HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Angela

Cool Why don't doctors believe what we tell them?

I just got home from the onc. I have been coughing my head off. I've been researching what could be causing this cough and found many women on this site who had a cough with herceptin that went away after getting off of herceptin. I told the onc about it today and he said "I have over 30 patients on herceptin, some have been on it for 8 years and none of them have a cough". So, since none of his other patients have a cough does that mean it can't be herceptin. How do I get him to look at the facts that it can cause a cough? If I am wrong about herceptin causing a cough someone please tell me. Now he has me on hydrocodone and is going to put me though lots of test. He even said that the cough could be coming from my lung met (1spot left) which is now less then 2mm.

Another strange thing...I wanted to take a break from herceptin to see if the cough would go away...he said ok we will wait 4 weeks until your next treatment. I said 4 weeks? The would only be 1 week longer (I usually go every 3 weeks). He didn't want me off of it any longer then 4 weeks. However, back in Oct when I asked to skip a treatment (I was off for 6 weeks) so I could enjoy vacation he said sure, not a problem. Why the difference in attitude?

I know you'll can't answer all of these crazy question. I am just venting I guess. Thanks for letting me vent in a place were others understand what I am going thought.

Love ya,

Dx May 2003 at age 39
Lt mastectomy, no nodes
DCIS, PR- ER- Her+++
4 rounds AC
Recurrence Dec 2006 Rt lung
2/07 - 3 Brain mets - Radiation
3/07 -
Carboplatin and Herceptin
8/07- mets stable. Finished Carboplatin-remain on Herceptin
12/07 - Herceptin only
5/08 - Lung mets grew - tykerb and Navilbene. Reaction to Tykerb -9/08 Herceptin again
12/08 - Lung mets growing - xeloda.
8/09 - Given Zometa for precaution
10/09 - Lung mets back plus new ones. - Put back on Xeloda.
1/10 – Began short-term disability

2/10 –Lung mets growing - Gemzar
9/2010 – Scan show tumors in lungs growing. Put on Ixempra (every 3 weeks). MRI of the brain showed a brain bleed but it had stopped bleeding.

Angela is offline   Reply With Quote