HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
CoolBreeze

Very nervous

I've been off chemo/herceptin for six weeks - it'll be 2 months before I start up again.

My last chemo was the 22nd, and I had my liver resection on October 3rd. I know I needed healing time but I am very ready to start up again. They got all the cancer in my liver but we all know there could be a cell there lurking and waiting.

I'm more nervous know that I've ever been about this. I wanted a quicker appointment but my onc wants me to see the surgeon first and he's so busy I couldn't get an appointment until November 2nd. I see the onc on November 9th and I doubt I'll start chemo right that day.

My cancer grows fast. In five months, it went from zero to 5 cms in the liver. I know I'm supposed to be cured and no more cancer - but I'm finding it very hard to think that way and I'm nervous.

Who knew somebody couldn't wait to get back on chemo/herceptin????

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Very nervous

I RECALL MY ONC ASSURING ME THAT THE SHELF LIFE FOR HERCEPTIN IS VERY LONG -- UP TO 6 MNTHS. (So when I quit H after 10 yrs, nervously of course, I figured I could get through a half yr at the very least.) One step at a time.

Next wk you'll see your surgeon, and be cleared no doubt for chemo. The 9th is fast approaching. Before you know it -- Thanksgiving will be here.

I know -- it's so very hard not to worry, but it messes up your T cells and immune system and plays games w/your ability to enjoy your mini vaca.

I keep talking to my body -- HEAL! HEALTHY AND WELL! NO MORE CANCER! The body listens to everything you think, say or whisper. It has no sense of humor, I've learned. Make your commands clear. Intention and Expectation are key to achieving your goals.

I know some think this is magical thinking but psycho neuro immunology is serious business...

Sending loving, healing, peaceful energy, CB...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
CoolBreeze

Unfortunately, my cancer recurred only a few months after my last herceptin and had grown large, so that 6 months assurance doesn't apply to me.

It's funny - I've never been nervous. Not when first diagnosed and not when told I was Stage Iv. It's now, when I have a chance for actual cure, that I am nervous. I guess it make sense if you think about it - I don't want to mess the cure up.

I'm trying to think very positively as I have always done, and I try to use language that says I'm healed. Truth is, I want that drip as assurance and 2 months is a long time considering what I know about how fast my cancer grows. That means too, I must not have much faith in the cure the doctors just tried to give me, which means my attempts at considering myself a normal person who can have a long life is not internalized.

I even thought about getting a tat to make myself remember every day that I'm healed. But, to be truthful, I don't really like tattoos.

I thought about getting this bracelet: http://www.zales.com/product/index.j...uctId=11166494 with the words "Cure" "Heal" "Prevail" as a reminder.

It's funny, it was very easy for me to slide into Stage IV mode much harder to get out of it. Especially because I know the chances aren't great I'll be cured - but some women are? Why not me?

08/17/09 Dx'd.

10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Lori R

Dear Cool Breeze,
I encourage you to be a pain in the butt and push for what your heart is telling you. Call the Surgeon's office and get on a cancelation list. Explain to them that his inability to see you is slowing down further treatment. You know your body and it sounds like you are doing very well.

Next, call your onc and get an appointment for the day following the appt with the surgeon.

It is OK to fight and be demanding for what you know is best for you.

The ONLY time I haven't pushed the envelope was after my surgery. I really wish I had. So don't have regrets on this.

Sending support and a little encouragement....Lori

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
DeenaH

Why can't they give you herceptin now? I kept on with my herceptin and tykerb all through recovery from my lung resection surgery. And I was cleared for adding navelbine less than 2 weeks after surgery. I even took the tykerb while I was still in the hospital. I would be a squeaky wheel and call your surgeon's office everyday asking about cancellations. Good luck!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
BonnieR

You asked "why not me?". Indeed. Why not you. It is so easy to get into one mind set. But I have been told we can only think one thought at a time. So make it a healing one. Buy the bracelet! And keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
CoolBreeze

The reason they want me to wait is to be sure my liver can process herception/chemo. As you know, it's your liver that does all the cleaning and processing of everything that goes into your body, and half of mine is gone. They need to be sure it can handle the toxic chemo drugs before they give them to me.

My surgeon wanted to see me three weeks post-hospitalization, and I'm right on track, it's almost exact. And, my onc wants me to see the surgeon first as he's the one who will know about the liver. I see the onc 6 days later so there is no real delay.

Unfortunately, this is the time constraints necessary, and they medically can't be rushed. But they still make me very nervous. I want my chemo!!!

By the way, the one thing you never have to worry about me is passivity, lol.

I am still thinking about that bracelet. A constant reminder of my healthy state would be great. If anybody has other ideas, I'm all ears.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
Pam P

Cool Breeze - Get the bracelet, it will give you joy and remind you of good health. I was going to go to a Scandinavian store and get a special pair of earrings for my 60th b-day. Before I could get there I broke my leg. The mission is postponed, not canceled.

I understand the reasons you gave for letting your liver heal and not introducing chemo yet. I also GET the anxiety of not having the chemo. Prayers that you remain safe and healthy during this period and get back on tx soon.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
Becky

Dear Cool

Herceptin is not chemo. Can you get a weekly dose to start - it is the chemo they are worried about (or at least it should be and rightly so - the chemo is hard and the liver is the master detox organ). But seriously, get your onc and the liver surgeon to talk. You might be able to do weekly Herceptin alone. Then, when time's up on the wait, add in the chemo on that magic day and get chemo and Herceptin. Its just a thought and I think this might be allowed. However, you are going to have to push for it. Look on the Herceptin site for ammo (I really never looked if there could be liver issues with just Herceptin - I would think not).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Very nervous

Yes Cool. I didn't know all you posted after the first post. Got with your gut, your Inner Voice. Of course you're anxious, but be calm and assertive and follow the advice above.

I also remember my onc telling me -- NO MATTER -- WHAT YOU ALWAYS GET HERCEPTIN. In '98 it was given weekly. It was years later that I was able to switch to the triple dose every 3 wks.

Explain to the person who answers the phone, in a calm but urgent manner, the way you would speak to a friend. It generally gets me what I want.

Prior to my orig dx I was pushing for a mammo. Nothing for 2 wks. I called back, explained firmly, and was told -- You're not going to believe this, I JUST had a cancellation! Go for it, Cool...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
michka

Hi CB. I understand how you feel but your liver needs to heal a little.
I was on Herceptin+Tykerb before the operation and my liver parameters were normal.
I always stayed on Herceptin. I stopped Tykerb 10 days before (which I believe was too short). I started Navelbine, and restarted Tykerb about 1 month after the operation. It was really tough for my digestion and for my liver. It took months for my liver parameters to come back to normal and I didn't feel well at all. I believe chemo hit hard on the liver. I stopped Navelbine end of September and only my last blood tests last week showed normal parameters.
But I am not an onc. If you feel good and your blood work is good, then you should really discuss chemo with your onc. You will feel better. But don't worry too much. Even if you only see your onc on the 9th you will still be on track.
Hugs. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
LoisLane

Hi coolbreeze. I hear your anxiety and I am sure it is so difficult to wait. You are so brave and have have been strong and determined through this last surgery. If the doctor feels your liver needs to be strong enough to process the chemo and herceptin I think that is as you have said a reality here. As the ladies said here follow your heart and instincts. Perhaps try a meditation tape and breathing to get you through this. You were speaking of tatoos. I had bilateral breast cancer with double mastectomy and no reconstruction. I have decided to get a very delicate small cherry blossom tatoo across the top of chest on the right side. I didn't know until I was looking for a picture that cherry blossoms
mean "rebirth" so I feel that we will all keep being reborn, going through the struggles
and keep going. Ann I wish you strength, determination and calmness you will get through this stuff be the optimistic person you are!
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
DeenaH

Gotcha. That makes total sense. Hang in there!

And i agree. Get the bracelet!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
CoolBreeze

Thanks ladies. Trust me, if I thought it would help I'd be on the phone right now insisting on herceptin immediately. But, I know he's not going to order it until the surgeon signs off that my liver has healed enough. Herceptin may not be hard on a normal liver but on a half liver - that's a different story.

It's just hard to sit and wait. I know the second I get my first infusion I'll feel better.

I bet I'm one of the few women itching to get chemo!

08/17/09 Dx'd.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
KDR

CoolBreeze,
Here's to wishing that your liver regenerates quickly--and that your road gets a little easier from here.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
chrisy

Stay on the "why NOT me" thought. Funny, I just sent a memo to my department managers telling them they had to have their 2012 Goals submitted by November 9 - and everyone is freaking out that it is so little time! Different world...

But, I think if you have the appt with the surgeon set on Nov 2, push to see your oncologist earlier than the 9th. You could also, assuming that you get the all-clear for chemo, have them schedule it now - it can always be canceled if necessary. I don't see any reason why you would need to wait for the appt with the onc, then at that point be "oh, now lets think about scheduling the chemo".

Keep in mind tho, you are right now NED! And you do need your liver to be as healthy as possible to process the chemo safely. As Becky said, everyone is rightly concerned that you be READY.

Think....cured!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
CoolBreeze

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping somebody understood, but I see I'm in an unusual place.

I am about the most assertive person you'd ever want to meet, and would have no hang-ups insisting on an appointment if that is what needed to be done. In fact, I have my onc's personal cell number and am not afraid to use it.

This is the way it has to be. The surgeon has to sign off before I get chemo or zometa or hercepton for my health. Having your liver removed means you react differently to drugs. Whatever another person's onc said to them-unless you had a liver resection and ablation-it doesn't apply.

My onc has practices out of town so I can only see him Wednesday, and I have the first Wednesday appt after I see the surgeon. I usually see him in the afternoon but I have a morning appt so there will be time to get my meds if allowed.

I wasn't asking for advice on how to handle the situation, just looking for a little sympathy and understanding.

But, I guess maybe if you haven't had this surgery, it's hard to understand.

In any event, I did buy that bracelet as a reminder to think cure.

08/17/09 Dx'd.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
StephN

Dear Cool Lady -

I have been in the liver mets crowd myself, but due to so much spread was not a candidate for any kind of resection. Someone above mentioned "your liver regerates" - and I am wondering if you have had so much REMOVED there is a possibility that some will actually grow back. Have your docs mentioned any such thing?

I started a stiff round of multiple chemos plus Herceptin with only about 40% of my liver healthy, but it was scattered. The chemo had something IN my liver to go to work on, so I guess that is not the same as not having anything there at all.

Thanks for the explanation of everyone's schedules. Those are always a hurdle when you are seeking the best possible advice.

Wear the bracelet to your heart's content and burn those words into your brain. Make them overpower the doubt and unease you are feeling. The time will pass quickly if you let it.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
CoolBreeze

Yes, your liver regenerates. The theory behind how tired I am is because I'm growing a new liver! No idea if that's true or not.

I guess it doesn't take long to grow either - between two weeks to two months. Isn't that amazing?

08/17/09 Dx'd.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Ellie F

Hi
A good friend of mine had a large part of her liver removed for mets from colon cancer also going for the cure! She had 'mop up' chemo three months after surgery by which time her liver had completely regenerated.Her surgeon insisted she follow a really strict diet post surgery which she did to the letter. Five years later she is still NED.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote