HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #41
Marily

Hi Kat, When our "group" would meet we came to the conclusion that everyone with Cancer needs a "happy pill" Life is hard but when you add cancer to it ... It is good to have something that helps you to handle it better. I also have been given "Cancer Buddies" through the years, not Herceptin patients or even breast cancer patients. I found a lot of them were not only frightened but dealing with depression. An antidepressant, and learning to look at things in very small amounts,Is very helpful.We have to handle so much and seeing down the road too far becomes overwelming, So take on only a minute at a time... or an hour at a time or a day.. is something that I try to encourage each to do.. Also exercise in even small amounts really does help get the endorphens going, and that ability to deal with things in a better way becomes stronger
take care, Marily
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:03 AM   #42
Susan2

Hi Kat,

I'm 45 and live in Atlanta with my 2 kids, one's in high school and one's in elementary school . When it recurred 6 years after initial diagnosis, it came back in a lymph node near the chest wall - close to original site. They also think it was in my lungs. I refused a lung biopsy, so we will never know for sure. After 6 months of Navelbine and Herceptin, my Pet scan was clear. YEAH!! The lungs were clear on the scan - so the drs. are operating under the assumption that it was lung mets and that it responded to treatment. I try to be very active. I work with a personal trainer 2 times a week and play tennis. We are taking a trip in a few weeks to celebrate. My kids are doing fine. I try to take a nap most days and they accept that I need to do that. I would rather be very active and stop and rest than moderate my activity without napping. Now that I'm off the Navelbine, I nap much less often. Once it's completely gone, I'm optimistic that I'll be back to normal. The kids have been told, but we treat it as no big deal. When I first met with my dr. 6 1/2 years ago, she told me that she had a Stage IV patient that had lived 20 years and that's using the old medicine. If she could live for 20 years, I can do that - and more. My kids know that if anything changes, I'll tell them - until then, we love life and each other. I hope your boys enjoy the concert.

Have fun and make some happy memories for yourself!
Susan
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #43
lucas4310@sbcglobal.net

this is my 1st post.i am stage iv breast ca and get herceptin weekly and chemo every 3 wks taxol/carbplatin? ive had 6 herceptin and 2 chemo and have lost just about every hair on my body. i will take everything there is to offer me but am always tired..any ideas to boost my energy ..i have had 2 injections of procrit..thanx audrey
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #44
Unregistered

katcdale@yahoo.com

Hi Audrey,
Try to take it easy, and enjoy not dealing with Hair! Now that mine is coming back, I can see how easy it was not having any. I did get some scarves to tie around my head and a couple of caps. I had a wig, but never used it. I did take procrit each week for 4 wks. I really can't remember if it helped me have energy, like the Onc. said. I was achey and asked for pain pills-- I hate to sound like an addict, but the pain pills really helped. The downside was that I overdid, and my family still thought I could do as much as I could before the chemo.---- and now it has finally caught up with me --and my family can't understand why I am not cleaning,etc....---so, rest for a while at first, then try to walk to give you some energy/wake you up. Do you have children & husband?? Let them see you like you feel, but you know men do not like to hear alot of complaints, at least mine don't. I am going to start doing only one chore per day. That's all I can handle now.
I may ask my family doctor/Onc. for an antidepressant. I have been on them before, and I may try again. Let me know how you are--Kat in the delta
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #45
Unregistered

Marily,
I have taken an antidepressant before-- zoloft and then prozac. I still have some paxil that I decided not to take. I think I will talk to the Onc./family dr.
I don't like it making me a little sleepy at first, but, at this point, I think it would help me. Only 2 of my boys went to the Willie Nelson concert. They had a blast. Only 200 tickets were sold--glad I bought 4. They took some of their friends with them. Willie has starting a new ethenol (Alternative to gas) Co. here with Morgan Freeman and an Atty. By the way, Morgan heard my youngest son on the piano downtown at a restaurant one nite and came and sat by him on the bench for a few minutes. He asked William questions while William kept playing--I think he couln't even answer Morgan. Kat in the Delta
Old 03-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #46
Unregistered

katcdale@yahoo.com

Susan2,
The note to Marily also goes to you---Kat in the delta
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #47
Unregistered

Hair loss, etc.

Hi,
I have definitely noticed a loss in eyelash and eyebrow hair since I started Herceptin 9 months ago. I had TAC chemotherapy before this and managed to keep my eyelashes and brows but now am losing more hair. Also, after several herceptin treatments, my fingernails are thinning and breaking off where they remained super strong during my TAC chemo. Other than that, I have also gained 10 pounds since I started Herceptin. Any comments on weight gain?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #48
julierene

Runny Nose, Thinning Eyebrows and Lashes, Aching Joints, Eye Twiches

1. Headaches
2. Thinning Eyebrows and Lashes
3. Aching Joints
4. Eye Twiches and tiny bit of dizziness - hard time focusing that's noticable when I read.
5. Insomnia, yet VERY tired
6. Weak nails - I need to work on the nail vitamins!
7. Runny Nose

At least my hair only thins on Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin. I thought I was going to loose it again for the 3rd time.

Last edited by julierene; 03-28-2006 at 12:29 PM..
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #49
DeeM

Hi all,

I have been on herception and zometa for 4 years with no other chemo for 3 years. And no progession with my bones mets in 4 years (thank you god!) But new to this site. I have had the same issues as mentioned on this thread for 3 years.
Bad breaking fingernails!
Used to have thick hair, now thin and slow growing
Thin thin thin eyebrows and eye lashes
And a runny nose that never quits!!!!!
A hard time focusing to read especially when I first get up in the morning.

I just find this all very interesting. By the way, I am not complaining. Small prices to pay for no progression in 4 years!

Thanks
Dee
DeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #50
katcdale@yahoo.com

Location: Mississippi Delta, birthplace of the Blues, across the street from Super Chikan and down from Daddy Rich, with illiamWeejyRogers@myspace is(son),in a multicultural neighborhood ,flat for miles, with fields of cotton,soybeans, turning corn fields town, all musician come here, beside MS River,
katcdale@yahoo.com

DeeM
That's great you've been free for 4 yrs!!! I complained about my bones being achey one time, and my Onc. gave me zometa. I had fever of 101+ and it made me really hurt more for about 3 or 4 days. But, Zometa is used for people with oseteoporis ---given 1x per year. How often are your getting the herceptin and zometa????????? kat in the delta
katcdale@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #51
DeeM

Kat,

I get my herception every two weeks and zometa once a month however onc is thnking about changing zometa to once every two months.

Dee
DeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #52
Andi

I received dose dense A/C x 4, then 12 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, and am currently taking Herceptin every three weeks (just completed #6 of these yesterday) as well as 6 weeks of radiation. I lost my hair with the A/C but not my eyebrows and lashes, but with the Taxol I lost my eyebrows and body hair, but the hair on my head started to grow back slowly. After the Taxol my eyebrows have grown back (kind of bushy right now) I also had long facial hair on my jawline, but when I talked to a lady at a spa to have them waxed off, she advised me to wait because they would fall out on their own, which they have. All of my hair is growing at a normal pace now. I get a runny nose for a few days after my infusion as well as a hearty appetite. I haven't had body aches, but do have a stiffness in my achilles whenever I get up from sitting or laying down.

I have found the information regarding everyone's herceptin experience very helpful.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #53
katcdale@yahoo.com

Location: Mississippi Delta, birthplace of the Blues, across the street from Super Chikan and down from Daddy Rich, with illiamWeejyRogers@myspace is(son),in a multicultural neighborhood ,flat for miles, with fields of cotton,soybeans, turning corn fields town, all musician come here, beside MS River,
katcdale@yahoo.com

Marily,
How have you been?? I told my sister that I had written about not having energy or being able to clean my house. You had written me back and told me that it took you 5 yrs. til you were able to start cleaning and getting into corners, etc.... My sister laughed and said, "that herceptin "must" be a Miracle Drug---expecially if It would help (ME) clean my corners",,, HA!!!!--- I have never been the neatest housekeeper, although I always do my best. My sister's husband runs the vacuum, folds all their clothes, so her house is immaculate--so disgusting!!!!
She also kicked her 2 sons(5 yrs.apart@31&36yrs old now) after highschool. Mine are still returning and 2 still in college---my husband does nothing in the house----That's why she laughed about cleaning after 5 yrs.
Well I took Prozac for 3 days and had a migraine, so I decided not to take it anymore. I need to pack all of my in-laws and my boys, and my things, and hurry and move out of this house. The neighborhood is declining fast. I'm afraid if I don't put this house up for sale in the next few weeks, I'll be in bad shape. Most of the nice people have moved out or have their house for sale. I overdid the aerobics and walking. Now, my knee is is pain!!! I'm really thin at 103 lbs--5'2'', but it hurts to been down!!!!!!!!!!!! What's going on with you or anyone else reading this??? Kat in the Delta
katcdale@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote