HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #41
Jen

Re: Cannabis and cancer

CoolBreeze first of all I never claimed to have "found the cure for cancer" if that were the case my Mother Sheila wouldn't be in the condition she is in right now. I am not saying that "Cannabis IS the cure" because I simply at this point in time do not have the proof to back it up but I can say that EVERY chemo drug and radiation treatment that my Mother Sheila has taken was NOT the cure and the proof I have to back that up is progression. Please don't condemn me for trying to pick up where "conventional chemo and cancer treatments" have ended.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
Mary Jo

Good Morning Jen.....and all the rest of my her2 family. Reading all the many posts I read one underlying theme. Love. Love for each other here at her2support. We are a family. A family that cares and wants what's best for each other. I also read of the love so many share of their departed loved ones.

The one thing I came away with after reading all these many posts is death comes to us all. I lost my mom at age 47 of pancreatic cancer. I lost my father, last August of congestive heart failure. No matter how much we come to understand whatever ails any of us, sadly, (at least from an earthly perspective) "death" will come. However, for those who trust and believe Jesus as Savior and Lord, they will live on forever. I know many don't believe that, but I know it to be true. I've felt the Hand of Peace....the Hand Of God.....I know He is real.

Finally, I'd like to say to you Jen.......my heart breaks for you as I see how much you are fighting to keep your mom here with you. Oh, I understand that pain. I know how painful it is to say good bye. It's the worst earthly experience for any of us. Please know that I care and my prayers are with you. You are an awesome daughter. AWESOME! I pray when my time comes, that my family will do all they can to make sure everything has been done to help me.

With much love and care in my heart.......
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #43
sarah

Jen,
know that we all care about you and see how strongly you care about your mom and how hard you are fighting for her. You must take care of yourself. Have you talked to your doctor about taking anti-anxiety or anti depression pills? you are putting too much on your shoulders. I do hope you have in person people to support you.
hugs and love
sarah
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #44
AlaskaAngel

Hi Jen,

I would be among the last people to disagree with you about the question of choosing chemotherapies. Sheila is a very intelligent woman as we know, and her decisions were somewhat different from mine about it, and different from your feelings about that. Given that there is no sure answer for treatment for her, whether or not she chooses other types of drugs now and/or hospice, try to advise her as best you can and then give her the comfort of your support with her decisions. We care a lot about you both and are sorry for every bit of this struggle you both are dealing with.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #45
kklouisiana

I am wondering how many of you are pro medical marijuana. I asked my oncologist about smoking it today and he was shocked. He told me people who wanna smoke it try to defend it because they just want it. I am one who would love to smoke it and I have lately. It made me happy! He said it was worse than cigarettes for lung cancer, so now I am concerned...also, I want to get my breast scar tattooed but my BFF said tattoos don't look good when you grow older. Heck, we are 60 now , it would still be new in ten years so should I wait til I am older to get a tattoo?
tumor pT2, pNO, pMX
PQRI: 3260
began adria/cytoxan June 9 x 3wks x 4 then taxotere/herceptin 3wks x 4
kklouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #46
Laurel

As a child of the seventies I have absolutely no objection to marijuana, KKlousiana. In my opinion it is an innocuous drug, non-addicting, and should be legalized. I KNOW! Hey, I'm a conservative, too! Who says we are all a bunch of stuffed shirts! Ha! Hope I have not shocked anyone or offended. None intended.

As for tattoos I am not a fan, but to you I say, "why not?" Tattoos on skin that has lost its elasticity can look milky, but my bet is your newly tightened skin over your surgically altered breast is nice and taunt. I am a firm believer if something makes your feel better, or have an increased body image, then go for it!

Jen, there is a program tomorrow night (Thursday) on the Wealth network about marijuana and its "cure"for cancer. I will try to remember to tune in. It looks interesting. From the promos it appears there is a serum made from cannabis that arrests cancer. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Hope you have the opportunity to watch. Your mom is a wonderful lady. I can fully embrace your fervent desire to find something, anything, that sends this cancer crap back to hell where it belongs. There is no shame in this survival game. Good luck with your search.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #47
karen z

I do not have any "issues" with medical marihuana (although it was not available to me in 2005 in Georgia!). I have never heard that smoking grass is worse than smoking tobacco for lung cancer so that would certainly be an issue (but it wouldn't have to be smoked I don't think). I don't know about a tattoo. Personally I would be worried about the ink, etc. If I really wanted a tattoo (which I don't) I might try some other place........and small.......sort of a token tattoo. But I wouldn't do anything "spur of the moment" at the moment.......maybe go shopping.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #48
karen z

Laurel,
The Wealth network?
What is that? I am out of the loop!
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #49
europa

kklouisiana:

Not sure about cannabis. I do know that every cancer patient I have come across that has used it, never regret it. I knew a man that went through pancreatic cancer and would smoke marijuana several times a day during his treatment and thereafter. That was almost 20 years ago and he is still with us and still enjoys the occasional joint.

As for the tattoo, go for it! Tattoos do need to get touched up every couple of years or they do tend to blur a bit. I believe it's every 5 years for color tattoos and longer for black tattoos. I have been thinking of getting one. Just haven't decided what and where I would put it. I did get one when I was 23 years old. But I had it removed because it was not exactly what I wanted. The tattoo artist got a little too creative. So if you don't like it, you can always have it removed.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #50
Laurel

Karen,

We just switched from Comcast (connection issues) to Verizon fios and that is where I have discovered the Wealth channel. Mostly it has interesting tales about Europeans, inventors, great historic homes, etc. However, apparently they do exposes about such things as the benefits of marijuana.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #51
rhondalea

As of early 2012, marijuana is not believed to increase lung cancer risk (at least not over the 20 year period of the study):

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/1...h-lung-damage/

As of this week, however, it could cause psychosis in genetically vulnerable individuals:

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjourn...05550/abstract

Based on a) my lack of this polymorphism, and b) my really bad reaction every time I've ever smoked a joint, I'd say these researchers have more work to do.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #52
kklouisiana

the tattoo can be put on the back burner..i am not ashamed of my scar that kicked out cancer. my plastic surgeon is amazing in his work. he did a lot of lipo everytime he did a procedure and then he did an awesome tummy tuck, threw in a nice facelift, and made me the most amazing nipple i've ever seen which he will duplicate on the right breast in January.
tumor pT2, pNO, pMX
PQRI: 3260
began adria/cytoxan June 9 x 3wks x 4 then taxotere/herceptin 3wks x 4
kklouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #53
Jen

I am PRO POT for EVERY adult that CHOOSES to smoke and or ingest it and that includes recreational use as well.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #54
Ellie F

I think the research that smoking it may increase the risk of lung cancer has some value.However there does not seem to be any credible evidence that ingesting it causes this sort of problem!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote