HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
fullofbeans

greed and desperation a match made in heaven

A lovely friend of mine has already bought me some Oleuropein to bring me back and is asking if I think she should get more from where she is on holiday at the moment because she was told it is very powerful blah blah blah backed up by research..

What do you think of the article below?

H2RC corporation has done the research..maybe I have become a cynical but I smell a rat.

Is it just me or are you also fed up that on one hand have regulations/big pharma that make it impossible to get things that may help you before another 10 years of trial and funding many of the small biotech cannot afford..and on the other hand, greedy people who manage to publish fake results without fear of being caught..

Oleuropein, a non-toxic olive iridoid, is an anti-tumor agent and cytoskeleton disruptor.
Hamdi HK, Castellon R.
Source
H2RC Corporation, 1920 E. Katella Avenue, Suite U, Orange, CA 92867, USA. hkhamdi@gmail.com
Abstract
Oleuropein, a non-toxic secoiridoid derived from the olive tree, is a powerful antioxidant and anti-angiogenic agent. Here, we show it to be a potent anti-cancer compound, directly disrupting actin filaments in cells and in a cell-free assay. Oleuropein inhibited the proliferation and migration of advanced-grade tumor cell lines in a dose-responsive manner. In a novel tube-disruption assay, Oleuropein irreversibly rounded cancer cells, preventing their replication, motility, and invasiveness; these effects were reversible in normal cells. When administered orally to mice that developed spontaneous tumors, Oleuropein completely regressed tumors in 9-12 days. When tumors were resected prior to complete regression, they lacked cohesiveness and had a crumbly consistency. No viable cells could be recovered from these tumors. These observations elevate Oleuropein from a non-toxic antioxidant into a potent anti-tumor agent with direct effects against tumor cells. Our data may also explain the cancer-protective effects of the olive-rich Mediterranean diet.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 06-28-2011 at 01:11 PM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: greed and desperation a match made in heaven

That abstract was from 2005. It's impressive since it has both lab dish as well as mouse study with oral route. probably helpful to know how much orally. Here's what pubmed lists currently: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...opein%20cancer
Unfortunately not much outside of petri dish analysis. maybe this wasn't patentable and they couldn't come up with a synthetic version. That seems to be the usual method for cashing in on/propelling forward natural compounds.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
fullofbeans

Actually I was not in the right mood (long story) when I posted and did not like the sounds of a one man company called h2rc corporation..

but looking at it a bit more there is quite a lot to Oleuropein from other research, thanks Rich for the pub med which I usually would have checked but like I said was in a strange mood. I will get the paper and see what dose they used for mice, which is a poor indication but still an indication.. And yes I agreed with you too that many unpatentable/non synthec'able' are not studied.

Yes I will ask my friend to bring more she was told that I should take it along grape seed extract.

Oleuropein is particularly good for her2:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...4/?tool=pubmed

Menendez et al. [53] showed that oleuropein aglycone is the most potent phenolic compound in decreasing breast cancer cell viability. HER2 oncogene-amplified SKBR3 cells were ∼5-times more sensitive to oleuropein aglycone than HER2-negative MCF-7 cells.

Subsequently, Menendez et al. [54] showed that the secoiridoids deacetoxy oleuropein aglycone, ligstroside aglycone, and oleuropein aglycone, induce strong tumoricidal effects within a micromolar range by selectively triggering high levels of apoptotic cell death in HER2-overexpressing breast carcinomas. These compounds markedly depleted HER2 protein and reduced HER2 tyrosine autophosphorylation in a dose- and time-dependent manner [54].

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..

Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Last edited by fullofbeans; 06-28-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
fullofbeans

BMC Cancer. 2007 May 9;7:80.
Olive oil's bitter principle reverses acquired autoresistance to trastuzumab (Herceptin) in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer cells.
Menendez JA, Vazquez-Martin A, Colomer R, Brunet J, Carrasco-Pancorbo A, Garcia-Villalba R, Fernandez-Gutierrez A, Segura-Carretero A.
Source
Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO)-Health Services Division of Catalonia, Spain. jmenendez@ico.scs.es
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
A low incidence of breast cancer in the Mediterranean basin suggests that a high consumption of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) might confer this benefit. While the anti-HER2 oncogene effects of the main omega-9 fatty acid present in EVOO triacylglycerols (i.e., oleic acid) have been recently described, the anti-breast cancer activities of EVOO non-glyceridic constituents--which consist of at least 30 phenolic compounds--remained to be evaluated.

METHODS:
Semi-preparative HPLC was used to isolate EVOO polyphenols (i.e., tyrosol, hydroxytyrosol, oleuropein). Both the anti-proliferative and the pro-apoptotic effects of EVOO phenolics were evaluated by using MTT-based quantification of metabolically viable cells and ELISA-based detection of histone-associated DNA fragments, respectively. The nature of the interaction between oleuropein aglycone and the anti-HER2 monoclonal antibody trastuzumab (Herceptin) was mathematically evaluated by the dose-oriented isobologram technique. HER2-specific ELISAs were employed to quantitatively assess both the basal cleavage of the HER2 extracellular domain (ECD) and the expression level of total HER2. The activation status of HER2 was evaluated by immunoblotting procedures using a monoclonal antibody specifically recognizing the tyrosine phosphorylated (Phosphor-Tyr1248) form of HER2.

RESULTS:
Among EVOO polyphenols tested, oleuropein aglycone was the most potent EVOO phenolic in decreasing breast cancer cell viability. HER2 gene-amplified SKBR3 cells were ~5-times more sensitive to oleuropein aglycone than HER2-negative MCF-7 cells. Retroviral infection of the HER2 oncogene in MCF-7 cells resulted in a "SKBR3-assimilated" phenotype of hypersensitivity to oleuropein aglycone. An up to 50-fold increase in the efficacy of trastuzumab occurred in the presence of oleuropein aglycone. A preclinical model of acquired autoresistance to trastuzumab (SKBR3/Tzb100 cells) completely recovered trastuzumab sensitivity (> 1,000-fold sensitization) when co-cultured in the presence of oleuropein aglycone. Indeed, the nature of the interaction between oleuropein aglycone and trastuzumab was found to be strongly synergistic in Tzb-resistant SKBR3/Tzb100 cells. Mechanistically, oleuropein aglycone treatment significantly reduced HER2 ECD cleavage and subsequent HER2 auto-phosphorylation, while it dramatically enhanced Tzb-induced down-regulation of HER2 expression.

CONCLUSION:
Olive oil's bitter principle (i.e., oleuropein aglycone) is among the first examples of how selected nutrients from an EVOO-rich "Mediterranean diet" directly regulate HER2-driven breast cancer disease.

35 y/o
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Cure4Cat

Should I just buy extra virgin olive oil? If so how much do you need? Or am I supposed to buy oleuropein aglycone? Can you even buy that? Sorry for all the questions! It just seems like it is worth a try. It so sad to see these promising studies stalled.

Cat
Surgery Jan 2011
25 Rads March 2011
Herceptin started during chemo and continued every 3 weeks for 1 year
Started Tamoxifen for 5 years

Looking for a vaccine trial
Cure4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
pibikay

I have read in several sites and books about the +ve action of extra virgin olive oil in case of tumourd and we are using it regularly.Pl correct me if I am wrong is the product an extract from olves?
Thanls
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Becky

Well, I have been taking standardized olive leaf for 6+ years. I will have to look at the bottle for the strength. I don't take 3/4 capsules anymore, just one or two a day. I started taking them as well as standardized maitake for one reason - some research indicated they improved the effectiveness of Herceptin.

As many of you know, and many of you don't - I received late Herceptin, after chemo and radiation was complete. I wanted as much bang for the buck for that year of Herceptin taken alone. Maitake has beta glucans and beta glucans have been shown to (re) activate PTEN, a down stream modulator that has to be activate for Herceptin to work at its best. Extra virgin olive oil contains oleuropein but the standardized capsules have more. I use EVOO all the time but in those days, I also took 2 tablespoons a day off the spoon! Oleic and oleuropein prevents resistance (supposedly) and I wanted to do everything I could (especially since Herceptin tends to work better with chemo and I was taking it without chemo).

Old habits die hard so I take one or two olive leaf and 2 maitake (600mg) per day. In the Herceptin days and perhaps the year after, I was taking 3/4 olive leaf and 9 maitake all the while using EVOO as my oil in cooking etc.

You never know?

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Cure4Cat

Thanks Becky! I bought some olive leaf today. I will try and find maitake. Is it a pill too?

Thanks,
Cat
Surgery Jan 2011
25 Rads March 2011
Herceptin started during chemo and continued every 3 weeks for 1 year
Started Tamoxifen for 5 years

Looking for a vaccine trial
Cure4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Laurel

Cure4Cat,

Try SwansonVitamins.com for Olive Oil caps, olive leaf, and various mushrooms. I take the triple complex mushroom from them as well as the above mentioned. Good quality and reasonably priced.

It isn't just Rachel Ray who loves EVOO! Great for us Her-2 gals as well. Best!

L.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Rich66

Broken record here suggesting caution with mushrooms in ER+. It's tricky business at minimum.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
Becky

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/...the-laboratory

There are dozens of references that mushroom are beneficial and most studies use the more common ER+ cell lines. Even the American Cancer Society touts it on their site.

However, I would like to know why you caution mushrooms as I truly respect your research and insight.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
ElaineM

Wink Re: greed and desperation a match made in heaven

Very interesting. Thank you everybody.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Becky

http://www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org/a...201107/24.html

From this month's July Artemis - a paper given at June 2011 ASCO on mushrooms

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!