HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
schoolteacher

Andi,

Thank you for your words and encouragement. I have been feeling down about waiting a month and a half for my tumors to shrink. It has been hard for me to deal with having BC because prior to this I was rarely sick or went to the doctor.

I try to keep my attitude positive; but two weeks ago when the oncologists told me the AC chemo was not working, I felt like I had hit a brick wall. After the Taxol treatment, I did feel better because I felt something had been done to stop my cancer.

I have to go Thursday and take my Herceptin; and I really wish, the oncologist would let me take another Taxol treatment. I know I need to keep my psyche focused on my mind helping to fight the cancer. I am not going to lie there are times that I feel very vulnerable to what is taking place in my body.

Reading the messages and talking to all the ladies who have faced what I am now facing helps me each and every day.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

To bring anything into your life, imagine that it's already there. Pinkie, I think that's what you did re your back surgery. Where your thinking is -- there is your experience.

IOW, See the impossible dream rather than the limitations -- and create miraculous results. I believe that if we carefully choose what we instill as a belief and what we focus all our attention on (vs concentrating on what we fear the most) we can create the realization of our dreams.... I have read: Lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons. The line speaks to me. Hope it does the same for you all. Amelia, I know it's a roller coaster ride. Hang on! Hang tough. Stay strong. You're in my thoughts... The same goes for: Michelle, Joanne, Paty, Deb. Madge, Lily, Ceesun, Maryls and Sheila! What a great group of ladies! Y'all rock in my book. Sending you all positive, healing energy and much LOVE...

Something I have found that I just have to share. Learning is finding out what you already know. (ALL THE ANSWERS LIE WITHIN YOU.)

Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you... Here's to your remembering and reawakening to the teachings of your Spirit!
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
Faith in Him

To speak to what Andi and Pink Girl's are saying. I read once about a man who had survived stage four cancer. When the nurse questioned him about still being around after having stage four cancer, he simply replied, " I did not realize I had a stage four cancer." He just assumed that he would survive and he did.

Thank you, Andi for your words of wisdom. I look forward to your posts and frequently re-read them as a pick- me- up when I'm feeling down.

Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
pat

Hello all... I am new to this and do not know what to do really. I have her2positive breast cancer and will start cemo next wed. I will have 4 months of treatments and then go on herceptin every 3 week for 17 treatments. they say it will not be bad...but I would really like to know how you feel taking herceptin......worried in NC...Pat
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #25
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

Hi Pat! Welcome to this board. We are all Sisters here, so feel free to speak your mind.

So very sorry you have found yourself in the position of having to deal w/breast cancer. But this is a great place to have been led to. Wish I'd had such a place back when I was dx.

I have found Herceptin to be *the easy chemo*. In actuality it is a *monoclonal antibody* which is like a smart bomb, targeting only the defective HER2 gene. Which is not to say there aren't some side effects. I have learned that every cancer is different (so many variants make each unique). And each person's body responds differently to drugs. My husband, who is 6' tall and much bigger than me, cannot tolerate drugs I have no problem with. So I can only say, we are each individuals. Some have harsher side effects than others. For me, Herceptin (Vitamin H as I lovingly call it) leaves me fatigued. I get regular ECHO cardiograms to make sure my heart is functioning w/o impediments. My EF (ejection fraction) is over 50%. Thin nails that split and peel easily and refuse to grow, dry cuticles. AND, it is saving my life and keeping metastases at bay!! I'M IN LOVE.

I wish you the best of results. Tell us about you please. Where do you live? What would your signature look like (based on others you see hear). This helps us get to KNOW you a bit better, and to address your questions and feelings w/a degree of understanding over the obvious. I think you will find many on this site are glad to embrace you and try to help guide through what can be a scary experience. Knowledge is power, as I'm sure you know. We all try to face bc not just intellectually, but w/every possible aspect of our being. Addressing the whole person, body, mind and Soul, is the best of approaches to me. And I believe most of us feel we have grown to be more than we ever imagined possible from this unwanted reality. Hope you will find the same to be true for you, Pat.

Any more questions -- ask away!
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #26
PinkGirl

I like that one Faith - a guy survives stage 4
cancer because he doesn't know he is stage 4.

I keep thinking of examples of this that have nothing
to do with health matters.

I once drove around town and about 10 miles out on
the highway and back, wondering why there wasn't
much traffic. I thought maybe it was a holiday that I
had forgotten about. I was out driving for hours, got
home and saw my neighbour's car in her driveway. I
called her and asked why she hadn't gone to work -
she said because of the black ice. The police had asked
everyone to stay off the roads. I didn't know about the
black ice and didn't have one problem - of course I had
the highway to myself! If I had known about it, I am sure
I would have slid into a ditch!

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink

CHECK OUT PSYCHONEUROIMMUNOLOGY...

Of course, we are all human. Of course we all have dark, dreary, scary, uncertain, awful thoughts and imagery to contend with. How could you go through our experience and not?!

The task at hand is to address such feelings, acknowledge them, vent them and then rid ourselves of them as quickly as we possibly can. The task is daunting, granted. But the rewards are grand! We feel better emotionally. And therefore, our Loved Ones feel better. So it's a gift we give ourselves, and others!!

We boost our immune systems as we raise our Spirits. It's a win/win situation! Be well all!

With love always,
<B>Andi

Click here: Psychoneuroimmunology

</B>

Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #28
PinkGirl

Until you develop a healthy, conscious, creative and unconditional relationship to happiness you will always experience unhappiness.
(Robert Holden)

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #29
Joan M

Andi,

Thanks for your inspirational posts. Cancer is something we have to deal with, but when I'm challenged by this disease, I try to think about something I read.

What Cancer Cannot Do
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendships
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the Spirit

I'm grateful every day when I wake up, and I've been immensely encouraged by everyone in this community.
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #30
Bill

Awesome, Joan! Thanks for that post!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #31
Diana1993

I just had a long self absorbed post and lost it when I pushed the wrong button. But I want to thank Andi for her post. I have read Deepek Chopra for years, and now Echert Tolle's The Awakening. I joined the Oprah book club and was on line Monday night. I know I must go in for answers, and seek guidance as to the next steps I should take in this journey. My onc says I have beaten the odds so many times and I attibute it by be active and forgetting about it. After dx I took up guitar lessons, yoga, and linedancing. Going to plays and local theatre have brought enjoyment. Once I get this hand/foot syndrome under control I plan on forgetting I have cancer again. Does anyone experience, oh heck, enough is enough?
Diana1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #32
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink

Joan, thank you. I have seen those powerful words about WHAT CANCER CANNOT DO before. A copy of it was in one of my oncologist's offices. I had a nurse Xerox it for me. It's in one of *my piles*, someplace around here. I am soooo glad to have it in front of me now!

I derived great strength from what I realized that canser can't do. It helped my mental imagery (that was hooked on how all-powerful this nasty disease is) gain ground. I have learned to *use* LOVE and the SERENITY that comes from BELIEVING in the power of my thoughts and my ability to control my thoughts (versus the other way around) -- to heal and stay healthy and well. THIS AWARENESS IS A REMARKABLE TOOL. And that was a huge Lesson for me! It took me over half a century of living to discover we could actually do this! I had thought I was a helpful victim of my haunting, taunting thinking and the images that plagued me.

I have found that we are each awesomely PERSONALLY EMPOWERED! What a Life Lesson!

It is wondrous that canser can't invade my Soul, conquer my Spirit or steal eternal life! I KNOW this is true, deep in my heart. It resonates.

I just want everyone to read your post, Joan! May those ideas permeate your consciousness, my Sisters, and give you the courage and resolve to keep moving forward...

Sending loving, healing energy to you all,
Andi

Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #33
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Ohhhh Billlllll......

Bill, I love Joan's post too. BUT....shame on you because I wrote this months ago in "Daily Inspirational Quotes" and this proves you need to keep reading and stop UTTERING!!!! ROTFL>> Lots of Love>>Believe51

PS: Bill, you make me smile everyday!!
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #34
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Dear Diana...

To the darling dancing Diana! I am impressed w/your attitude. And your reading list! I have read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, but will now seek out The Awakening. He is brilliant. Have you delved into Wayne Dyer's books? Your Sacred Self is one of my favs, but I actually have read about 10 of his books. And watched him on PBS, taking notes.

My onc says I am in the 1% club. I ask him why he thinks that is (believing it has to do w/thought control, harnessing our natural ability to heal ourselves, the supplements I take faithfully each day, plus daily mediation and guided imagery -- in addition of course, to my wonderful docs and surgeons and nurses). My onc shrugs and says -- you're lucky. He is forever telling me, w/ea hurdle, you're very lucky. The man is in research. You'd think inquiring minds would want to know, investigate, question...!

Please tell me more about linedancing! Sounds so fun. Doing anything w/passion is healing I think. Therapeutic in fact. For me writing serves this purpose. We must each find where our *passion* lies.

I must say that for me there are constant reminders that I have fought the fight. But please don't think it's all behind me. I live with it. Emphasis on LIVE. I have the battle scars, which remind me that I am strong, brave and determined. I have the absence of eyebrows (yuck!) and most of my eyelashes, which remind me that my heart is radiant and my Soul full of wisdom I must listen for. Wherever I turn, I am reminded of what I have sacrificed and no longer have the luxury of but I choose not to let such realities bring me down. I refuse to waste a single hour of any day that has been granted to me. I live full of love, compassion, appreciation, awe and clear focused Intention and great Expectations. I reject the thoughts that come (and they do still come) that scare me to tears or fill me w/anger, blame, resentment, hatred, the inability to forgive and all that can only serve to weaken us and bring us down.
I WISH YOU JOY AND SERENITY, COURAGE AND STRENGTH, MY SISTERS!
Andi

Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #35
Bill

Andi, "Lucky", my left butt, you make your own luck. Your doc. sounds really great, but everything you do and have done, and your attitude and mindset makes your luck. Same for everybody. Prayer, meditation, etc., (Marie, I cyberly (is that a word, "cyberly", omg did I just coin a new word?) bow my head to you in apology, obviously, I haven't done my homework.) (I know all of you propellerheads are thinking, "cybernetically", but I like "cyberly" better now- it saves on ink and it's easier to spell) Love to you all, Bill
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #36
PinkGirl

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
Lucius Seneca 5 BC-65 AD
(not Oprah)

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #37
Bill

Lady Pink, you've trumped me again. I cyberly bow my head to you as well.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #38
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink I Just Can't Buy Thelife Is A Crap Shoot Theory...

Hey Bill, thanks, I appreciate the acknowledgement of my busting my fanny to get my Spirit, the Universe, God and my Spiritual Teachers and Guides who walk with me to collude, along w/my docs, surgeons and nurses to keep me well and healthy!

As you say, Pinkie, LUCK IS WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS AND YOU ANSWER. Or, LUCK HAS A PECULIAR HABIT OF FAVORING THOSE WHO DON'T DEPEND ON IT!

Andi

Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #39
harrie

Andi,
Wow, the words you wrote were very spiritual and powerful. This past year, I have begun to understand just what you are saying. I feel like I am starting to get a clear understanding of the management of life in a spiritual way. I feel like my knowledge and understanding is, at this point, just the tip of the iceberg, but it is very exciting yet challenging to feel that I am "seeing the light".
It seems to me that what I am personally trying to achieve is the control of my thoughts and emotions to the situations that come my way. I cannot control events that come to me, but I can control my reaction and choices made. I believe what I am trying to discipline most is my ego. What I am trying to develop most is my spirit.
I am try to balance being with doing.
My resolution for this year is to try to be more conscious of the thoughts and feelings that enter my head and to be aware of h my physical reaction. To me, that is a good start in alleviating stress and keeping things in the positive mode.
......my thoughts.....
And Andi, thank you for taking the time to share your spirituality with us.
Aloha, Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #40
harrie

When you let go a little bit....you find a little happiness...
When you let go a lot, ....you will find a lot of happiness....
When you let go completely.....you find peace....

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote