HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Joan M

How's Xeloda and Taxotere combined

Has anyone taken Herceptin, Xeloda and Taxotere combined.

This combination was offered to me in lieu of surgery for my lung recurrence.

How is Taxotere? I took only Taxol combined with Herceptin and did pretty well on that, meaning I went to work every day. But, of course, I didn't feel great.

Is Taxotere much different than Taxol? How is it in combination with Xeloda?
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Jean

Hi Joan,
I had Taxotere but not with Xeloda,
I had TCH...

It was doable I don't know how much different the taxol
is from taxotere both being taxines? The taxines are
great drugs. The taxotere can cause neuropathy, which I did have this in my toes but after about 1.5 it is almost
gone...B12 and the B complex vit. helps this. So you may want to eat foods rich in these vit. if your onc. does not want you to take supplements during treatment.
meat, fish, eggs, fortified cerals.

Some side effects that occur and I had this was loss of taste, I had a strong metal taste in my mouth. I found
that having sherbert/or/ice cream.
I am sure your onc. will give you meds for any nausea
I had Emend /and/Kytril which were great. Just be sure to take them.

joint and muscle pain...I took Alieve and that helped
and warm soaking baths...

Nails of fingers and toes can change color, I did not get this...many woman put ice on their nails during treatment or frozen peas ...Brenda on the site always says Sally Hansens hard as nails/and/tree oil helps.

Change your toothbrush each week during treatment to help avoid mouth sores I did not get any.

I hope some of this helps. Have been thinking of you
and sending you all good wishes.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Joan M

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your response.

I tolerated Taxol pretty well. I had no antinausea pre-meds like the Emend and Kytril I took with Adriamycin + Cytoxan.

But someone had mentioned to me once that even though they did well on Taxol, they did not handle Taxotere well at all.

I too had neuropathy in my hands but not my feet.

Did the taxotere require Decadron. To me that's a dreaded drug which was a necessary evil when taking Taxol.

My nails got very dry but I think that was from the Adriamycin.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Ceesun

Joan, I had a rough time with taxotere, called it taxo terror to my hubby. But I have heard others breeze through it. I had xeloda with herceptin and w/o and found it easy to tolerate-some stomach issues and fatigue but I taught school and was able to do it...although very many naps after the day was done. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote