HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
Rozebud

I tallied them through tonight (10 p.m. CST) and had 26 responses, of which only 8 were ER+/PR+ or a combo. Which means 70% of us are Er/Pr- and 30% are positive on one or both.

When I discussed this with my onc this afternoon he was not surprised. He said that women in their 30s are 30-40% ER/PR+ and 80% of women in their 60s are ER/PR+. Has to do with premenopausal vs. postmenopausal. He also said that her2's are associated with higher hormone negativity, and also with those younger in age. I guess the combo of all of that is why those of us who are younger have worse prognoses. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Learned a lot today. Thanks for participating!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
jojo

Thanks Rose for such interesting info.

Another question just came to mind:

WITH her2 positive status, how much of the 30-40% of us in 30's and of the 80% of older ladies are inclined to be responsive to hormonal therapy?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
jojo

Thanks Rose for such interesting info.

Another question just came to mind:

WITH her2 positive status, how much of the 30-40% of us in 30's and of the 80% of older ladies are inclined to be responsive to hormonal therapy?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Kristen

Question...What about us ladies in our early 40's, are we considered in with your age bracket and what type of worse prognosis is your onc
giving you? Reoccurance or shorter life spans?

The survey you did was very interesting, thank you for doing it. take care k
Old 09-23-2004, 05:10 AM   #5
Rozebud

Actually, it's a continuium. The older you are and closer you are to being postmenop. vs. premenopausal, the more likely you are to be hormone postive. In GENERAL, younger women have worse prognosis, but it has nothing to do with their age by itself, just that they usually have more aggressive cancers and usually are further progressed at diagnosis. Per my understanding, if 2 people presented with the EXACT same situation (tumor size, her2 status, ER/PR status, lymph involvement, etc.) and one was 30 and one was 80, they should still have the same prognosis.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
Sandy H.

If I understood my surgeon correctly the reason its worse being ER/PR neg. is there are less treatment options available. The hormonal drugs do not work for us and that leaves only Herceptin. Any one else want to commment? Hugs, Sandy H.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
Kaye

I was ER+ but they did not test PR. I am wondering if they were supposed to do that or ???