, Margerie! Alice, I have no advice regarding lymphedema, but it seems like you've gotten some good advice from your sisters here. My take- if you really enjoy something, and still want to do it, take precautions and do it in moderation, and follow the before and after advice of the ladies here. Remember, it was doctors and scientists who declared that it was physically impossible for a human being to run a 4 minute mile, but Roger Bannister did it. I guess he didn't listen to his doctor. Neeedless to say, always consult your docs., but do your own homework, too, just like you are now. To give up something you enjoy because of possibly unfounded fears would be a shame. I'm just an idiot talking here, so don't jump in the hot tub yet, just keep researching and thinking.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
Becky

Debbie's post was excellent. When I responded to Alice, I was just answering the question - yes, hot tubs and saunas can be a problem for some women. But Debbie really spent the time on it.

I used to fly with a compression sleave and I would never take my stuff out of the over head bin with my affected arm. Then I had to go on a business trip to Mexico City and I forgot the sleave. After 5 1/2 hrs there and back - nothing happened. I always really try to move that arm in flight (with and without the sleave) so now, I don't wear a sleave but I don't use my affected arm to get my stuff out of the over head bin or use it to carry heavy stuff after a flight (because 2 whammies might cause a problem). However, I do use the arm otherwise (vaccuming, gardening, and I work out with hand weights - up to 5 lbs on each hand).

I don't have access to a hot tub or sauna. I think the one thing everyone should be concerned with is injury - especially wounds/cuts etc where infection can be a major culprit. That is also the premise on IV/injections too - the potential for the introduction of bacteria should be avoided (I think at all costs). I always have antibacterial wipes, Neosporin To Go and bandaides just in case I cut myself. So, I think with Hot tubs, it is the chance that the establishment may not put enough chlorine in that could be a problem whereas at a home hot tub, one could take charge of that potential problem.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
SoCalGal

Many woman in my group were also "Obsessed" with lymphadema. It was such a HOT hot topic back then in the stone ages. 1996. LOL. I had 20 neg nodes removed - sentinel node was in clinical trial at Kaiser but my doctor felt the traditional way was the best way. 12 years ago I had some swelling in the breast following radiation but consulted with Dr Emily Ikers in Santa Monica who put it all in perspective for me (taught me some manual lymph drainage to do in the shower each morning-1 minute daily and that resolved the breast-adema.)
LONG story ending - I never wore a sleeve or paid special attention to my arm other than to always clean any cuts and cover with neosporin and a bandade. I take baths often. Hot tub on occasion and until this post didn't even know it was risky. But for me every day that my eyes open is risky. Debbie's advice was good. Pay attention to your body when it's whispering to you - don't make it yell. Happy tubbing.
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Del

Just after diagnosis almost 2 years ago, I asked my oncologist if it was okay to take regular saunas (since I was on chemo, and didn't want it to flush it out of my system too quickly, etc.). She was fine with it, and didn't even bring up anything about lymphedema. She has never cautioned me in regards to hot tubs or saunas. I only had 9 nodes removed, and have never had any problems with lymphedema, but I've occasionally been in hot tubs, and have taken twice-weekly saunas, with no problems whatsoever. However, I realize everyone's body is different, and I will bring up this question at my next appointment.
finished chemo Oct 2007, continue on Herceptin for life, also on Tamoxifen
MRI in Jan 2008 shows no evidence of cancer in liver - NED!!
recurrence in left axilla nodes April 2010
now highly ER+, still HER2+
oophorectomy July 2010
start TDM1 (Emilia) trial Sept 2010
it's working!! can still palpate small node in axilla, but remain NED everywhere else
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
swimangel72

My oncologist had NO information at all that was helpful for my lymphedema - but fortunately he did give me a referral to a fantastic lymphedema therapist. She was very thorough and up-to-date with everything. I only had 2 lymph nodes removed with the SNB but 5 were removed in the breast area during my mastectomy. I developed painful cording and very very slight swelling in my right arm which she treated. I regained full range-of-motion but she did fit me for a sleeve and gauntlet which she told me to wear when flying. When I asked her about swimming, she did a lot of research then told me that swimming was excellent exercise for lymphedema patients (the pressure of the water against the skin helps move lymph fluid) but she said NO hot tubs. I was disappointed because we had a hot tub, but in the meantime, the pumps started leaking so I gave it away (too expensive to repair - and it needed a new cover which would have cost $450.) Still I miss the hot tub, especially on beautiful snowy cold clear nights we've been experiencing this past week!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
tricia keegan

My friend in Australia developed lyphedema in her hand from sitting in her hot tub. She said although she kept her affected arm out it's the body temp which causes the harm.
I think it's something that may or may not happen but not sure I'd want to take a chance.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
AlaskaAngel

Unhappy puzzling

We have a furo (a more vertical hot tub) as part of the shower area we built into the house. I had just the sentinel node removed. Even 7 years out I am cautious about using the furo.

I still don't use that arm for heavy things or lifting much. About every two months the arm acts up and is painful clear down to the fingertips of 2 fingers and there is no position of comfort that I can find. It feels like the circulation is partly shut off. This weekend it was like that again. There is nothing I know of that brings it on in particular. Since lymphedema can happen years afterward, I do find it pretty spooky every time.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
caya

question

This is a great thread. I do not have lymphedema. I had 16 nodes removed, regained full range of motion by very religiously doing the arm exercises - I never thought about this hot tub/sauna issue. What about my whirlpool bathtub? I have used it since my MRM in Dec. 2006, but I don't sit in it for a long time.

I am still reticent to life weights, although I would like to try it. My exercise is mostly walking, aerobic exercises, and some swimming in the summer.

I have worn a sleeve while flying - that I had fitted by a professional fitter. I think if you get 5 different oncs/breast surgeons, you will get 5 different opinions on this.

That is why I love this site - it's information city here.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote