HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Becky

Omega-6 fatty acids hasten growth of prostate cancer cells

Although prostate cancer cells were studied here, this is something RB, Lani and others have posted about continuously and something I also find very important.

Regards, Becky

Omega-6 fatty acids hasten growth of prostate cancer cells

Posted: February 10, 2006

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Adding arachidonic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, to culture media causes prostate cancer cells to grow twice as fast as usual, according to a report in the February 1st issue of Cancer Research. "Investigating the reasons for this rapid growth, we discovered that the omega-6 was turning on a dozen inflammatory genes that are known to be important in cancer," lead author Dr. Millie Hughes-Fulford, from the San Francisco VA Medical Center, said in a statement.

Further analysis indicated that arachidonic acid was activating these genes through a PI3-kinase pathway known to play a key role in the pathogenesis of cancer.

Adding an NSAID or a PI3-kinase inhibitor to the culture media blocked the arachidonic acid-induced proliferation of prostate cancer cells, the findings indicate.

In light of the current findings, Dr. Hughes-Fulford said she now avoids cooking with corn oil, which is known to be high in omega-6 fatty acids. "I'm not a physician, and do not tell people how to eat, but I can tell you what I do in my own home. I use only canola oil and olive oil."

Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Unregistered

It is good to see that the impact of excess omega six is begining to be looked at in trials.

I have previously posted that in one trial a host of gene and protein expressions are up and down graded by omega six in skeltal muscle in mice.

Endothelin B receptor (Ednrb) and CD40L which are amongst them unpregulated by a diet high in omega six them by a factor of TEN.

It is interesting that inflamatory genes were stated to be important in cancer.

Thank you interesting post.

RB