HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Lani

parabens (widely used as preservatives in costmetics, suntancreams, even liqd vitamni

solutions for oral use) found widely throughout breast in biopsy specimens, not just in quadrant near where deoderants applied.

A sample of cream given out by a radiation therapy department at a large cancer center was even found to contain parabens.

Nothing has been proven, but it would seem caution might be prudent.

It is exceeding difficult to find products without parabens.

The liquid vitamin drops were found at a health food store! (and of course are usually taken by children)

Food for thought

Public release date: 11-Jan-2012
[ Print | E-mail | Share ] [ Close Window ]

physicalsciencenews@wiley.com
44-124-377-0375
Wiley-Blackwell
Parabens in breast tissue not limited to women who have used underarm products

New research into the potential link between parabens and breast cancer has found traces of the chemicals in breast tissue samples from all of the women in the study. Parabens are commonly used as preservatives in cosmetics, food products and pharmaceuticals. As the research shows that parabens are measurable in the tissue of women who do not use underarm cosmetics the parabens must enter the breast from other sources.

Breast tissue samples were taken from 40 women, with the results showing that all of the women had at least one paraben in their tissue. The research, published in the Journal of Applied Toxicology, was a collaborative study led by Dr Philippa Darbre, University of Reading and Mr Lester Barr, University Hospital of South Manchester.

The research team studied tissue samples from 40 women undergoing mastectomies between 2005 and 2008 for first primary breast cancer in England. In total, 160 samples were collected, four from each woman, covering serial locations from the axilla (nearest the armpit) to the sternum (breast bone). 99% of the tissue samples contained at least one paraben and 60% of the samples had five.

A number of studies since 1998 have raised concerns about the potential role of parabens in breast cancer as these chemicals possess oestrogenic properties and oestrogen is known to play a central role in the development, growth and progression of breast cancer. In particular, a link was proposed between the disproportionate incidence of breast cancer in the upper outer quadrant of the breast and oestrogenic chemicals in that region, maybe from local application of underarm cosmetic products.

"Our study appears to confirm the view that there is no simple cause and effect relationship between parabens in underarm products and breast cancer" said Mr Lester Barr, consultant surgeon at the University Hospital of South Manchester and Chairman of the Genesis Breast Cancer Prevention Appeal, which part sponsored the study.

"The intriguing discovery that parabens are present even in women who have never used underarm products raises the question: where have these chemicals come from?"

Key findings of the study included:

One or more paraben esters were detected in 158 of the 160 samples studied (99%) and 96 of the samples (60%) contained all five of the most common paraben esters.
The overall median value for total parabens in the breast tissue was 85.5 ng/g - one billionth of a gram of parabens per gram of breast tissue - ranging from 0 ng/g to 5134.5 ng/g. This level was four times higher than the 20.6 ng/g recorded by a smaller study in 2004.
Overall median values for the individual parabens were highest for npropylparaben (16.8 ng/g) and methylparaben (16.6 ng/g), with lower levels for nbutylparaben (5.8 ng/g), ethylparaben (3.4 ng/g) and isobutylparaben (2.1 ng/g).
There was a disproportionate incidence of breast cancer in the upper outer quadrant nearest the armpit and significantly higher levels of n-propylparaben were detected in the axilla region, closest to the armpit, than in the mid or medial regions. The other four parabens were equally distributed across all parts of the breast.
"The fact that parabens were detected in the majority of the breast tissue samples cannot be taken to imply that they actually caused breast cancer in the 40 women studied," said Dr Philippa Darbre, Reader in Oncology at the University of Reading, who also led the 2004 study. "However, the fact that parabens were present in so many of the breast tissue samples does justify further investigation."
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
caya

Re: parabens (widely used as preservatives in costmetics, suntancreams, even liqd vit

Thanks for posting this Lani. I try to buy as many products as I can that are paraben free. Origins is one company that does not use parabens, to the best of my knowledge.

Make sure all products (skin creams, makeup etc) are marked "Paraben free" or "Without Parabens" - words like "naturally organic" or "preservative free" don't cut it. Look at the ingredients on soaps, moisturizers etc. More and more cosmetic companies are aware of the paraben "issue" and are responding.

I truly believe that parabens, along with additives in our foods, and environmental pollutants, cause cancer. When I was a kid in the 60s, who ever heard of younger women (under 50) having breast cancer? Very very rarely.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Rich66

Re: parabens (widely used as preservatives in costmetics, suntancreams, even liqd vit

I remember a thread about this in creams a while back.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
hutchibk

I just read this article. Being mindful and health driven is showing these days to be really important.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/parabens.htm

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Rich66

Just looked at the oft recommended (for rads, hand/foot) Udder Cream..has both methylparaben and propylparaben listed. They are the two last ingredients, but still. I know I contacted them many months ago and asked more generically about estrogenic compounds and was told "No". Other companies never responded back.

For what it's worth, a search on paraben free moisturizers led me to this link of other potentially concerning ingredients: LINK (alcohol, fragrance, mineral oil, Polyethylene Glycol, Acrylamide)
Another link was concerened about Dioxane.

Here's a list that might help:
http://greenerpenny.blogspot.com/200...skin-care.html
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Ellie F

Totally agree with all said including Caya's observation that as a child bc was hardly heard of let alone in younger women. Must say I also try to avoid any additives but it is very difficult.
As for anti-perspirant deodorants I started using these early teens through to diagnosis. Often makes me wonder what effect this had on my developing breast tissue? My mother and her sisters never develped bc and lived to their late 80's. In their generation deodorants didn't become part of their lives until well past the war so I guess their overall exposure was very reduced. Certainly gives you food for thought!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Vicki revised

Skindeep rates all categories, brands, and products, for women and children, and discloses if they contain parabens or other carcinogens. Very enlightening!

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

3/11: DX: IDC, HER2++, ER/PR neg, stage 4, mets to liver. Primary tumor: grade 3; 11 cm. 2nd smaller tumor: ~2.5cm. Multiple affected nodes, 1 spot on liver. 6 rounds TCH prior to bmx.
7/11: Nothing left except Primary breast tumor now 1.5cm.
8/11: BMX, 17/17 nodes clear. No post-op chemo or radiation indicated. NED!
10/11: NED! Continue Herceptin indef.
2/12: Reoccurence of liver mets; both lobes. Tykerb added to Herceptin.
5/12: Progression of liver mets. Stop Tykerb, start Abraxane & Herceptin weekly.
8/12: Progression in liver and lymph nodes around liver and right kidney. Herceptin not working anymore! Stop Abraxane and Herceptin. Start Tykerb and Xeloda.
10/12: Severe side effects. 3 weeks break from everything.
12/12: It's working! All tumors gone except 2 (from 20+) Continue Tykerb and Xeloda. Brain and spine MRIs clear.
Vicki revised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Rich66

FWIW, mom is taking Tykerb and Xeolda and has had good luck switching from the questionable Udder Cream to readily available Aveeno oatmeal based moisturizer..starts to feel splits coming on and it clears it right up. Very few ingredients in the Aveeno.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Vicki revised

A list of paraben free products published by Skindeep, a sort of consumer reports group.

Ewg.org/skindeep

3/11: DX: IDC, HER2++, ER/PR neg, stage 4, mets to liver. Primary tumor: grade 3; 11 cm. 2nd smaller tumor: ~2.5cm. Multiple affected nodes, 1 spot on liver. 6 rounds TCH prior to bmx.
7/11: Nothing left except Primary breast tumor now 1.5cm.
8/11: BMX, 17/17 nodes clear. No post-op chemo or radiation indicated. NED!
10/11: NED! Continue Herceptin indef.
2/12: Reoccurence of liver mets; both lobes. Tykerb added to Herceptin.
5/12: Progression of liver mets. Stop Tykerb, start Abraxane & Herceptin weekly.
8/12: Progression in liver and lymph nodes around liver and right kidney. Herceptin not working anymore! Stop Abraxane and Herceptin. Start Tykerb and Xeloda.
10/12: Severe side effects. 3 weeks break from everything.
12/12: It's working! All tumors gone except 2 (from 20+) Continue Tykerb and Xeloda. Brain and spine MRIs clear.
Vicki revised is offline   Reply With Quote