HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
forher

Brain mets but no systemic disease

Hi everyone,
I have a question about metastasis. Does anyone have brain mets without systemic disease? This is my case and I find it unusual and hard to understand why I have mets in my brain but not anywhere else? Isn't it logical to assume that mets would have to travel through my body before reaching my brain? Do you think my systemic mets just has not been discovered yet via scans?
BMX Dec 2013
28 Rads Feb 2014
Exchange surgery June 2014
Herceptin end Sept 2014
Headaches start Oct 2014
CT body clear Nov 2014
Brain MRI 4 lesions Nov 2014
SRS via LINAC in Dec 2014
Rt side infection, hospitalized, lost right implant on Jan 1, 2015
Jan 14 2015 MRI brain lesions shrinking
Jan 27 2015 Re-start herceptin every 3 weeks
Feb 2015 CT/PET Body clear
Re-start Lymphedema treatment April 2015
Breast MRI clear April 2015
Brain MRI April 2015 - shows everything stable, nothing new (whew)
CT scan June 2015 - clear
forher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Lani

Re: Brain mets but no systemic disease

It does happen (although it is relatively rare) that her2+ breast cancer metastasizes to the brain without having gross(macro) metastases elsewhere.

Her2+ breast cancer has a predilection for metastasis to the brain. It seems it is even more prone to metastasize to the brain when treated with herceptin (it was thought that it was only that patients lived longer while on herceptin so they lived long enough to get the brain mets, but mathematically it seems more than that)

Have you been staged with a PET-CT to determine if there are any other mets?
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #3
Lauriesh

I think having stage 4 cancer means it is systemic.
It had to travel through your body to get to your brain,so I guess I don't see it as much different than having liver or lung mets.
I had cancer only in my liver, no where else. We have to assume that there are cancer cells floating around everywhere in our body and we don't know where they will start growing next.
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
StephN

I had two brain mets show up after being stage 4, but over two years NED. So, that means some micromets had to have lodged in my brain and were finally able to grow over that "NED" period.

The only way the mets changed any of my blood work was by elevating my CEA number. I had NO symptoms.

Hope you will have successful treatment, and have no more brain mets pop up. I have not had anymore tumors show in my head or anyplace else since 2006.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
forher

Hi Lani,
I have no systemic disease (I hope I am using the term correctly) according to all my PET/CT. I just wonder if there is anyone else out there like me. I am still stage IV and it might not make any difference, but I still wonder if I have small mets in my body that has not been detected yet. I had neoadjuvant therapy and then a BMX. According to my onc and the reports, all the cancer is gone (except for brain metastases which showed up about 15 months after I was initially diagnosed).
I am now even more concerned after reading your post: '\"It seems it is even more prone to metastasize to the brain when treated with herceptin (it was thought that it was only that patients lived longer while on herceptin so they lived long enough to get the brain mets, but mathematically it seems more than that)"
I am on Herceptin only now, and my onc doesn't even feel like I should be getting it (I restarted in Jan 2015). I told her I wanted to control my sytemic disease in case it was there. Her response was, "You don't have sytsemic disease." I'm so confused. Am I over-treating?
I really appreciate the replies and a chance to think out loud here.
BMX Dec 2013
28 Rads Feb 2014
Herceptin end Sept 2014
Headaches start Oct 2014
CT body clear Nov 2014
Old 05-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Mtngrl

If you are tolerating the Herceptin I think you should stay on it for awhile, and maybe add a small molecule drug like Tykerb, that might pass the blood-brain barrier.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
suzan w

One thing for sure, cancer does not play by the rules. Even if we "think" we might find some aspects of our dis-ease that does not make sense, cancer cells are always trying to morph into something else...sneaky little bastards...
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
Lani

Breast cancer is felt to have metastasized long before it is diagnosable. The micrometastases are too small to be detected by PET or MRI OR CT. A safe-havene where they sleep like sleeping beauties awaiting being "kissed" and woken by my angiogenic factors is the bone marrow.

I have opined endlessly on this forum about testing bone marrow for micrometastasis before and after treatments and continue testing (and adding/changing treatments until they dissappear). They appear to be cancer stem cells waiting to cause metametastases. They evade chemotherapy by being dormant (non dividing) just like mold in your shower evades the bleach and comes back when the moisture returns.

Those treatments that kill "sleeping" cancer stem cells as well as primary tumor cells and or active macrometastases should eliminate the cancer ie, 'cure' it

US oncologists tend not to be hematologists and often rarely perform bone marrow aspirations/biopsies and rationalize that "patients do not like them"
--well patients do not like receiving chemo other, but that doesn't stop them from recommending it.

A well planned trial is necessary to prove this once and for all. I tried to convince the head of the I-SPY trial to add it to their tests, then tried to get
Susan Love involved. In the meantime, she (Dr. Love) developed leukemia and
had bone marrow tests herself and I understand she will now will be recommending bone marrow testing be added to the I-spy trials.

TRIALS with bone marrow testing for DTCs (disseminated tumor cells) has long been done in Germany and indicate those with micromets in the bone marrow are at much higher risk of becoming Stage IV (macrometastasis)

I recommmend the articles of Klaus Pantel for those interested

In the US we have been trying to get the same info from circulating tumor cells--those may or may not represent cells which might "cause trouble" as they are not "sleeping" in a niche and are reachable by conventional "systemic" treatments and may not survive if they don't settle down into the right microrenvironment.

so "forher' your brain micromets might have been there for years before you were diagnosed and treated and/or hiding in your bone marrow, then awakened and traveled to your brain where the chemo and herceptin could not get to.

Off to ASCO for me now--will fill you in on latest and greatest later...
Old 05-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
lkc Gumby

Lani, you are brilliant and are absolutely correct about the BM micro.metastasis. this is pretty well accepted within the medical oncology community and explained to me years ago by a close friend, a medical oncologist.
The question is why is this information not provided to BC patients.
... would create more fear in the patients? however, I believe its much more then that. hate to think it's the cost factor.....

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Lani

worse, I THINK IT IS A MATTER OF PHYSICIAN "TURF" (WHICH ULTIMATELY RELATES TO ECONOMICS) and unwillingness to refer to someone else something they are not or no longer familiar with or good at.

I really hate to think that, but it comes from discussing this with many at AACR, ASCO and other meetings as well as with old college friends who are medical oncologists.

Most/best of the bone marrow studies done on bc in the US were done by a surgeon,not a medical oncologist, DR. ANTHONY LUCCI of MD Anderson (pubmed them)
Old 05-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
Lani

I don't go with the fear factor--in fact I think it would keep many many more from overtreatment and save money and healthy productive lives.

More patients are in fear if they don't know if the treatment they had worked
and if it was the right treatment.

If movies did not confuse lumbar punctures, bone marrow biopsies and being put on the rack in movies about Elizabethan England, things would be much better.

A 80 year old neighbor of mine with no diseases volunteered for $100 to get a bone marrow for a study and thought the discomfort a 4 out of 10 for about 2 seconds and then a 1 or 2 out of 10 soreness if she leaned the biopsy site back into a hard seat for 2-3 days(she weights about 90 lbs and has no "upholstery").

Anything that helps identify ONLY those that need the treatment, the best/least treatment for them cannot help to save money-- but pharma only wants to develop expensive drugs for a sufficiently large population or orphan drugs where unlimited profits and lengthy patent rights are ensured, it seems.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Mtngrl

"If movies did not confuse lumbar punctures, bone marrow biopsies and being put on the rack in movies about Elizabethan England, things would be much better."

So right. So funny. So pathetic.

I love you, Lani.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
forher

Lani! Thank you so much for posting! You are a wealth of knowledge and analogies (love them). So scary that any time we can awaken "the sleeping giant" and mets can show up.

Amy- I am considering Tykerb. Just waiting on my next test result. So far , I'm stable since Jan so I don't really feel like jumping into chemo. Ick! I have a bone scan coming up, too.
I actually feel fine (relative term). No headaches. Just post surgery and rads pain, oh, and that darn lymphedema. Do I "wait and see"? Or should I bug my onc about testing my bone marrow? How is bone marrow cancer treated if they are unreachable with systemic treatment? Sorry, feeling a little confused.
BMX Dec 2013
28 Rads Feb 2014
Herceptin end Sept 2014
Headaches start Oct 2014
CT body clear Nov 2014