HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
LovingDaughter

Side Effects of Adriamycin/Cytoxin and Taxol/Herceptin

If you have taken the following chemotherapy cycle, could you please explain the side effects you had: AC-->T+H? My mom is currently taking AC and was wondering whether she would have any easier time on Taxol. She will be taking Taxol weekly for 12 weeks.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
LovingDaughter

If you have taken Neulasta, could you also let me know if you had any side effects with it?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
rinaina

Not there yet with the taxol/herceptin yet but would also like to know. Just had first cycle of A/C....not to bad so far at all. Little tired, little extra gas, little extra thirst, urinating a lot more. So far tastes are okay.

hope this helps
Rina
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
LovingDaughter

Thanks, Rina. I am glad that things are going well for you so far. My mom just completed her second AC treatment and has been extremely fatigued and has no appetite.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
rinaina

I wish some of my appetite would go away. Was hoping for a little weight loss through this but not unhealthy amount or amount that would be detrimental. I have been told by many that b.c. patients actually tend to gain weight. Not what I wanted to hear. I think it is more because some things don't taste good due to taste alterations from drugs so perhaps the things that do taste good are more fattening. I don't know for sure. Any feedback on this from others? Hope your mom does well, keep in touch. How far into treatment is she? Like I said, I just had 1 of 4 treatments and they will be 3 weeks apart.
Rina
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
LovingDaughter

She took her second treatment out of four of AC on Friday. Her treatments are two weeks apart.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
suzan w

I had 4 treatments of A/C..was supposed to get 6 but due to severe side effects, oncologist decided 4 would do. I developed an infection after the 2nd tretment and my white blood count went bonkers...other women do not seem to have the severity of side effects that I did. I also had a neulasta shot with each chemo and had alot of soreness from that-especially in shoulders...caused by neulasta boosts white blood cell growth and that takes place in the bone marrow. I am doing a year of herceptin now-every 3 weeks, til Oct. Not many side effects from that. Despite the side effects, I am glad that I did the chemo...
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Barbara

Side Affects of A/C

Hi:

I too was very tired, food tasted terrible and I was hypotenive with very low white counts - no white cells as my oncologist said. I lost twenty pounds in the first eight weeks of treatment. Nuelasta caused my CA 27-29, AST, ALT and alkaline phosphatase all to go way above normal. I ran temperatures and after my first Taxol treatment was hospitalized to rule out septic shock. Becasue I literally had no white cells seven days after my A/C treatments I was always put on antibiotics as a preventative measure. I found Taxol easier than the A/C. After all that Herceptin was a breeze although I am among the 2-3% of patients that have anemia and low white counts from Herceptin.

I am now 25 months out from my diagnosis and still cancer free. That is what is important. I wish you Mom the best.

Barbara
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Becky

For me the side effects of each were:

1. AC - mouth sores - they weren't that bad but I got them and they were worse with the first round. Loss of appetite (I lost 22 lbs on chemo to include the taxol portion). Fatigue also (and of course hair loss). My skin became very dry and I really needed to moisturize (especially my face and hands). Needed chapstick too.

2. taxol - I had some numbness in my fingers, especially my thumbs. The worse part was "electrical" feelings in my legs (especially when laying down or sitting - not too bad when moving around). My white counts improved on taxol but were the pits on AC. If you haven't lost your eyebrows and eyelashes on AC, you will lose them on taxol. But oddly, the hair on your head will start growing again - just peach fuzz but it will start to come back during these treatments. Lastly, I had this dense dose too (because they do the 12 weekly taxols when you get the herceptin so I had 4 stronger doses every 2 weeks).

I did not take neulasta as my blood boosting agent. I took Leukine which works in the same way but boosts all white blood cell components not just the neutrophils like neulasta and neupogen does. However, the side effects are very similar. The biggest one is bone pain - especially in the sterum (breast bone so it can feel kind of like a heart attack). Also the ribs and pelvis (the big bones throb). This last a couple of days. I also felt this contributed to fatigue but since you are getting chemo, who knows.

3. Herceptin is like nothing. I took it sequentially and did not take it with taxol because the results of the trial came out 3 months after I completed taxol so I started then. So, you will have a mixed result. By itself the first couple of herceptin treatments gave me a headache and runny nose. I was also tired. Now, I am just tired (getting it on the every three week schedule). No more headache or runny nose.

I thought AC was worse than taxol. Although the finger numbness and leg "thing" was no picnic, I did not feel so sick (most of my weight loss came from the AC part. I actually lost 8 lbs in between round 3 and 4 so that's 4 lbs a wk). Also, you will find your white counts to be better on taxol so at least you are better protected naturally.

I really hope this helps.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
sadie

Past all chemo

With AC food tasted alittle bland to me right after each treatment.
Taste would start coming back, but then I would be due for the next treatment.
My appetite didn't change much at all.
I would get alittle queazy for 4 or 5 days after each treatment, but eating alittle all day took care of that problem. Ate a few peices of dry cereal if I woke up at night. Didn't use ativan until after my 3rd treatment.
That just about took away all queaziness. Should have used that from the beginning!
A little tired 4-5 days after each treatment, but still able to work. Had treatments on Fri and took naps thru-out the weekend. Sleep schedule all messed up because of naps.
Herceptin/Taxol did the same thing to my sleep schedule, but only made me tired day after treatment (due to benadryl).
Appetite increased tremendously 1-2 days after each treatment (due to steroids?)
Ankles & feet swelling on a daily basis, but onc said it's not due to herceptin.
(I never had that before Herceptin). Taking Lasix, but not helping.
Also got acid reflux near the end of AC. Still have it. Taking prevacid.
Finished Taxol/Herceptin 1 month ago.
Herceptin = no side effects at all so far (had 2 treatments).
Just have to keep eye on muga scan/echocardiogram results.
Before AC results were 71%
After AC 58%
Mid-cyle Herceptin/Taxol = 65%
Will have another echo in a couple of months.
Gained 25 pounds thru-out all treatments.
Bloated alot during taxol/Her treatments (due to steroids), but that is now gone.
Had 1 Neulasta shot after 2nd AC; Pain thru-out abdomen for 2-3 days.
LIke a pulsating dull pain working its way down from chest to lower back; Would last about 15 seconds, then go away for about 15 minutes-1/2 hr.
Nighttime was better. Never want to have that pain again!
Starting radiation now. So far so good. (only 2 treatments so far).
Stage 1; 1 cm; Her2+++; sentinol node negative; grade 3
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
Sue2001

Hi, I had the same treatment as your mother. I found the Taxol and Herceptin to be much more tolerable than the AC. My side effects for each:

A/C: Some nausea the first few days
Metallic taste in my mouth which affected how food tasted
Sense of smell was very strong
Hair loss on head
Aching in my bones
Felt like I had the flu
Mouth and Nose sores
Fatigue was by far the worst side effect for me.

Taxol:
No nausea
Tired the second day after the infusion but better the rest of the week
Lost all body hair
Neuropathy in my fingers, also in my feet and lower legs

Herceptin:
Nose sores
Neuropathy in hands and feet
Bone aches

My best wishes to you and your Mom, Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
rinaina

thanks for everyones feedback. definitely some of the same symptoms for all but a few individual ones too. sounds like some gain weight and some lose. hope i lose or at a minimum, stay the same. i know the most important thing is to get rid of the cancer though so i will take what is given to me as far as the weight. there is always tomorrow to worry about weight. health is number 1 always!

rina
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #13
Andi

I had dd a/c with neulasta. My basic side effects with the a/c were that my tastes changed. Foods I used to like, no longer even sounded good to me. I ate a lot of fruits as that is what appealed to me most. My weight stayed the same. I also would drink a whole lot of water the remainder of the day after my chemo and that helped me a lot. One of my treatments water didn't sound good to me and I didn't drink it and I felt much worse after that cycle, so the rest of them I made sure I drank it even when it didn't sound good to me. When I went on to the Taxol + Herceptin it was a breeze. I would have a ravenous appetite for a couple of days after my treatment which I thought was due to the sterioids they give as a premed, but now I am taking herceptin every three weeks and still find I have the same thing even without the sterioids so for me it may be the herceptin and not the sterioids. I have a few more hot flashes right after my treatment and sometimes a runny nose. My ankles are also stiff when I first get up, but if I stretch them first I don't have any problems. I had no side effects with the neulasta. It seemed to me in my treatment that each step got easier - a/c then t + herceptin then radiation then herceptin every three weeks (finishe 9/06). Good luck to your mom in her journey through treatment.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
LovingDaughter

Thank you all so much for responding to my inquiry. My mom has had a very difficult day so far today--she is three days out from her second treatment. She is very nausiated and tired. Did any of you do anything to help with the fatigue, or did you just sleep it off?

It sounds like the Taxol portion of her treatment may be a little better based upon what all of you have said. I certainly hope so.

Good luck to all of you as you continue on your journeys! I pray for all of you regularly!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
rinaina

Best thing to do for fatigue is to listen to your own body. If you are tired or fatigued at least rest or sleep it off.

Rina
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-29-2006, 11:55 PM   #16
cconsolver

I didn't have any problems with Adriamyacin but only because my onc told me to make sure to keep something, anything in my stomach whether I felt like it or not. And there were some days I didn't feel like eating. I can not tell you how many saltines I ate, but they really saved my life and making sure to drink ALOT of water and take the anti-nausea meds. I did gain weight because I was also told to eat a high protein low fiber diet. As a result I was able to maintain a somewhat normal life style. I continued to work although only on a very limited basis. The main thing is that when feeling tired to take a break, even nap if that is what your body is telling you to do. Rest, rest, rest. I didn't take Taxol but took something new called Abraxane. I had more problems with it. I broke out in rashes, lost the feeling in my fingers, and got sick before even leaving the infusion room all four treatments. I truly believe I was having allergic reactions to this treatment. Thankfully, it is all over and I am approaching the end of my herceptin treatments. I believe I only have 4 or 5 more (my onc will tell me next time I see her in three weeks). Just hang in there and let your mom know that there are alot of us out here who have been where she is and care and that she can do this.

Cindy
cconsolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:47 AM   #17
madubois63

>>My mom has had a very difficult day so far today--she is three days out from her second treatment.<<

Day three was always the worst day for me. Keep gingerale, (string) black licorice or licorice tea, pickled ginger (like the sushi kind - seafood department or oriental grocery store) or crysallized ginger (cooking ilse) for the "day 3" blues...
also, clear broths, jello, sherbert, crackers, pretzles and nutty whole grain breads. I've heard some people live on potatoes too.

I found the Taxol to be much easier on me than the adriomycin/cytoxin. But, remember you still have the adriomycin in you and even though you will be getting taxol, your eye lashes and eye brows will fall out. That is residual effects from the adriomycin. My hair started grown back rather quickly during the Taxol treatments and the brows and lashes come back pretty quickly too. Within a year and a half my hair was back to my normal length (see picture).

..·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #18
tousled1

During my treatments with A/C my blood counts dropped way down!! First round I did the neupogen shots which gaveme such joint pian I thought I would die. After that I received Neulasta the day after chemo. I also received Procrit shot the day of chemo. My side effects with A/C were that my sense of smell became very prominent, sores in the mouth (around day 3), and of course fatigue.

I did not receive taxol but got taxatore. While on the taxatore (pre-med decadron) my side effects were again low blood counts, mouth sores and a lot of neuropathy in the hands/feet.

Again, each person reacts differently to chemo and I know that I reacted different to each round I received. Major probelm throughout was severe fatigue -- which does get better.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #19
rinaina

Gingerale was sure my friend last night. The last two nights have been kind of hard on me. A bit nauseated and uncomfortable and couldn't get back to sleep once I woke up in the middle of the night. The uncomfortable feeling is like not being able to find a place for yourself, like you are jumping out of your skin. Anyone else ever feel like that at night. I fall asleep fine at around 8 or 9pm but then awaken at about 12-1:30am and can't get back to sleep easily. Perhaps I need to take the Ativan every night. Hate drugs and wish I didn't need to but will do what it takes I guess.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #20
LovingDaughter

Thank you all so much for replying to my post. It really means a lot to me.

Cindy--I have passed along your message to my mom. The fact that so many of you have gotten through what she is going through gives her a lot of strength.

Tousled1--my mom's sense of smell has also become very prominent. She says that she can smell everything! We don't cook in the house, don't spray any perfumes, etc.

Maryann--It was so nice of you to take time out of your day to offer advice. I know that times have been very difficult for you, but you seem to me to be a wonderful, kind and caring person, and I know that you will get through this.

Rina--My mom constantly wakes up in the middle of the night and says that she feels like she is jumping out of her skin and that she doesn't know what to do for herself. I would definitely recommend taking the Ativan (at least for a few days). It has really helped my mom.

As always, my thoughts & prayers are with each of you as you continue on your journeys.

All the best,
Jayne