HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Chelee

Question about FISH results?

On the FISH results...what is the highest number for it to be amplified?

Chelee
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Kimberly Lewis

Hi Chelee - I had an unusual response about my fish results. I had the test done at Duke Medical and the results were listed as 40% which there, meant that I was not Her2 positive. I had my treatments finished at a cancer center closer to home and that 40% to them meant I was positive and I recieved the treatments. In a letter from my Onc at Duke she stated that in the trialss they had done I would have been accepted but that now I am not! It was very confusing to me but I felt fortunate that I had gone on and had the rest of my tx elsewhere! I go for my first PET scan this Wed. Had to fake symptoms to get the scan done!! Rediculous the way we have to fight for tx.... Sorry for the long answer. kim
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
LovingDaughter

I am also interested in knowing this. Is there anyone who can answer this question?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Chelee

Hi Kim, That is a shame that you were told two different things from two cancer centers. (What is one to believe?) I know I am LOST on this one? I just recently asked for my FISH results as the kept saying I could have them...but yet they would NEVER actually give me the paper work till now. (I got pushy.)

Orignally I was told I was "weakly positive". Then later they said "positive" like it changed? My paper says 15% of tumor cell nuclei are moderately/weakly reactive for estrogen, & 5% of tumor cell are strongly/moderately reactive for progesterone. Then it says on another paper "Her2 by FISH Resuls: Amplified (4.4). I know I have been able to receive the herceptin...but I don't know if I got the herceptin because of the her2 status, or the Er & Pr factor? I thought only "positive" Er & Pr people got herceptin? Does that mean I was boreline enough to get it or what?

I am sure glad you decided to go to another center Kim and you did get your treatments. Thats great! I hope someone out there can help us out here and explain this enough to understand it?

(I agree with you Kim about faking symptoms to get tests...I have heard of many that HAD no choice.) I have my PET/CT scan this Wed. also Kim. It will be my 2nd one. I had one BEFORE chemo...now to see if chemo is, or has done anything. I pray it has. I am stessing over it. Wishing you the best on your PET.

Chelee
Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Lolly

Chelee, I don't know the answer to your original question, but being positive or negative for ER/PR has no bearing on whether you qualify for Herceptin; they look only at the HER2 factor. I am ER/PR negative and my latest FISH score was amplified at 4.6+ as I remember. There are normally 2 copies of each gene, and so the test showed that I have more than 4 copies of the HER2-neu gene per cell, as do you.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
AlaskaAngel

HER2 testing

See "HER2 score question" for some answer to your question.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Chelee

Lolly, Thanks for clearing that up for me as I was under the impression you HAD to be Er & Pr positive to get herceptin....shows you what I know. lol So I get herceptin due to the fact I am her2/neu 3+++. (That makes more sense.) Also, thanks for explaining what the 4.4 amplied means to. I am finally getting some where.

Alaska Angel, I am on my way to check out the "Her2 score question" you directed us too. Much appreciated.

Thanks all...

Chelee