HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Paula O

San Antonio NEXT WEEK! OOOps...SOON!

I can hardly believe it's almost December and almost time for the San Antonio Conference! Wooohooo! Let's talk about a time we can all meet up.

These are the people that I am aware of that are attending the San Antonio symposium coming up:

Rhonda (Sassy)
StephN
AliceM
KarenZ
Melissa (Mel3)
Rhondalea
Debbie Laxague
Hosea63 (Amy)
Paula O

Debra D and Chris, I heard that you guys might possibly be attending too--are you guys able to come? Anybody else? Please do speak up if you are attending the conference. There's still time to register.

The schedule sure looks packed with great topics! The evening mentoring sessions also look good. I am attending as a Project Lead scholarship recipient through the Alamo Foundation. There are some extra meetings in connection with that I'll be attending the day before the symposium starts and during the conference. This will be my first time there. As part of the scholarship agreement, we are assigned a "Hot Topic" to attend and need to write up and submit a report. I requested one that is Her2 related if possible but that might not happen which is fine too. Assignments haven't been given out yet.

There is a lunch break from noon to 1:35 on Wednesday that looks free and probably the best time for me. The other possibility is for a quick dinner Tuesday night. There are meetings that day from 4PM to 5:30PM and then there is a Her2 session at 6PM . It might work to leave one meeting early at 4:30 or 5PM and get together till 5:45 and go to that Her2 session together. Any interest in meeting up then or does anyone want to propose another time? ****It's also fine with me to grab a piece of fruit and skip going out for a meal and just find a spot to chat (anybody know of a good place to do that?) . It might be less rushed. I imagine area restaurants will be very busy**** Debbie--you and I have the same itinerary--do you see any other open spots to propose a meetup--am I correct in my understanding that we have nothing else scheduled the times I suggested? There is so much going on I want to be sure I have it right and be where I'm supposed to be.

I imagine that for you guys that will be rotating overseeing the Her2 exhibit booth that that needs to be manned (womaned )continually. Would it be best to just connect there at the exhibit booth so no one is left out or can you all be gone from the booth at the same time? Or would that be inappropriate to have all of us gathered at that booth at the same time chatting when people are stopping by for info?

I'll be having most of my meals at the same time as additional meetings for advocates I'll be attending and have also accepted some invitations from Drug companies that have a meal included with the presentation I'll be attending so free time looks very limited---looks jam backed from breakfast til night. Debbie--are you going to the Drug Co invites too?

Let's talk and make a meetup with everybody coming happen!

I look forward to meeting you guys,

Paula
P.S. To those who have attended in previous years--is there anything you want to share that would be good for someone attending for the first time to know? Have you guys looked into best deal on transportation to your hotel? Please share the link if you have found a good arrangement.
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
chrisy

Re: Meeting Up in San Antonio NEXT WEEK!

Don't worry about going hungry! There is food available at every poster session and every satellite session. Go to the genentech advocate briefing, it is usually worthwhile, a good chance to hear what's going on and in turn meet some interesting people who work for the company. What has always impressed me is when you get with these folks one on one, you find out they all have a passion and personal agenda which is to defeat disease.

I don't think I will be able to make it this year and I'm heartbroken over it! my leg just isn't yet able to tolerate the walking. I haven't yet canceled my room or flight reservations, but I Know it's just a pipe dream!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
StephN

PaulaO - I LOVE your enthusiasm. The energy at this conference is absolutely amazing. Just when you think your tank is out of gas for the day, you drag your self to the next session, and somehow you become fascinated and able to draw from the group to keep going! It is a phenomanon like no other I have experienced.

Chrisy - I am HEARTBROKEN for your heartbreak. Was SO looking forward to seeing you and limping around together! My leg has been touch and go, but I think I just will make it using cabs to get to the conference center and probably taking a cane. (My therapists are working overtime to help me along.) And my hubby is bringing our exercycle upstairs to I can start using that now that my knee is less stiff.

Paula - You have the exhibit schedule and it may be good to meet there at our booth at 5pm exhibit closing, as that has been our usual plan in the past years. Then we all go to the Hot Topics Mentor Sessions taking a detour through the poster area to pick up some good quality eats and check out a few posters (rubbing elbows with a few famous doctors) on the way downstairs to the Hot Topics. (It is all in the Convention Center.) There is also a buffet at Hot Topics, but the food at the Posters area is better in MHO.

As for transportation each day, our hotel is pretty close so is not on the shuttle route. We walk or take a cheap cab. From the airport to town, we try to have a couple of people coordinate their arrivals so they share a cab fare. Same goes for when we are departing. In the past our dear Brenda would drive some of us in her big car. ;-(

You mentioned Tuesday evening. But there is no HER2 session on my schedule at 6pm - it must be part of the Educational Talks; I will check that. Our group will be going to the other educational talks on Tuesday afternoon - and they usually run into the evening. Maybe dinner after that???

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
rhondalea

I'm so sorry to hear that, Chris. I was looking forward to meeting you.

I hope your leg stops plaguing you soon.

Rhonda

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
sassy

I nominate Steph to coordinate a meeting time for our group of six if she is willing. We should all be pretty much together and on the same schedule more or less. If we want to try meeting up near the booth, last year there was a good spot at some tables nearby that allowed us to meet and keep an eye on the table at the same time. We could step over if someone was coming by. Haven't checked our location that closely for this year, but hopefully that would be an option.

Steph I may be right with you on the cab idea. I'm now in my boot for stress fracture until at least the Thursday before we go to SA. Hoping he agrees to let me out then!! We can just be the hobble twins!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Paula O

Chris, I'm sorry you won't be joining us. I imagine that was not an easy decision. Any chance that a rented wheelchair is an option? I'm confident you'd find many willing "WC pushers" who would be delighted to do it (me whenever I can as well as all these Her2 sistas who care about ya) to all the places you want to go ...just a thought in case it's a viable option for you. Hope that leg heals ASAP and all insurance woes are behind you. How was your vacation?

Regarding transportation, I wasn't clear. I meant to ask if anyone has compared prices on shuttle services for getting from the SA airport to your motel. My motel is in easy walking distance to the conference.

I wish I had allowed some time before the conference to poke around SA. My flight is not switchable. Some of my friends from Project Lead are going early to sightsee ahead of time which would have been fun.

Is it cold there this time of year? We're still wearing shorts in FL but are having a refreshing cooler (for here) front so sweaters are in use. I'll have to check Weather.com to determine how warm a jacket to bring. Is there a place to leave those so they don't have to be lugged around all day?

Paula
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Debbie L.

Hi Paula and all. You freaked me out with the "next week" subject title. NO! It's not quite that soon, phew. I'm so not ready, although very much looking forward to SABCS as usual. Over the years, I've become less starry-eyed about the promise but still it's hard not to get caught up in the energy of so many brilliant minds trying to figure out this very complex puzzle. Somewhat balancing my growing cynicism is the increasing enjoyment of gathering with old friends and making new ones each year.

It seems like there's just one shuttle from the airport, I don't remember having to choose. Just buy the ticket outside in the taxi area and board the shuttle.

We usually do not eat out except one evening. Between the food at poster sessions (most mornings and evenings), at the mentor sessions, and then at the satellite presentations, lunch is the only time there is not food served to all (but there's food available to buy).

Chris, I am sad to hear you won't be there. I keep pointing out to my mobility-limited friend that each year there are more people on those little scooters. I don't know if the convention center rents them or the people make private arrangements, but it seems like such a great way to cover all that ground.

Weather can be surprisingly cold, one year the freeway was closed for a bit because of ice! But typically it's not super cold, nor super wet. If it's windy, the walk from hotel and/or to events at other hotels can be chilly. Or maybe it will be one of those balmy years. There is a coat check place I think, although I've never used it.

I look forward to some time together as a HER2 group. I probably cannot make it to things that last past the regular mentor session in the evening, as I'm staying outside of downtown with friends and we're sharing a car. But anything we can squeeze in during the normal convention hours (including the satellites on Wed. and Thurs.) will work for me.

Debbie
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
phil

I can't be there, maybe next yr, if i send u some FDA ! Approve T DM-1 ! t shirts, would u wear them ?
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
rhondalea

If I wear your tee shirt, does it mean I can also wear jeans and sneakers instead of "office pants" and dress shoes?

(I really hope my dress pants fit. Guess I'd better try on clothes now, in case I need to shop.)

3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
StephN

Wink Re: Meeting Up in San Antonio NEXT WEEK!

Phil - QUICK - get those tee-shirts made up.

In my opinion we should NOT wear them at the booth, but if we are at a session and away on our own, why not?? However I think approval is coming pretty quickly.

Debra Druther may need to have the last word on that, as we are representing a group.

As for dress code, comfort is important. Joe never considered this a fashion event, but even wore his suit on occasion - alternating with his flowered print Carribean vacation shirts. Two pairs of COMFORTABLE SHOES are a must! The floor is concrete and most areas have thin carpets.

Most of us bring separates that we can mix and match and LAYER. The convention halls are HUGE and not really heated. So if it is cold out, it is cool inside. We don't normally have a problem with keeping our sweaters and jackets on all day (unless one is prone to hot flashes).

There is a Macy's right across the street from where we stay and most of us have had to pop in there for something (scarf, turtleneck, coat, gift shopping ...). One year Joe posted a picture of a bunch of us buying new coats in there.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
StephN

Debbie - I had the SAME thought, and had a moment of panic knowing the time has been slipping away from me for almost 3 months while I have been housebound and on "pills."

Saw my neurosurgeon today who gave me the go-ahead to do most anything I am able now. YAY!!!

Now I have one of those disabled parking permits to hang on my car mirror. And I bought myself a really pretty CANE.

So, maybe my cane will dictate my colors when I pack for Texas.

I think we need to get a list of phone numbers going so we can coordinate meeting up. The convention center seems to have quite good cell service now. We just need to keep phones often on vibrate and then check for messages or missed calls.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
phil

I think getting to wear comfortable jeans is one more fringe benefit of being a bc activist. i have some t shirts , maybe a dozen , pink and black. u cansee them at http://stageivsurvivor.webs.com. also flyers left over from our protests earlier this yr. we won't get to do another protest for quite awhile up here in Boston, too cold , no conventions that i know of. rather see them get used than go to waste. i'm serious , i'll ship them this week. PM me if u want some.
u should check w/ the her2support.org board about wearing them at the booth. its not w/o precedent thast a bc web support grp gets involved in activism. breastcancer.org and mylifeline.org both sent official reps to the Avastin hearings in 2011. testified to thier support for stage iv rights. it is about our rights beyond t dm-1. flexible tx, informed choice, more $ for research. get fda politics out of acc. appr., we want stageiv pts input at the FDA approval discussions. as far as appr for t dm-1 , if its not done by the Symposium , it highlights the disrespect , disregard, This FDA has for pts. patronize us. and even if its appr by then ( wouldn't that be great ! ), you still spek for We Stage Ivs at the Sympsium. if appr comes tomorrow , I will still be Protesting This FDA . 4 more yrs of this disrespect ? no way.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
karen z

I think you have heard it all. Layering is good for clothes as Steph said and it can definitely be chilly, windy, rainy at times (OR sometimes- all the time)- seems like I have a coat on most of the time outside and possibly inside (and one can dress casually or not- I really do not have many dressy clothes). Lunch is the only time one really has to seek out food (usually, it is all around you - especially at the evening events- truly an unbelievable amount). Also, one has to learn the food rules. There is food at the Hot Topics Sessions but ....don't eat too much......because there is even better and more food (and wine/deserts) at some of the later evening events. Breakfasts are usually covered free at one's hotel. So lunch seems the biggest issue although it seems that (over time) we have all learned how to find decent food at lunchtime (I know this doesn't sound good but you have to be there once to "get it"). Sometimes I just skip lunch (as do others)- one can grab some extra stuff at breakfast like fruit, etc.. There are so many good presentations, posters, events that one has to understand that it is not possible to see/hear everything (I learned that the hard way my first year). One can always pick up posters handouts "after the fact' so I have learned to try and go to the major sessions during the day and then go the Mentor sessions (fabulous) and later events (also fabulous). I also like the "wrap up" of the year on the last day. I drink a LOT of coffee when I am there. And somehow, even with all going on, I can almost promise that everyone will find their way to the across the street Macy's at least once (really a tradition at this point) and right next to the River Walk. I don't think it is possible to go to the conference and not walk part of the River Walk at least once. A good way to unwind. There is SO MUCH information presented that it is almost unimaginable. Quite something. Can't wait .......but thank God it is not next week as I need to finish teaching my classes before I can get out of here !!! k
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
karen z

Actually (upon reflection) the cab to the convention center does not sound like a bad idea. If only the cab could continue on and take us to that big (main) hall at the end of the convention center. For new ones: the convention center is huge. You will not have trouble (under normal circumstances) racking up thousands of steps each day. However, not to worry. The mall that houses the Macy's (and is right next to the River Walk) has chair massages available for sore backs !!! Last year I indulged out of necessity.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
Paula O

OOPS on getting my timing of the conference messed up! Sorry about that!!!! Kittyheaditis has struck again I guess. I'm happy to have another week before leaving-- I'll consider it a real bonus during this super busy time.
Whoever is interested, what do you think of connecting at the Her2support exhibit booth on Wednesday when there are no meetings during that lunch break? If folks want, they could pick up something to eat as they make their way over and we can move nearby if that's best. I might mosey over to the booth to join your group on the way to evening mentoring sessions sometimes as Steph suggested--I need to check my agenda better--sure is lots going on!
I appreciate all the tips and input. Thank you.
Have you guys planned out yet which presentations you want to go to? Wanna talk about what looks interesting?http://sabcs.org/ProgramSchedule/index.asp

NO PRESSURE WHATSOEVER but saw this below if anyone might possibly be interested in this service.

Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
200 E. Market Street, San Antonio, Texas 78205
Phone 210-207-8500
Fax 210-223-1495
The main entrance to the symposium is located on street level across Market St. from the Marriott Riverwalk.

Symposium events & services are located on three levels of the convention center.
Street (1st) level ( Bridge Hall, Exhibit Halls A, B, C & D, Ballrooms A & B)
Entrance:
Coat check, baggage check, Scooter Rental, First Aid station
Special Assistance
If you require special assistance, please contact the symposium office by phone at 210-450-1550 or email SABCS@uthscsa.edu

http://sabcs.org/Overview/Index.asp
-------------------------------
Transportation
The info below is from the Alamo website. Note the online roundtrip pre-paid route is least expensive. When my husband has time to check around, if we find any on-line discount coupons for GO Airport Shattle or if he sees another servicethat looks better, I will share that info here. A man of many wonderful tallents, one being an extraordinary husbamd :0), John is superb at finding bargains.
Transportation From Airport To Hotel
GO Airport Shuttle, San Antonio Airport’s official shuttle service, has shuttles departing to and from downtown approximately every 15 minutes from 7:00 AM – 1:30 AM daily. For 24 hour reservations and information, call 210-281-9900, or go online to www.goairportshuttle.com.

Shuttle tickets are sold at the baggage claim area, at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 for $19.00 per person to downtown hotels or $34.00 for a roundtrip ticket. Book online and receive an additional discount. Online rates are $17.00 to downtown hotels and $32.00 for a roundtrip ticket. Major credit cards are accepted.

Taxi fare is approximately $27.00. As many as 4 people may ride for the price of 1. SABCS does not provide transportation from the airport to the meeting.
Symposium Shuttle Buses

SABCS provides free shuttle bus transportation between symposium hotels and the convention center December 4-8, 2012.
  • Shuttle buses will travel frequently between symposium hotels and the convention center.
  • This service is free.
  • Buses will drop off and pick up at the Market Street Entrance of the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center.
  • Buses will only stop at the official symposium hotels. A wheelchair accessible bus will be available during the listed days and times. It is necessary to make reservations for this service by calling Circa Texas at 210-394-0607. Please call 24 hours in advance to make your reservation at your specific hotel.
  • Shuttle routes and times will be posted September 2012.
  • SABCS does not provide transportation from the airport to hotels.
-------------------------------------

Paula

“I hate the term ‘cancer victim’. It somehow implies cancer is the victor. It wins; we lose… While we can do little to choose whether we get cancer, we can do a lot to choose whether we are it’s victims. I don’t just mean whether we live or die. I mean how cancer affects us in the deepest parts of who we are. I believe cancer cannot conquer our spirit unless we choose to become victims .”
From the excellent book, “When God and Cancer Meet” by Lynn Eib

Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #16
rhondalea

I was just about to post a link to that page, Paula. Well done for getting it done.

Phil, if you look at the pictures from prior meetings, you'll see that the HER2Support group is ready for the catwalk, so there's no hope of jeans and sneakers while on duty.

As for me, all that unpacking I didn't do when we moved (almost five years ago) is in my very near future. <wondering where I put all my shoes> I may just go shopping instead. It'll be easier.

I started out very well organized--I had a plan. What I didn't take into account was a bunch of medical appointments, a hurricane and <gak!> Thanksgiving.

Here's hoping that I still work really well under time-pressure, or I'll be wrapping myself in a bedsheet.

6/19/12 MUGA 61%
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
karen z

really- most of us seem to have on a pair of pants/top/sweater or jacket. i have been known to wear jeans (or jeans out of cord or black jeans). i have not worn sneakers i don't think but have worn very very comfortable shoes ONLY- i have long given up any sort of heel whatsoever. as steph said, Joe could go from wearing a suit to wearing some amazing colorful vacation shirts (with a baseball cap i might add). i think you will find that the dress is pretty eclectic. unlike psychology conferences which I am more used to (where there are tons of jeans) the jeans may be dressier (or people may wear just basic pants) but i think that you are safe as long as you are comfortable and warm. honestly, you may end up having a long sweater or a coat on most of the time so jeans or regular pants are o.k. again, i don't own anything very dressy and i have managed fine. and when people find they need something (a scarf/gloves/another pair of pants).........they walk across the street to Macy's- with huge sales going on.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
karen z

Paula,
As far as "meeting up" you will always find some of us at the booth so remember that. We are hard to miss. And usually be the "day of" we know what we are going to at night or split up (depending on interests, etc.) to go to different things. But just about everyone always goes to the Mentor sessions- you will not want to miss any of those.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
StephN

Thanks Paula. The conference organizer is good at putting out the info we need.

However, for those of us in the HER2 group, we can share a cab and it will be cheaper than that shuttle. I have the arrival times of everyone and will let you know who to look for to share with. You also get to come directly to our hotel instead of stopping all over town to let others out.

It looks like three of us can leave in the same cab together on Saturday.

Paula, you may see if you can find people in Project Lead to share cabs with, unless you are arriving on Monday and then could share a cab with us.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Paty

I am so sad I will miss you this year! All the excitment and great conferences!! Sniff, sniff. Please keep us posted of the new advances in BC. Love you all.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote