HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Blondey

Question Had to Cease Herceptin Treatments

I've had 8 months of Herceptin and had to stop once due to mugascan results. Just had another mugascan and my oncologist has stopped me from taking Herceptin for good. My ejection fraction dropped from 66% to 47%. Anyone else have this problem? Have to go for another mugascan in 30 days to see if my heart flow has returned to normal. Oncologist said the risk for stroke and heart attack out weighs the benefits of Herceptin.
Blondey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Did you have any symptoms to tell you that something wasn't right? Just curious. I have been on herceptin since mid Oct. 2005 (10 months thus far) and feel great. I have had one muga (after being on it for 4 months) and that result was good. My onc said that typically the toxicitity of herceptin is seen within the first 4 months of being on herceptin so she doesn't do another muga or echo unless symptoms require it. I have 3 more to go and am anxious to be done.

marejo
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Blondey

No symptoms to report. I was feeling fine but apparently the mugascan revealed that it wasn't right. As the doctor told me, we are all different and the side effects differ with each woman. Had mugascans once every 3 months. Now I'm relieved to be off it. Ready to call the surgeon and have the port taken out. Thanks for responding and good luck with the rest of your treatment.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
HavahJ

reply muga

I just had a muga at 47. I went to a heart doctor. ( I had been on herceptin a year and a half). He said that it was low normal and that if it went to low forties, come back and there is a pill he can give you to keep the muscle strong. The problem is that it lowers blood pressure as a side effect and I already have very low blood pressure. He also did an electro cardiogram which was 50 and appeared normal. Hope this helps. The new drug coming out is suppose to be less hard on your heart. HavahJ
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Blondey

Hi there:

Thanks so much for responding and for the information. I'm sort of relieved to be done with the Herceptin and can't wait to get the port out. Hope all goes well with your continuation of the Herceptin. I'll be interested in reading about the results of the next conference in October and what the doctors have to say. I'm already on blood pressure medication so don't want it to go any lower. A friend in my support group is also having problems and has stopped for a while. She'll resume again with it next month.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Carol.hope

Blondey, there are several posts about this. You can click on Search at the top of the screen and type in LVEF or MUGA and probably find them. My LVEF went from 56 to 35. It's back up now. You're in good company! - Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Monica

Blondey,

The exact same thing happened to me. My MUGA dropped about 20 points and I had to stop herceptin for a month. Happy to say my MUGA went back up so I could get back on for the remaining time, but my heart never fully recovered. Make sure you're taking plenty of CoQ10. It really helps the heart.

Best,
Monica
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
Blondey

Hi:

Thanks so much to all of you for responding. I'm feeling better about stopping Herceptin for good. I figure that I have had 8 months of treatment and I'm listening to my oncologist's advice.

Many thanks again

Blondey