HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
doh2pa
Deceased

Bone/Muscle Pain with Taxotere

I just began Taxotere - every 3 weeks for 6 to 8 treatments. I expect the hair loss (not yet, but soon) and the fatigue but the muscle and bone aches on day 5 and 6 after infusion threw me for a loop. I feel like I've been worked over with a hammer! Has anyone else had this, and more importantly, is this my path for the next six months or will it subside till the next treatment??

Donna
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Ceesun

Yes, Yes, I am sorry to say- I did have that terible bone pain for about 8 days after each treatment. Sometimes I could not get out of bed. Don't want to be a "downer" but I amazed to see your comments as others on this site seem to be okay with it. I called it taxo"terror" but as we know everyone reacts differently to types of chemo--hang in there, you will get through it!!! I was on for 4 cycles. Regards, Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
stephanie59

Donna: I was on Taxol but same symptoms. You know I had forgotten the muscle and bone pain until I read your post. Just goes to show you that you really can forget bad times.

My pain would occur about 24 hours after the infusion . After the first time I was able to plan ahead and took a pain killer before it got bad.

Another thing I remember is feeling like I was walking on my ankles my feet would be so numb. Good luck, Stephanie

Last edited by stephanie59; 09-18-2006 at 08:48 PM..
stephanie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
janet11

taxotere and carboplatin

I'm on day 8 of my first Taxotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin.

Guess I'm lucky. I had some aches and pains that were easily managed with Tylenol or ibuprofin. Reflux, upset stomach, and diarrhea are all handled by over-the-counter meds. It's the "yuck mouth" that's driving me nuts (*smile*).

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
geraldine

Hi Donna,

I was on Taxotere 5 yrs ago as part of a clinical trial. Like you I had severe bone aches that would last about 10 days after infusion. I also had other symptoms ( too many to mention ) but it turned out I took a violent reaction.

I have found, while on this site, that there are a lot of people who had great results on this chemo, so not everyone is the same..Thank God !!

I hope all goes well for you and before you know it, it will be all over.
Hang in there... It will be hard but what's easy in this life....!

God Bless
Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
MJo

My boss and I were diagnosed with Her2 BC the same month. I got very sick with AC and couldn't work, she worked and was able to go to a wedding and a birthday party. I had a comparatively easy time with Taxol -- bone aches but not pain. She had to use percocet for severe pain with each Taxol infusion. All of that is behind us, thank God. Yes you certainly can get bone pain with the Taxanes. One thing I took away from treatment is an amazement and respect at the individuality of every body.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
kristen

Hi Donna,

I was on the same drugs you were, and as you know the first question they ask you, "Is there any pain?" I did have pain, but not right away. I didn't know what was goin on and I said I feel like a train hit me. They told me it was the bone marrow replenishing itself? Anyway, as time went on, it got worse as it accumulated. I ended up on pain pills. It took me a while to finally feel okay afterwards. I hope this doesn't happen to you. I know a lot of the women here took supplements to help them through this. You might want to post what you can add OTC to help you through your tx. And then check with your onc. to make sure it's okay...My personal onc. said they didn't want me to take anything new, that my body wasn't used to...(I don't know about that one.) So many different opinions, I was told not to eat fresh fruits or veggies, unless washed at least 3 times, where I know a gal, who's doctor told her to eat as much as she wanted. It's all kind of relative to you and what you feel comfotable with.

As everyone has stated, we all react differently, I Hope yours smooths out as you get in to it. Hang in there!
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Jean

Yes

Donna,
yes - I also experienced muscle ache had 6 trts. TCH...
Each treatment was different each time. The last treatment seemed the
strongest for muscle ache. It does not mean that each one you will react the same each time. I am now done and had my final treatment 2weeks ago!
Hang in there! It really does get better!
Good Wishes,

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Diane H

Oh yes, the bone pain was just terrible for me on taxotere. I'm the type to tough it out but that was a silly thing for me to do. After the second treatment I asked for pain relief and it was a godsend. I took vicodin or hydrocodone and it allowed me to continue working. Take the pain killers and you'll get through so much easier. Hugs to you, DIane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
doh2pa
Deceased

Thanks to all for your encouraging and honest posts. I know that each treatment could be different but it really helps me to hear about your experiences and know it's from the tax and not the cancer advancing (crazy, but you know....). The pain has gone away and so I hope to enjoy another good week and a half before the next treatment.

Donna
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote