HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
karen z

Edwards: Less help than a girl needs

In a NY TImes article today Dowd states that......."the creepiest part of Edwards' creepy confession was when he stressed to Woodruff that he cheated on Elizabeth in 2006 when her cancer was in remission. His infidelity was oncologically correct"

Thoughts?
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Jyber

I feel that his making that point was one of several inappropriate/less than ideal comments of his. IF he wanted to communicate that his infidelity did not take place while his wife was actively battling cancer, he could have handled it somewhat less brazenly, by referring to the sequence of things that had been going on in their lives before and after the affair.

Also, they both must have known she had a significant risk of recurrence. I am always aware of that and believe my husband is as well. But perhaps they were in denial.

Interestingly, Elizabeth in her statement commented that her stage 4 diagnosis oddly helped them get past the affair. Perhaps when John realized he might lose her he focused more on her importance to him.

I am, frankly, a former supporter who is now diappointed in both of them -- mostly him, of course, but her as well for enabling him in the charade. Their marriage is their private business but they both tried to mislead their supporters and the country and were willing to take a huge risk that the affair would not come to light. Honesty is always the best policy IMO.
mastectomy 2/07;
SNB negative :-) ;
chemo (AC, followed by Taxol); herceptin scheduled until 6/08 but stopped 11/07 due to LVEF drop)
Jyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
RhondaH

Cool Soooo...

the "fact" that she was (was not) in remission makes what he did less severe?...NOTTTT. I wasn't a supporter (though I am "party" affiliated), but it seems that "infidelity" is bipartisan.

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
karen z

Jyber and Rhonda,
Thank you for your posts. I have found myself very upset at all of this (the actions, the lies, and the most recent statements during the long interview Edwards gave). There are so many people hurt here- obviously the family (which includes children and a woman who has already endured more than her share of pain, but friends, relatives, and so many supporters or (as you say Rhonda, "party" affiliated- that would include me too). What a tragic mess. I think that the Dowd article is a good one to read about now.
karen z
Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
hutchibk

He is the most shallow and vacuous type of slimeball...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
notamrnpsn

Edwards

If it was my husband, he would be hanging by them by now, Jeanette
notamrnpsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
karen z

Hutchibk and Jeanette,
All good points........very slimy stuff (like anyone needs this right now or ever).
karen z
Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Jean

I find it strange that men who enter into such a high end public vocation....do what they do? Do they really believe that what they do in private will not be disclosed. They made a choice to work in a public arena.

While I believe that their private lives belongs to them
and it is a shame that (she) has to respond at all
about her marriage....(and her cancer) for that matter,
since it is her business, for the sake of public face she
is attempting to make the best of the situation, more than likely for the kids sake.

But without a doubt, Edwards is a fool who thinks with his little head.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation I'm Hung Up On The Inoperable, Incurable Message

At dinner with 3 other couples last night, this discussion came up. All the above were mentioned. Especially that if he were indeed the Dem Pres candidate, this revelation would surely screw the Dems, and the nation!

My point here is a bit different. REPORTERS KEEP MENTIONING THAT ELIZABETH (who we know has metastatic bc at this point) HAS *INOPERABLE*, *INCURABLE* CANCER. Those at my table were commenting that she is not long for this world, that she is terminally ill.

Each reporter states repeatedly that Elizabeth has an incurable form of cancer and each time it riles me.

I was told in '98 (when my bc spread throughout my liver) that what I had was inoperable, incurable and that I would be on long term chemotherapy for the rest of my life. At first I thought I was a walking corpse. Sure to die. I read the statistics. They were poor. I did rally however and decided that someone had to be in that tiny group of Survivors and I intended fully, with every ounce of determination to concentrate and call up strength and courage I had never really thought I had in such abundance.

So, I am thinking that our society is perpetuating our fear of THE BIG C, which they often whisper and will not name aloud, as they cower over the very thought of standing up to cancer.

At the dinner table last night I had to insert that perhaps Elizabeth is no more terminally ill than I am, or was. Inoperable and incurable are scary words to be sure. But my oncs told me that even if they did operate on all my many tumors, my body would be weakened and I would still have to undergo chemotherapy. Better to be strong in facing that. And as for incurable -- cancer is not curable. But it is capable of being managed, with any number of weapons the medical/scientific world has in their arsenal. The cure is coming. For now, cancer is a chronic condition that has flare ups, can be tracked vigilantly, tamped down and controlled.

My favorite mantra is I AM STRONG, BRAVE AND DETERMINED. And, I plan on living forever or die trying. Every day I break my own record for # of days staying alive. I do not forfeit a single day to bemoaning my sorry lot. I embrace the gift of each day and stay PRESENT as best I can. Connected to my Spirit, which is who I truly am. A Soul -- with a mind (a voice of its own that needs constant disciplining) and a body. *I* am the AWARENESS behind and beyond the taunting and tormenting thoughts that race around in my head.

BTW, I read that on September 5 the three major networks are airing a show about STANDING UP^ 2 CA... I have it marked on my calendar.

With Love and Light,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Vi Schorpp

Jean

I find it strange that people in the public arena are willing to live in the public arena. Look at Barbara Walters and Strom Thurmond....if the media had been at the pace it is now neither of these two people would have been able to function in the public arena. Most probably they would have lost their jobs and status, or had been so ashamed they would have hidden.

Great people, great faults!
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
hutchibk

1. “Family values” and “basic human morality” were a staple in Edwards’ stump speeches while he was campaigning for president.

2. Edwards offered this quote while running for president in the dem primaries in 2007: “…I think every single candidate for president, Republican and Democratic have lives, personal lives, that indicate something about what kind of human being they are. And I think it is a fair evaluation for America to engage in to look at what kind of human beings each of us are, and what kind of president we’d make.”

3. He was also quoted as saying (about Bill Clinton, during the Lewinsky scandal): "I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

Besides the deep betrayal of his wife, especially during her illness, he has turned out to be a hypocrite of the highest order, and it will bite him in the bum, deservedly so.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Elizabeth has come forward and apologized for his actions on the Daily Kos. That is just downright insane. I simply don't understand why women defend the men who betray them in such public and humiliating ways.

I guess I would turn around that phrase that Vi offered: 'great faults mean they are apparently not such great people...'

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 08-11-2008 at 12:26 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
sarah

Well the power of politics seems to bring out the worst in some men. Remember Newt Ginggrich? Newt pressed his first wife to sign divorce papers while she was still in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. He also graciously said "She isn't young enough or pretty enough to be the President's wife."
I'm sure there's a many of us who have met women whose husbands left them when they got cancer - they couldn't cope and certainly didn't want to have to take care of someone else.
My husband constantly says "How can these men live with themselves?" Quite well it seems.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
BonnieR

Hutchibk, I think the hypocrisy you quoted is what gets me the most.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Margerie

Think what his legacy could have been...and what it will now be.

What a waste of space he is.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Julie2

Thanks Andrea, I am so sick and depressed of the word incurable, it is like people telling you don't have chance to live.

Julie
Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Ruth

I liked John Edwards, I really did. But for whatever reason (if there can be one) he strayed. It is particulary unbelievable to us because she has cancer. But it has happened so many times in the past and will happen in the future. Whether it is a president or the convenience store clerk down the street. I would hate to have my spouse in the public eye and so much attention drawn to myself and my children when something like this happens. I can't help but think of their children. Those poor babies. I know we can't understand how she can defend him but I am pretty sure it is to protect her children as much as she can. If she goes out and bashes him on TV we all feel good about it but her kids feel more horrible than they probably already do. You try to protect your kids as much as you can but with the internet, cell phones, TV and friends it is a HUGE task. There is nothing more damaging to kids than parents fighting...even if one is wrong and the other right. They don't see it like that. It just hurts them.
This whole news just is so disappointing. I really hate politics!
Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
Jean

Ruth,
I agree that she is protecting her children.
Very wise loving mothers during a nasty divorce will
keep the kids out of the pipe line...in this case it is
almost impossible ....so I think she is doing her part
to be strong for them.

Val,
Yes your correct about Barbara (whom I really
enjoy and admire) but - she was not attempting to
run for the most powerful job....(and she is still wrong)
to get herself involved with a married man.

I wish all women who have the unfortunate situation who get involved with a married (who tells them) that
he is staying just for the kids, or whatever excuse is used....I believe anyone can fall out of love for many reasons...but do the decent thing...tell the person you are married to and end that realtionship first before
getting involved with another.

Let's face it, men who have Power, Money, Title,
Good Looks, do get away with more....and in the last few years it has been very active in the political arena.

Too bad they do NOT have "Strong Character " to go along with all those other qualities.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 08-11-2008 at 04:21 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
karen z

Yes, Hutchibk, the hypocrisy is appalling (and thank you for sharing the unbelievable quotes). And I have to say that the "Ken doll" image that the girlfriend was attempting to "help" Edwards shed was more than apparent during the interview (what an empty-headed goofy guy emerged). And Andi, some of the newspaper editors and reporters who keep using the same language over and over again (and take phrases from one another without a thought to what they are saying) could benefit from a letter similar to your post here.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
Bill

Edwards is pathetic. I saw some of the interview last night, and what I heard, to paraphrase, "you just feel like you can do anything and get away with it". Like I said, it's not a direct quote. He was trying to justify what he did. I hope we never see him in office again. And SarahDalton, thanks for bringing up that episode regarding Newt Gingrich from 14 years ago. I had forgotten about that one. I just feel so bad for his family.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
Patb

Amen to all the above. This is a topic that won't go
away for some time. Why was she getting paid by a
campaign staffer and another staffer says he is the
father of the baby. What a mess and the whole truth
is yet to be probably. When he was interviewed by
I believe (Bob Woodriff) he looked like a deer in the
headlights. He asked him why Elizabeth wasn't there
and he said I needed to be a man and take this and I
asked her not to be here. Please!!!!
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote