HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Barbara2

Dogs as Cancer Detectors

We have talked about this before on this board...

Dogs as Cancer Detectors
By Maggie Koerth for MSN Health & Fitness

Man's real best friend may be his best friend's nose. Dogs' sense of smell is incredibly powerful, but it wasn't until recently that scientists began siccing that sense on cancerous tumors. Researchers wondered if canines could be trained to smell the chemical difference between patients with cancer and those without. So far, the results have been promising. Studies show test dogs can accurately pick out patients with lung, breast, ovarian and bladder cancers. In some cases, the pups have hit accuracy rates as high as 97 percent.

But don't book an appointment with Dr. Beagle just yet. The detection method is still in its early stages of research. To really prove that dog detection can work, researchers will need to show that dogs can identify afflicted patients who haven't yet been diagnosed by traditional means, as opposed to using previously diagnosed cancer patients and healthy controls. Critics argue the dogs might not be smelling cancer, but instead some olfactory evidence of lifestyle differences between healthy people, and those who are already addressing (and worrying about) an illness.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Dogs as Cancer Detectors

Well, however it is, I know my 'Puppy' found me in 1993 - three years after my brain surgery. She simply wondered into my front entrance where I had left some grains for the birds.

I thought she was a 'puppy' (because she loved the milk I brought her), turned out she's a toy poodle barely 4.5 lbs (eventually grew to 6 lb and the vet told us to hold back the BBQ ribs...

She'd accompanied me through another brain surgery (Gamma-knife radiosurgery in 2001) and two breast cancer surgeries and chemotherapy (2003, 2007)

When she turned 'stiff' on our kitchen floor one winter day (early January 2008) after my last chemotherapy stopped prematurely because of lowered MUGA score, I just knew that God had sent her to comfort me during all my illnesses and treatment.

One of my bosses (the best one I've ever had) commented when he saw the picture of 'Puppy' that it had to be the type of dog I would have (he was putting out every staff's pet picture in a display case and let the students to match the pet with the owner) Because I'd been dressed rather nice (was given some very nice/expensive outfit by a local physician's wife when I was working at another library - she thought all of her daughter's clothes would fit me. She was right.) and everyone thought hubby is good-looking and a nice guy, he thought I have 'taste'...

Another one of my friends, a waitress in the restaurant where I worked as a cashier for over three years, accurately assessed the situation. She said it's because I did not 'discriminate'. I was never picky in choosing things or people. Consequently I always get the best...

Yes, God always gives (and takes) the best.

[Truthfully, I've been wondering if Puppy's flea collar had contributed (at least partially) to my brain tumor recurrence and two bouts of breast cancer... ]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-02-2010 at 01:34 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Barbara2

Hi, Jackie,
I really doubt very much that the collar had anything to do with your recurrance of brain cancer and then breast cancer. I guess there is no way to really know. There are so many reasons why people get cancer, I just want to believe it was not the collar!

I, like you, am a dog lover, as is my husband. I believe our schnauzer knew of my cancer before I did. She sniffed the lump area on my breast for no good reason one night before I knew of my cancer diagnosis, but I was aware of the lump the doctor was keeping an eye on. At the time, I had a feeling that she (the dog) was aware of something in that location that was different, somehow. Unfortunatly, she was right.

I hope you have been blessed with another animal friend. The quote on our August calendar (dog calendar, of course!) next to the picture of a dog, says: "No other animal loves you more than they love themselves."

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
Chelee

Barbara, I absolutely believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that dogs can smell cancer! I have a toy poodle and a Dogue de Bordeaux. (Mastiff) Both my dogs prior to my dx kept sniffing my right leg and upper right side. Drove me crazy! They never had done that before...it was constant...every chance they got. I was always telling them to quit. Never the left side...always the right.

Then later I find out I had bc on the right side...and a bone mass in right femur. Coincidence...no...I just don't believe that. Also I'd like to note...after I had surgery to remove mass in breast the dogs both quit sniffing me. To this day if they start sniffing around me I start to panic...I really believe they can smell it. I watched a show on animal planet that showed a standard poodle that could detect cancer...he was trained for it...but I'm sure it came pretty natural to him.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
das

Hi, these researchers in Sweden trained dogs to distinguish ovarian carcinomas from healthy control tissue samples. They found that: Using our training method, we taught a dog to distinguish different histopathological types and grades of ovarian carcinomas, including borderline tumors, from healthy control samples. Double-blind tests showed 100% sensitivity and 97.5% specificity. Moreover, the odor of ovarian carcinomas seems to differ from those of other gynecological malignances such cervical, endometrial, and vulvar carcinomas. Our study strongly suggests that the most common ovarian carcinomas are characterized by a single specific odor.
Source: Integrative Cancer Therapies 2008 Jun;7(2):76-80. Epub 2008 May 27.

Possibly this has been done with breast cancer as well!
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Sherryg683

My shitzu did the same thing, he started sniffing my right breast before I was diagnosed. Now this is a dog that is very anti-social and doesn't like to be petted and for him to suddenly be in my lap sniffing my breast was weird. Of course it was my right breast with cancer. About a year after treatment, about a month before I was to have my scans, he started sniffing my right breast again. I was so upset , I just knew the cancer had returned and he was detecting it. Thank God his nose was not correct, may I was just dribbling food on my shirt or something...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote