HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Rab

Cognitive impairment

I hope maybe someone can give me advice. My sister has her2 er pos. Pr neg. cancer And has been battling this for three years. She has been through treatment the entire time. Tdm1 was the latest before she was diagnosed with brain mets. She has over 50 lesions with the largest 2cm. She has finished wbrt and is now on xledoda and Tykerb.

Her cognitive impairment is such that she cannot be left alone and is like a 2 year old at times. Her executive functions and motor skills are impaired. I have tried to study her situation online and there is not a lot of studies with brain mets and severe cognitive decline in her2 patients. All studies discuss brain mets. In her2 with good functionality.

I guess what I am asking.... Is there any hope? Before the brain mets she has stable progression but not in vital organs. Just local regional. We are getting ct. Scans next weeks of abdominal and chest,ect.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Lisalou

Re: Cognitive impairment

There are some good posts from Rhondalea about managing cognitive impairment, you search for her post by name. I would request a consult with a neurologist to see what options maybe available. It's great for your sister to have you to advocate for her. Good luck to both of you!
Lisa
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
2/14/14 BRCA results negative
2/17/2014 skin & nipple sparing BMX with reconstruction Tissue expanders placed
IDC Stage 2A left breast. 9mm tumor no other CA 1/4 nodes positive
ER + PR + Her2 +(by FISH)
Right breast no cancer, sclerosing adenosis
3/13/14 Round 1 AC minimal side effects
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
4/10/14 Round 3 a little more nausea
4/24/14 round 4 hurray! Done with phase 1!
5/8/14 THP ( taxol weekly x12, Herceptin & perjeta every 3 weeks x 4)
7/24/14 done with chemo
Continue of Herceptin every 3 wks x 1 yr
5/14 start Tamoxifen x 5 years
8/18/14 removal of TEs silicone implants placed
9/14/14 Cellulitis Right Breast, suspect infected implant. Managed with Oral antibiotics, avoided surgery to remove implant. Whew!
12/17/14 nip & tuck revision of Left breast

We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, not in daring to come to grips with it. We must do that which we think we cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Lisalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Rab

I guess I should also say when I say cognitive impairment I am sugar coating things. It is severe decline. She cannot write,she is putting things in mouth,doesn't understand what hot means. She has to be watched 24/7. It is the absolute saddest thing I have ever experienced. A once bright,vibrant spirit is virtually gone.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Pat94

I have no words of wisdom. I just want you to know my prayers will include you and your sister. I do know that brains can have "retraining" so another neural pathway can take over the functioning of a damaged section. Get her referred to a therapist immediately. The sooner she can start therapy the better the chance she can recover partially if not completely.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote