HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Mtngrl

Managing Diarrhea

I thought I'd pass on what I've figured out about managing diarrhea, and ask others for their "best practices."

Since starting on Herceptin and Perjeta I've had diarrhea or at least cramps/gas pains just about every day. Immodium always helps, but if I overshoot, then I can have constipation. I've hit upon a few strategies that seem to help:
  • Probiotics. I started taking one formulated for people over 50. It has three kinds of bifidobacterium and four kinds of lactobacillus. I also eat yogurt just about every day. I make my own Greek yogurt.
  • Fiber. I know some folks think fiber exacerbates intestinal distress, but for me it helps a great deal. I eat whole grains, fruits, and vegetables every day. I'm considering adding some psyllium husk too.
  • Water. I'm not a big water drinker, but diarrhea can make you dehydrated, so I try to be mindful.
  • Taking Immodium defensively. As soon as I notice my stomach hurting or my intestines gurgling I take one pill (Loperamide HCL, 2 mg.) Most of the time, that stops it before it starts.
What about you? What helps?
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
linzer

Re: Managing Diarrhea

I agree with the fiber, water, and probiotics (although I was advised against it by a NP because she said that sometimes when immunity is down the probiotic can encourage growth of bacteria - not sure I agree with that). I don't use Immodium because it gave me horrible stomach pains. Instead, I took L-glutamine powder - 30 grams (yes grams) a day. It worked miracles for me and also prevented neuropathy. I just finished my 12th taxol and walked away neuropathy free, thankfully. It may have been the glutamine, or maybe it would have worked out that way anyway. Regardless, I'll take it!
linzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Mtngrl,
I'm only dealing with diarrhea that results IF I don't maintain a consistent intake pattern (due to using very low-dose metformin), but your post interested me because you and I are using exactly the same strategies. Mine are targeted in part not just to deal with occasional diarrhea but mainly to address the constant weight gain I have if I don't do all of those things. The one other thing that I have to do that you might think about in some way is to add in some kind of daily exercise if you aren't already doing that. It does actually help me somehow to reduce the diarrhea -- maybe through some fluid elimination, I don't know. It kind of fascinates me that we are doing the same things, even if for somewhat different reasons.

I'm using Nancy's organic yogurt, but would also like to try making my own.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
thinkpositive

After I stopped the chemo and was taking only Herceptin, diarrhea wasn't much of a problem for me. However, when it was a problem I would take 2 Imodium's (2 mg loperamide HCI each) and that took care of it.
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Mtngrl

Linzer,

I hadn't thought of Glutamine for diarrhea. I used it for neuropathy to good effect (though not consistently while I was on Kadcyla). I'll try it.

Of course probiotics ARE bacteria, and the reason for taking them is to support the immune system, so your NP was right but drew the wrong conclusions from it. Most of what's in our gut is microorganisms. The theory is that the "gut biome" is an important part of keeping us healthy--both immune system and metabolism. The reason for taking probiotics (and ingesting foods that are good "prebiotics" that the friendly bugs like to eat) is to maintain an optimal gut environment. Some people actually get "fecal transplants" to restore their gut biome when all else fails in treating certain illnesses. (Google that--it's fascinating.)

AA--I live in Boston and don't have a car, so my life includes at least a half hour of walking most days. I'd like to add some weight training and yoga, both of which I've done before but not right now. I agree that exercise seems to be a magic bullet for all kinds of maladies.

I'm about to start on Xeloda (on top of Herceptin and Perjeta.) One of its listed side effects is diarrhea. Wish me luck!
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
DizzyDo

Hi Mtngrl -

I am also on the Herceptin/Perjeta combo, having dropped the taxol in late May. The big D is a struggle and was horrible at first, with the help of the nurses where I get treated, I worked out the following which is similar to yours:

Immodium: One daily in the AM right before breakfast. I take 2 the morning of an infusion and for a couple of days afterwards.

Food: I eat 3 meals with small snacks in between. No spicey food. Limit 1 cup of coffee daily, no other caffeine. (I really miss the coffee!). I also have fiber in my diet through whole grains.

Probiotics: I was doing good belly drinks, but I have switched to yogurt with live cultures about a month ago. This works well for me.

Exercise: daily walking 30 - 45 min. I am planning to start doing elliptical machines in the next couple of weeks - my onc just gave his approval and the area I live in is not conducive to the walks in the winter due to rain.

This works for me most of the time, but not 100 percent so I am very interested in others tips of the trade so to say... Thank you for starting this thread and to all that responded.
Jan 2014: stage 4. pain right side, found "too many to individually account for" liver mets. Found right axilla lymph nodes and nearby mass (source). Lung, lymph and bone mets. Brain clear by MRI. Er and pr neg, HER2 +++
Feb 2014: herceptin, perjeta, taxol
July 2014: no active disease, only bone scars and 1 liver scar! Tumor markers all normal again.
Dec 2014: seizure, 3 brain mets (15, 5 and 3 mm)
Feb 2015: Linac Stereotactic Radiation for brain mets
June 2015: no new brain mets, old ones greatly reduced in size. Bod still no active disease
October 2015: New brain Met, zapped by Stereotactic rads, watching another spot
Jan 2016: The other spot grew, zapped again. Still on herceptin and perjeta every 3 weeks
DizzyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
LizzElliot

my experience is you are on track with adding psyllium husk. I used it when D was an issue for me. It soothes the stomach and does provide relief from D as much as it would seem otherwise.
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
KatherineM

Lizz -

Did psyllium husk ever cause constipation? On chemo, I swung dramatically from one extreme to the other, and now I want to just maintain good "biome" health. My natural state tends more to constipation, so I want to do the fiber, but without the C.
Started TCHP 4/25/14 - 6 rounds
Oncologist can no longer feel tumor, after 4th round
Chemo shrunk tumor to less than a mm
Lumpectomy and axillary node dissection 9/3/14
Radiation for 5 weeks, with boost
Herceptin until 4/3/15
CT Scan on 4/27 shows lung mets (lots of little ones on both sides, largest 1.6 cm) STAGE IV
Lung biopsy shows still HER2+++/ER-/PR-
Taxol with Herceptin and Perjeta May, June, July 2015
Lung mets reduced by 50%
Just H&P through Fall 2015
11/15 Progression
Back on Taxol with H&P January 2016
THP no longer working March 2016
Start Kadcyla 3/16 After first treatment, experienced low platelets, tongue turned black, had to have transfusion. Dry cough and shortness of breath for first week, improves over second and third.
4/16 Platelet transfusion after second treatment, blood blisters in mouth. Allergic reaction to platelets.
6/16 Kadcyla not working. Progression to liver, though lung mets smaller.
7/16 Start Xeloda and Tykerb.
11/16 Port infected. Taken out. Have to go off chemo.
1/17 Back on Xeloda and Tykerb
5/17 Tykerb and Herceptin
11/17 Navelbine and Herceptin
12/17 Progression in lungs, liver reevaluated, no progression
1/18 Haloven and Herceptin
2/18 Sloan Kettering consultation
3/18 Brain mets, 16 lesions, largest 16mm
3/18 Cyberknife to 16mm lesion
3/18 Haloven and Tykerb added
4/18 Scan shows all lesions significantly smaller! Some almost gone. Radiation oncologist says she's never seen anything like it
7/18 Brain scan shows progression, w/ with one new lesion. Don't want to do WBR. Will try for tucatinib.
8.15.18 Start Keytruda
KatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
LizzElliot

Hi Katherine,
No, not for me. Nearly 20 years ago, i started putting a heaping tablespoon of psyllium (metamucil sugar free smooth texture orange, which I could get at Costco) in a big shaker bottle, with cold water and lots of ice. I would chug it on my way to work. It was recommeneded by one of my docs when I was dealing with an acid/ulcer-prone stomach, because it coats the stomach. It never gave me diarreah nor was I ever constipated. Regular like clockwork each morning. But moreso, no raging stomach aches.
(The shaker bottle and ice help keep the mixture liquid while you drink it. Of course otherwise, it starts to thicken jelly-ish if it stands too long -- a lovely thing in the tummy, not so lovely in a glass.)
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
LizzElliot

For those who had good results with Glutamine, can you tell me what brand and techniques you used? I originally bought the powder to mix into water and drink. It didn't go well with my post-chemo mouth. Then I bought chewables, and I must admit, they are not so yummy to chew. Would be interested to know what form of Glutamine worked for others!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Mtngrl

I just use Glutamine gel caps from one of those "fitness" stores. Body builders use it. I had some around from a previous bout of neuropathy, which mostly went away. I started taking them again (though 10 gms a day, not 30) and it certainly couldn't hurt. I have a son who has Type 1 diabetes, and he takes it for diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/31/17 Port placement
Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Saygoon

I'm on Perjeta, Taxol, Herceptin. Thanks Ladies for all the wonderful info. I have found it helps to eat several small meals a day instead of larger meals. Whenever I eat a "regular meal" it goes right thru me. As my Mother would have said, "Like a goose eating liver" I will try all of your suggestions - sounds like good advice!
Herceptin, Zometa, Taxotere and Anasterole and of course radiation
2/14/2014 2 mets on pelvic bone
Stop Anasterole continue on Herceptin and Zometa start radiation (again)
2/24/2014 start T-DM1 continue Herceptin and Zometa
4/28 more radiation that brings total to 5 (10 days ea) - I think I will soon glow in the dark....
6/01/2014 Great news! Rib mets gone, 4 of 5 spine mets showing new bone growth and pelvic mets shrinking.
8/28/2014 T11 on spine is being stubborn started Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa and Taxol - goodbye hair!
9/04/2014 Tomo therapy - pain finally gone
1/3/2015 - starting New Year out as still stable. Feeling positive
2/23/2015 - problems with left leg, bone met flaring up - MORE radiation Whew!
2/24/2015 Stress fracture in right side of pelvic - (great just great) back to wheelchair then walker then.....
2/26/2015 Off Taxol!! Still on Perjeta, Herceptin and Hormone Blocker starting to feel a little more human.
4/10/2015 Cancer has spread to spinal fluid - not sure where I go from here
6/29/2015 Omaya Port placed,begin IT Herceptin on 7/7/2015
Saygoon is offline   Reply With Quote