HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #21
rebecca0623

First - you have come to the right place for thoughtful responses from women in the same situation. This is a great resource and has been endlessly helpful to me in all aspects of selecting treatment.

I ultimately chose lumpectomy with a reduction mammoplasty and lift. My breast size was large enough for this to work on me without too drasctic a result (D cup) but I will have left breast done to match after radiation and it has settled in. it has already fallen from what was a great height (too high for me and my age I thought) and looks very natural. I had some moments of thinking I should have had bilateral mastectomy and my deciding factors were - I did not want inpatient procedure if it could be avoided and I did not want implants. I do no think that I would be happy with prosthetics as I am wearing one on the lifted side now and I find it very annoying. Also, my genetic BRCA1 and BRCA 2 test came back negative so that was further corroboration for me. I don't think there is a wrong decision and I will be thinking of you as you make your choice and sending nothing but good and positive thoughts your way. Do let us know how it goes for you.
HER2 +, invasive ductal carcinoma
Quadrantectomy right on 7/30/08
Path report, all 3 nodes taken were clear!!!!!!
Lymphatic/vascular invasion and sent out BRCA testing
Port in on 9/2/08. Chemo began 9/3/08. TCH (MUGA wrong - echocardiogram says 65% cardiac MRI 59% 9/10/98 elevated liver enzymes, PET scan 9/16/08 all clear.
TC ended 12/17/08
Port blood clot and hosp. 1/2/09
radiation begins 1/8/09

BRCA testing done - results NEGATIVE!

cardiologist said go back to coreg as it helps counteract heart effects of herceptin and slowly increase dosage - now 40mg daily.
rebecca0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Jinete789

Hi Rebecca, I guess if my tumour doesn't shrink sufficiently to make lumpectomy an option then that's one decision I won't have to make.

I have not yet sought a formal second opinion but did discuss with the UK helpline on breastcancercare.org, who were fabulously helpful.
Jinete789 is offline   Reply With Quote