HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Sandra in GA

Reconstruction

Hi Everyone,
After completing my Herceptin and lapatinib in Nov., I have been involved with what I am calling"repair work." Dec. 8th and 29th I had cataracts that grew because of the Decadron during the reg. chemo repaired. That went very well. Then, on Jan. 19th, they did a latissimus dorsi flap with expanders on the left side. At the time of my initial surgery, I opted for a double mastectomy and they began the reconstruction on the right side at that time.

This surgery has been a littlt more painful than I had anticipated. The trip back home on Friday following the surgery on Tuesday was uncomfortable. But, with pillows and a stop for extra pain pills, we made it. I am still taking some pain pills but only two or three a day. I still have all three drainage tubes in place and am sure when they are removed, I will be in less discomfort. I will be checking with the nurse in the AM and she will determine when I am to come back (I live almost three hours away by car.)

Even though there is discomfort, there is also a different attitude during this healing period than the last. Now, I feel that when I get well this time, I will just feel better and better. Before I just felt that I was getter better to get on with the chemo and other treatments.

They also removed my port on the 18th! So, now to quote someone on the site, "I have been deported!" It is a wonderful feeling to be looking forward to this spring and summer and all the beauty that time of year brings!

Sandra

I do have some discomfort in my left shoulder (which is my dominate one) where the shoulder almost feels that it is dislocating when I am bending over and reach out with that hand. Have any of you experienced anything similar? I am guessing it will get better with time. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated!
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote